Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Prednisone - Cortisol - Relevance? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Prednisone - Cortisol - Relevance?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prednisone - Cortisol - Relevance?  (Read 1530 times)
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

Prednisone - Cortisol - Relevance?
« on: Dec 19th, 2003, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1. Cortisol is a hormone - commonly referred to as the "stress hormone" - which occurs naturally in the body.  
 2. Prednisone is a synthetic form of cortisol.  
 3. Prednisone is known to be effective against CH.  
 4. Vigorous exercise causes an immediate rise in cortisol levels.
 5. Vigorous exercise has been known to abort an attack in progress
 6. Soon after vigorous activity is ceased, cortisol levels begin to drop - sometimes to a level lower than baseline amounts before leveling off.
 7. Vigorous activity has been known to trigger an attack.

Does anyone think that cortisol plays a role in CH? Has this been dicussed or refuted?

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Re: Prednisone - Cortisol - Relevance?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2003, 10:30am »

Here is something interesting regarding exercise, cortisol, growth hormone, and time of day. This suggests that the time of day ( relating to circadean rhythm ) influences the effect exercise has on these hormone levels.

"Exercise of appropriate intensity is a potent stimulus for GH and cortisol secretion. Circadian and diurnal rhythms may modulate the GH and cortisol responses to exercise, but nutrition, sleep, prior exercise patterns, and body composition are potentially confounding factors. To determine the influence of the time of day on the GH and cortisol response to acute exercise, we studied 10 moderately trained young men"
 It goes on to list the results.

The above exerpt lifted from here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=11397904&dopt=Abstract

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2003, 2:39pm »

Here is a bit about a relationship between serotonin and cortisol. Its mostly impossible to understand, but there are a few terms which I've seen in relation to CH. I've highlighted them in the following exerpt:

"Taken together, these data suggest that serotonin, locally released by intra-adrenal mast-like cells, may act as a paracrine factor to stimulate cortisol secretion in man. Our results also indicate that serotonin-induced corticosteroid production is mediated through activation of a serotonin4 receptor subtype positively coupled to adenylate cyclase."

The above lifted from here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=1374544&dopt=Abstract

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2003, 12:38pm »

Caffeine elevates cortisol levels.

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2004, 2:16pm »

Oh boy! More cryptic references to cortisol!

Cortisol Rapidly Suppresses Intracellular Calcium and Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel Activity in Prolactin Cells of the Tilapia

Cortisol is increased when you do vigorous exercise. This study says that cortisol does what verapamil does - blocks calcium channel activity - in certain kinds cells of a certain kind of fish. Cortisol may also block cluster relevant calcium channel activity. Too bad, when you rest after vigorous activity the cortisol goes way down, calcium channels come back on line and BOOM. Just a theory.

"Cortisol was previously shown to rapidly (10-20 min) reduce the release of prolactin (PRL) from pituitary glands of tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus). This inhibition of PRL release by cortisol is accompanied by rapid reductions in 45Ca2+ and cAMP accumulation. Cortisol's early actions occur through a protein-synthesis-independent pathway and are mimicked by a membrane impermeable analogue. The signaling pathway that mediates rapid, non-genomic, membrane effects of glucocorticoids is poorly understood. Using the advantageous characteristics of the teleost pituitary gland from which a nearly pure population of PRL cells can be isolated and incubated in defined medium, we examined whether cortisol rapidly reduces intracellular free calcium (Ca2+ i) and suppresses L-type voltage-gated ion channel activity in events that lead to reduced PRL release. Microspectrofluorometry, used in combination with the Ca2+-sensitive dye, fura2, revealed that cortisol reversibly reduces basal and hyposmotically-induced Ca2+i within seconds (P< 0.001) in dispersed pituitary cells. Somatostatin, a peptide known to inhibit PRL release through a membrane receptor-coupled mechanism, similarly reduces Ca2+i. Under depolarizing [K+], the L-type calcium channel agonist BAY-K-8644, a factor known to delay the closing of L-type Ca2+ channels, stimulates PRL release in a concentration-dependent fashion (P < 0.01). Cortisol (and somatostatin) blocks BAY-K-8644-induced PRL release (P < 0.01; 30 min), well within the time course over which its actions occur independent of protein synthesis and at the level of the plasma membrane. Results indicate that cortisol inhibits tilapia PRL release through rapid reductions in Ca2+ that likely involves an attenuation of Ca2+ entry through L-type voltage-gated Ca2+ channels. These results provide further evidence that glucocorticoids rapidly modulate hormone secretion via a membrane-associated mechanism similar to that observed with the fast effects of peptides and neurotransmitters."

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/00088.2003v1

PFDANs
-Curtis
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2004, 2:29pm by CJohnson » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss