Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 12:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I got the jab :) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I got the jab :)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I got the jab :)  (Read 391 times)
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

I got the jab :)
« on: Jan 9th, 2004, 2:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When I took my son to gp today I spoke to him about the Imigran jab and he looked it up and gave me it  Cheesy Cheesy talk about being happy  Grin  didnt get ut from chemist until after 5pm and stabbed myself with it - it was amazing - within 30 minutes I felt the pains starting to sub-side and now I am totally pain free.  Am wondering how long this will last  Undecided but one thing for sure is that it does work  Cheesy
He only gave me 2x0.5ml so I hope that if I need anymore they will give me them.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, will keep checking in to let you know how I am doing. Hope you are all coping well.

Maybe I`ll get some sleep tonite YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEE

sayyes
IP Logged

Please someone take this pain away and let me sleep!!!
pubgirl

Email

Re: I got the jab :)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 2:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hurrah

What a result! Congratulations Cheesy. I did warn you that they are very tight with them though. Just keep making appointments, then they'll prescribe more because they'll be sick of seeing you.

There are people in the UK who get large numbers on one prescription but I've forgotten how they do it, I can ask if you like (or you can of course)

SO glad you got what you need, and so glad it works for you.
Get the 02 as well and you're laughing (well maybe)

Wendy
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 3:36pm »

Do you know how long the effects of these jabs last, or is it a case of how severe the CH is at the time of sticking the needle in. I can laugh at this now as I know I now have something to relieve me of pain............for a while anyway. Huh
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:03pm »

Imitrex/Imigran is an abortive. It will only stop the CH you are having when you take the shot. No lasting effects per se.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:03pm by don » IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:07pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 4:03pm, don wrote:
per se.

When did you learn how to speak French? Grin

.........................jonny
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:28am »

Hi Don

Sort of figured out that one out now at Im up this morning with a blasting CH grrrrrrrrrrrrr and cant have another shot until 5pm tonite, at least I know how long they last now. Angry
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:39am »

Yup.

Now, make a pot of coffee.  Get a cold pack for your head and join rest of us in the late night hours.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:43am »

Janet

Time to get to that GP again and get the 02 as well, I use both depending on what the attack is like, you can use the 02 as many times as you like!

wendy
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 7:24am »

Rang the on-call GP this morning and he prescribed me another 2 todo me until Monday,althought I cant use it until 5pm tomorrow nite  Embarassed  he said that GP`s cant give me O2 until I see the neuro but at least they are giving me the jabs, so relief for now  Grin
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 8:51am »

Janet

Someone else here will put me right if the jabs are different, but I can use TWO Imigran nasals in any 24 hour period. I sometimes get a second attack an hour or so after the first, so I use another one.

Wendy
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 2:53am »

Wendy  

I have read the leaflet that came with the jabs and its the same as the nasal spray (maybe if I would read the leaflets before using I would know these things lol) but as I took the first jab at 5pm on Friday and the 2nd one at around 12 noon on Sat I dont think I was able to take the 3rd one until after 5pm on the Sat nite.????????  Will be on the phone at 9am this morning to get more as the ones I got from the on-call dr are used. I will defo be torturing them everyday for them until they give me a weeks supply at a time. I cant recall reading anywere in the leaflets that you cant use them long term.
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 3:06am »

Hi again Janet

There has been quite a bit of debate about long term use of any of the CH drugs (preventive and abortive)
and certainly the advice in the UK is that users of particular drugs such as Verapimil should take a 'holiday' from them occasionally.

There are people here and over there though who have used Imigran/trex for a lot of years, so I wouldn't worry, especially if you are episodic.

If it concerns you (and it does me as I avoid taking any drugs if I can) GET THAT BLOODY DOCTOR TO GIVE YOU 02!
 Grin
Wendy

Modified: You have got the timing right on the jabs, some people take more than the recommended in the 24 hours (not advised by the Drs)  and there is also a tip on this site (not the UK one) about splitting the jabs into smaller amounts so you can take more of them, but I am no expert in this.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2004, 3:08am by pubgirl » IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 7:29am »

Definitely use the "Imitrex tip" to the left to get two doses per shot.  

If you can get vials, you can get FIVE 0.25ml doses out of two 0.5ml vials.  They put a little extra in there to make it easy to draw up but if you put a little effort into it you can get every little bit out.  I go ahead and draw up the last bit in a third syringe when I draw up the second syringe, then fill it to 0.25ml when I open the next vial.

Good luck with the "jabs"!  It's good that you've got a cooperative GP but you need to make sure that you get an effective preventative  like verapamil.

Also, OUCH UK can lend you the appropriate meter for an oxygen tank until you see if it is effective for you.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
pubgirl

Email

Janet and UK clusterheads
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 1:57pm »

Janet (or any other UK clusterheads reading this)

Just a thought. Can't remember if I know where you live, but if getting to London sometimes is a possibility you can become a volunteer at Queens Square, (The London Institute of Neurology where Prof Peter Goadsby and his team work) and be treated for free by some of the best in the world.
They are currently looking for volunteers for 02 trials and nasal spray trials.
The reason for the 02 trials is not to check whether it works, it is just that there is no real proof and the NHS are threatening to make it hospital use only, so we need empirical data that it does work for Clusterheads.

I can let you know how if you want to volunteer

Wendy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss