Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 12:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex & Ins. Co. problems... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex & Ins. Co. problems...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex & Ins. Co. problems...  (Read 397 times)
manana
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Imitrex & Ins. Co. problems...
« on: Jan 11th, 2004, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm going thru a bad bout of ch's.  My imitrex prescription is 25 mg tablet: Take 1 or 2 tablets by mouth four times daily as needed.  I just picked up my last 9 tab supply & was told by the pharmacist that the Ins. Co. informed them that they will only pay for 9 tabs per month!  I  noticed on the Ouch website, an item titled "Cluster Headache Medications" which says: If you need more Imitrex than your insurance company will provide and your doctor is willing to prescribe it, you can contact Glaxo Smith Kline directly . . . 1-800-745-2967 . . . give them the information they ask for, your doctor's name & number, insurance company info, etc. and they will assisgn you a case worker who will contact your insurance company and hopefully get them to increase the number of doses."

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone tried working directly with Glazo Smith Kline &  what kind of cooperation did you receive.

Thanks!
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

Re: Imitrex & Ins. Co. problems...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 9:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Manana - Bonana  Grin

# 1 Do you take any kind of preventative ?

# 2 Have you tried Imetrix Injections, the pills usually   don't help clusterheads much.

# 3 That  Glaxo deal is only intended to help people in dire financial straits, they change ther m.o. all the time, you would need to call the number to find out if the program still exists and if you would qualify.  

#4 Have you tried oxygen?

# 5 Avoid a guy named jonny, bad news.  Grin

# 6 alternative to conventional treatments.
  http://www.clusterbusters.com/

Lee
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 10:10pm »

Welcome to the board. See if any of this helps. My Doctor wrote a letter to my insurance company and they increased the amount allowed. Its still not enough during a cycle but I can stock up during the off season.  
Check the links below for more info.

Great post Lee!  

PFDAN's
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 10:16pm »

Ok, I know some Ins. companies suck. But what i found to be the case in my experience is this..... My doctor wrote me a prescription and when i went to have it filled, i got the same crap as you. So i called my plan administrator and they said it was how the Doctor was writing the prescription. Soooo, I got my Doctor to re-write it as being needed for 4 times daily or something to that effect and i ended up with a massive amount of Imitrex.
Check with your plan administrator 1st to make sure they only allow you 9 pills per month. That isnt enough!

Patrick  Smiley
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 10:21pm »

You can try calling the phone number on the back of your insurance card.  Find out what their procedures are when you hit the limit on your meds, and your doctor prescribes more.  

With my insurance company, the doctor had to write "a letter of medical necessity" and fax it to the insurance company.  The insurance company then has a board that reviews these claims.  I was approved 3 days later for 30 shots a month.  That's probably the equivalent (money wise) of about 120 pills or more a month.  

Try the shots.  They work miracles.  The O2 also works real well for me, and I got that as well.  You just have to call, BE NICE, and work the program you are given.  

Good luck !!!!!!!!  If you need any more help, PM me.
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 10:22pm »

Ok, i kept this E-mail from my plan administrator. I know it might not apply to you, but remember, before i talked to them, I was getting the same runaround.

Here goes......

Today, Merck Medico stated if the perscription is written correctly- you should have no difficulty getting what you need.
Also, it would be much cheaper to do it mail order for 3 month supply.
For 1 month order to get you through:
Pills:
    Imitrex, 100mg 2 p.o. every day for 30 days. 60 tablets.
    (if you get over 21 days supply you will have to pay 2 co-pays. So, if you can get by with 21 day order for 42   tablets.you would only have to pay $16.00)

Spray:
    Imitrex 20mg spray.  2 sprays every day for 30 days. 60 doses or 63 doses since in a 9 dose supply.  

3 month Supply:
Pills:  Imitrex, 100mg 2 p.o. every day for 90 days: 180 tablets (2 every day)
Spray: Imitrex 20mg spray.  2 sprays every day for 90 days: 189 doses (21  packs)

Patrick, who never has to worry about imitrex again, and dont mind sharing with my friends in need!
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
AlienSpaceGuy
New Board Veteran

Greetings from outer space

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 11:25pm »

Hi manana,

Everything said in the other replies.

Plus, if everything else fails:

Imtrex pills come in 25, 50 and 100 mg dosage.
Bean-counters count beans pills, not mg's. Try to get a change of your prescription for 100 mg pills. These you can split in half (or quarters) for a lower dose and a corresponding longer supply.
IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods and hates snake oil vendors.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss