Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 3:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imigran jabs »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imigran jabs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imigran jabs  (Read 386 times)
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

Imigran jabs
« on: Jan 13th, 2004, 3:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone else who uses these get a weird and sort of tingly sensation working its way up through their bodies when they jab themselves??? I thought it was just because it was the first one I took but with every jab I get kinda "wacked" out but it feels kinda good as I can feel it working its way up to my CH and then PRESTO no more CH  Grin thankk God I found this. It is such a relief to have some sort of pain relief. Got another prescription from GP yesterday for another 2 jabs, they say they are not allowed to prescribe more than 2 at a time until I see the neuro  bigcry maybe if they had a CH themselves they would know how bad it was  hammer yep GP`s think they know it all.

Janet
IP Logged

Please someone take this pain away and let me sleep!!!
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

Re: Imigran jabs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 4:24am »

Try the imitrex tip on the left. I have been using it to extend the injections in my latest cycle and it works great. I used about 40x 1/4 to 1/2 doses in this cycle using 7 prescription refills, rather than the 20 refills I would normally have struggled to get or be able to afford, as I have to pay for my own meds.

I usually got the "flutters" with a full injection and it worked in about 10 mins to abort the CH.  

For me, using half or a third of a dose takes a few minutes longer, but I don't get the flutters.

Just be very careful taking the "kit" apart and putting it back together.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 7:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Janet

I get exactly the same feelings after using the Imigran nasal spray which is the same dosage I think. I also find it very hard to wind down and sleep after using it.
That's why I prefer oxygen for most attacks as it feels, to me , more 'natural' and the sleep comes more quickly afterwards.
I'm not sure why it happens, but I've always put it down to the drug's action on the blood vessels all over the body. I'm personally convinced it's not dangerous, I just don't like the feeling, so only use my Imigran for the real howlers.

Someone else here might know the reason more scientifically than that!

Wendy

Wendy
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 8:57am »

Am just off the phone with my GP who has prescribed me another 2 doses of imigran and has stated that these will be the last!  Angry   It makes no difference to him that I am in pain and suffering badly, what is wrong with the NHS, are GP`s only allowed to prescribe certain drugs and a certain amount of them. If I could afford it I would go private.  

Just sounding off  Angry

Janet
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 9:11am »

Do try and use the imitrex tip to extend the injections. You can do it! Just don't discuss this with your doctor at this stage.

Message me if you need help with this.

Keep hassling your doctor for more meds. Print out stuff from this board. Tell him you want a second opinion. Don't let him/her bully you. You bully the doctor for a change! Visit him during a cluster attack. That may just scare him!

Good luck
John
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 10:00am »

Janet

It is totally unethical for a GP to withhold the medication you need. Ask him why he won't give you any more.

There will be no good reason!
If he says it is dangerous, this is bollocks, so long as you don't exceed the dosage in 24 hours. Chronic CH sufferers take Imigran/trex over very long periods.

If it is cost, or any other similar reason, and he will not budge, go straight out to Reception and ask to see another Doctor telling them it is because the Doctor is unreasonably withholding the correct treatment for your condition.
If there is no other Doctor at the practice (which I doubt) change practices.
You have several more avenues after this if this doesn't work but I will save those for if you don't het any joy.

I really think it would help posting on OUCH UK, as people there have been through this with the NHS and can give very good advice.

Wendy
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 10:04am »

Also John, sorry, no offence to you but I totally disagree about printing off the stuff from this board.
Regrettably British GP's are VERY suspicious of things from 'the Internet' and practically throw it in the bin in front of your face sometimes!

Sufferers here have found it better to print off the stuff from the Doctors at the London Institute of Neurology (Matharu and Goadsby) , not because it is better, but because the Brit GP's recognise it as a reputable source and often are prepared to read it.

I have sent Janet the link but can post it again here if necessary

Wendy

Also Janet DON'T DON'T MENTION THE SPLITTING THE JABS (as John says, keep that to yourself) to your Doctor, they go apeshit about it here!
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2004, 10:07am by pubgirl » IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 1:09pm »

Hi Wendy

I left the England to emigrate in 1974 and had forgotten just how parochial the doctors are there.

Here they do pretty much what you want them to provided you are assertive and know them well. My doc is ok, but my problem is that I have to pay for all my own medicine and treatment except for hospitalisation.  

Imigran 2x injection refills cost R400 which is about 35 UK Pounds, so even using the imitrex tip it cost me around 350 pounds for my cycle. Last cycle I used 25 refills which cost me around 875 pounds. Way too much!

Have you tried splitting the injections yourself. I was very wary of trying it until I read one of BlueMeanies posts about tightly pinching big bit of thigh and just pushing the needle in. It turned out to be less painful then the auto injector! And it worked great for me.

Cheers and good luck with the meds Janet.  
PS read my detox post on the meds side - may be worth a try?

John
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 1:31pm »

yes John, they are often parochial AND arrogant.
There are a few good ones though, and the ones that are left are getting better through education, but it is stories like Janet's that make brick walls and heads come to mind!

The good news is that not so long ago, everyone had the same story as Janet, now on the OUCH board we get quite a few more success stories too, where GP's are becoming much more clued up and also more willing to listen. The BNF entry is a huge step forward in this.

Here's hoping for you Janet

Wendy
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 2:38pm »

My GP has told me that until the neuro consultant has actually confirmed that I suffer CH they cannot prescribe me anymore!! They have seen me at my worst, especially at the very start when my head hurt so much I was unable to wash or brush my hair, couldnt even wash my face. I was in so much pain at that time that I didnt give a damn what state I was in when I first went to see them. There is only 1 Gp in our group surgery that agrees with me getting imigran and he is on bloody holiday  Sad and wont be back for a fortnight. God I dont know what I will do.
I have a ceiling fan in my living room and sit with it on all day long, even if Im freezing, to give me extra air to inhale as my living room window is locked and cant get it opened................groan groan.....

If I had private insurance I bet I would be treated differently but on the NHS they just wont give.

Janet

IP Logged

jonny

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 8:12pm »

on Jan 13th, 2004, 3:38am, Janzokris wrote:
Does anyone else who uses these get a weird and sort of tingly sensation

When I used it the past I have but only in the face, I only shot it im my upper arm....that could be why just the face.

................................jonny
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 8:23pm »

on Jan 13th, 2004, 3:38am, Janzokris wrote:
Does anyone else who uses these get a weird and sort of tingly sensation working its way up through their bodies when they jab themselves???

Only in my scalp...starts about 60 seconds after injecting into my leg.  The only real side effect I get any more.  It lasts for about 15 minutes or so.

Good luck getting more, and definately check out the tip.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14th, 2004, 4:52am »

Janet

Get the cellphone number of the GP on holiday and try phoning or texting him. Or email him and all the other partners to let them know just how shabbily they are treating someone in pain.

Phone them at night when they are on call and tell them you just cannot cope with the pain. Pester the shit out of the mean bastards until they give in.

Contact the neuro you are supposed to see and plead with him too. Don't just wait.

But... if you have to wait 2 weeks for meds maybe give my detox idea a try. It can't hurt.

Hang in there girl

John
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss