Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « disability question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   disability question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: disability question  (Read 396 times)
k9n8
New Board Newbie
USA 

finding ways around something becomes a circle

disability question
« on: Sep 13th, 2004, 3:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am on my second week of a month off for short term leave due to CH. When this month is up I will have 2 more weeks that I can take but that is my last 2 weeks available to me for a year (not a calander year). I have used up all of my paid time off as a condition for using a short term leave.  I am still in cycle and fear that when my time is up, nothing will have changed and I DO NOT WANT TO GO ON UNEMPLOYMENT but I guess I will do what I have to do, not like I have a lot of choice working or not.
But we all eventually get to our question and here is mine. Does anyone have any advice for disability as opposed to short term leave?  Anything else? The beast is reducing the ways I can support my family.....

(I bet if we all got together at once we could pull off one big heist or solve one big caper or some crap....)

k9n8
IP Logged

"GOOD, BAD, I'M THE GUY WITH THE GUN." -Ash
Carl_D

Email

Re: disability question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If you are episodic, I would do everything in my power to keep my job. However, if you are chronic and become unable to function normal, then disability is a shitty last resort when all else fails. It is hard to get disability for 'headaches' and you will be rejected the first 2 times you apply. On the third time, you will have a court hearing and will need all of the medical documentation on your case history. Also, you want to get a lawyer who specializes in Social Security cases, and doesn't collect a fee unless you win.
If you're episodic though, I know how it can wreck your life (God do I know) but I would fight it every step of the way to remain employed. It helps if you have an abortive and only have to bail for a bit and then can go back to work. I worked from the day I turned 15, and lost many a job due to the CH's, but I came out swinging every time and always landed on my feet - oftentimes in a better situation. However, when I went chronic in '98, it got so bad I couldn't even leave my apartment due to the constant barrage of attacks. I'd come out of one for about 20-45 minutes and then go right back into another one. I wound up losing everything I had worked my whole life for, including my dignity as a human being. After I hit total bottom and became homeless for a period, I had no choice but to go on disability - and I HATE IT! I am working right now on trying to become self-sufficient once more and not have to rely on the delapidated system. It's proving to be a challenge though, since I recently was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia that is trying to cripple me, but I am fighting back harder and harder.
Hope my response is helpful to you. If need be, if it is only temporary - go on unemployment until you get a better job. i know, easier said than done.

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 10:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 13th, 2004, 3:53pm, Carl_D wrote:
It is hard to get disability for 'headaches' and you will be rejected the first 2 times you apply.

I disagree with this statement.  
(1) Proof of diagnosis from Neurologist. (This paperwork will make you or break you)
(2) Must be chronic condition (lasting for at least 1 full year)
(3)Diagnosis of Chronic Cluster Headache is seen as a legitimate disability by the federal goverment
(4) After 2 full years of recieving Medicare benefits, the state must also provide state medicaid (including Medical, Hospital, Prescription drugs, dentist, etc)
(5) You DON"T need a lawyer. You just need the right documentation. If all documentation is in order, they CANNOT refuse to pay disability.

My disability was approved very quickly the first time with no lawyer. Benefits started right away. Once your on it, it's hard to get back off of it. They will keep you poor but with medical benefits.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it if I were you unless you are chronic and there's no end in sight. But thats just my opinion. I realize that Clusterheads gotta do what they gotta do.

Goodluck with whatever decision you make.

Unsolved
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 10:57pm »

I applied for SSDI based on chronic ch and depression.  I was having 8 ha a day ch plus 8 migraines a month and had several neuros documenting my diagnosis and that i couldn't work.  I saw a shrink for the depression it caused and was put on an antidepressent because I felt suicidal and depressed.  I won on first try for depression.  They denighned my  ha go figure.  I was approved for 1 year and then a review.  I had a phycotic eposode and was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was approved for 3 more years for disability.  i am up for review in Feb/05?  I am taking advantage of the ticket to work program and am taking college classes so I can reenter the work force.  I made 1/6 of my income on disability and had benefits.  It covered the bills.  I just couldn't function anymore at a job.  I had no choice.  Now I seem to be eposodic and I am trying to return to the work force.  I just hope that my mental condition doesn't interfer to much and makes it possible.  I want to work.  I am so sick of sitting at home for the last 5 years.  I am really struggleing through college and could use all the prayers i could get around now.  Good luck to you and the decisions you have to make.  SSDI helps but it is no fun being there.  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 10:34pm »

Hello I have had cluster headaches for almost 17 years in Nov of 1999 I turned chronic went thru 5 different neuros and ended up with first one I started with. In May 2002 I went to Mayo clinic as a last chance to rid myself of these nasty clusters without having to be on drugs rest of life and had an operation called trigeminal rhizotomy where they went into skull and cut trigeminal nerve at base of brain causeing my face to become permantly numb rest of life ( sad thing I only got 3 months relief) (and I have to watch out for eye infections because eye is even numb and never know if I got anything in it so i have to use tear drops every other hour to keep it clean) even been put in hospital for about 6 DHE treatments with relief for only 1 week to 3 months in Jan 03 I was layed off from work due to a staff reduction (yeah right) In 2 weeks I started paperwork for disability and collected unemployment. In june 2003 I was denied for SS disability so right away I appealed went to see laywer for free consultation he said get more Dr records as far back even when I was only episodic PLUS I wrote a 17 page letter of how my life has been since chronic missing work no family life meds I had taken and current meds and their side effects and in Nov 2003 3 days after unemployment ran out I was approved on my 1st appeal they go from day you first filed and take off 5 months and give you a big back pay check plus my son was only 17 and going to high school he also was given $ til he turned 18 or school ended so guess what I am trying to say is get every single medical report dr visit ER visit (which I was going there every 7-10 days) even have a friend or co-worker write a letter of how they see you suffer and such like miss work and other important things in your life I hope this is of help to you but please remember I am chronic.   gore2424   Terry
P.S. when had operation I was on short term disability from work after 11 days the company only paid me 60% of my wages for 8 weeks I was off. I am getting along ok on the SS $ because I am married and my wife works as a CNA and it pays good I am now just a house husband Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss