Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH are back after 3 years - it's 4am »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH are back after 3 years - it's 4am
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH are back after 3 years - it's 4am  (Read 484 times)
net5354
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

CH are back after 3 years - it's 4am
« on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1am and 4am: My headaches are back again.  They ARE CH.   No doubt.  Been to hell and back.  I didn't know about this site till now.  Been battling these for 20 years.  No more MD's.

Tried a lot of meds.  I am writing, afraid somewhat to sleep right now, but I want to relay what I found seems to relieve the pain - and it's OTC too.  No, this isn't a commercial.  I have helped a lot of people with this, and pray to god it will keep working.  The attacks will continue during my cperiod, but I can deal with them.

Try this:
Exedrine Migrane - but, you have to make some modicifications:
  1) Never buy coated ones
  2) No generics!
  3) Bust em up and take with soda or pop for faster disolving.
  4) One alone may work, or try one and a half.  Aspirin is rough on stomach.  
  5) If it's morning, have coffee too (caffeine)

Don't bother with Advil Migrane, or any other OTC that says 'migrane'.  Won't work, and don't know why.

Presc meds like amytrip left me wasted too much, and lost effectiveness.  This otc stuff works, and allows me to deal with my headaches during the CH period.    

Their Cause:

I am also about 99% sure that they returned due to my own stupidity - I shoveled gravel out of a pick up and strained my back.  I know the cause is in there somewhere - but no more tests!  I can deal with it.

I am sure this will help someone.  This is my second time up tonight with CH,  and it gets severe in 5 min - but I am back asleep in maybe 15 if all goes well.  No more suicidal thoughts. (I could on and on..)

Trying to excersise, in my opinion, while having an attack, only makes them last longer.  It's what 'it' wants you to do.  The more motionless you remain while waiting for Exec Mig to take effect, the better.  I like to stand.

My opinion:  Smoking doesn't seem to matter.  Alcohol can kill you during this time period.  

I am open for questions, as long as you don't bombard me.  Here is my email:  net5354@yahoo.com

I am going back to bed now.  I'm sore, but will sleep for a while at least.  The period will end.

If I wanted to talk about the hell I used to go through with these things, you would know I am truly a CH sufferer.  I have tried it all.  Been there - done that.  I am writing this to help someone.  I had hoped - after 3 years - they were gone for good.  They weren't.

And I love chiropractors - but they can make them worse - unknowingly.  Beware.  

C
IP Logged
Carl_D

Email

Re: CH are back after 3 years - it's 4am
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm sorry to say this but, if Excedrin Meegraine is working to 'abort' your 'cluster' attacks - you do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have cluster headaches. All that shit is made of is Acetominaphin, aspirin and caffiene, which has no effect whatsoever on CH. With a cluster headache, you can take Vicodin (acetominaphin and Hydrocodone, a strong painkiller) and it won't do shit. Sorry. You can't convince me that you're a good enough shot to bring down an elephant with a BB gun. Like wise, Excedrin Meegraine will not work for CH. If you strained your back shoveling rocks, what you have is tension/muscle strain headaches that Excedrin I'm sure does work with. Just stating the facts. You can't put a Barney band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
marieinthesprings
New Board Newbie
USA 

2 the world U R 1 person,2 1person U R the world

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:33am »

This is my first cycle in 5 years.. I am happy i had such a long time without the beast but am also so depressed that this BS is back in my life....Meds have changed a lot since mine started....I hate taking meds.........when i lived in Germany I met with a homopathic doc, i tried his advice and personalized meds, didn't work...I have tried Feverfew.....didn't work........I submit now, bring it on what ever it takes to knock the beast out........Hope your cycle ends soon net.........cheers..........Marie
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:13am »

Quote:
Exedrine Migrane - but, you have to make some modicifications:  
  1) Never buy coated ones  
  2) No generics!  
  3) Bust em up and take with soda or pop for faster disolving.  
  4) One alone may work, or try one and a half.  Aspirin is rough on stomach.  
  5) If it's morning, have coffee too (caffeine)  

1. Or uncoated
2. Or Brand names
3.Go ahead and bust em up, it dont matter.
4. Tough on stomach? Damn. They are so effective for my CH.
5. Have 3 cups and throw the excedrine in the trash

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:14am by don » IP Logged
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:36am »

If you have CH and you are getting relief from what you're doing, godspeed and congratulations. Personally, I've probably eaten my own body weight in OTC medications. Tylenol, Excedrin, Migraine this and Sinus that, blah blah fargin' blah.

If what you're doing is working for you, then that's where the rubber meets the road. Thank you for being willing to share, and hopefully, it will help someone else too. PFDAN's to you.

-Frank
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 1:17pm »

I suggest that you read the stuff on the left and take the quiz.  I've screwed my body up on many occasions and had no corelation to CHs.  Somehow in the past a nasty cold or the flu lined up with the onset but I simply attributed it to mere coincidence.

I could swallow every bottle of Excedrin Migraine in the county I live in and die of an overdose still clutching my head from the relentless pain of a CH.  Doesn't even make a tiny dent.  Shit, I've been shot w/ morphine with no results other than confusion and hallucinations.  Pain meds are of no use against CHs.
IP Logged
net5354
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 9:21am »

Maybe, for the smartasses on here, I wasn't clear.  I have had these attacks for 20+ years, on and off.  If the docs knew what caused them, maybe they wouldn't diagnose them as CH - but they do.  

The Exced Migran doesn't stop them like a wonder drug, but they go away faster than with anything else I've tried.  I was only passing along what worked for me.

Maybe I failed to include the .a.m. hours when I would wake up with one, and try walking and walking outside, hoping to relieve the pain.  Collapsed in a front yard at 4am once, hoping to god that a cop would drive by and see me - and take me to a hospital.

Or when I would sit in a car and the vibrations would bring them on - in 2-5 minutes - and the pain was so bad I wanted to pull my hair out - and water ran from eye.

You all know the story.  Sorry if mine are different.

I think it's a nerve in my back - neuro said it was cluster headaches.  

They eventually end, after a period of a month or two.

They might not come back for weeks, or months, or if I am lucky, a few years.

Sorry if I bothered anyone with my problem.

IP Logged
MOMO3
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:37pm »

Hey sorry they jumped on you.  My brother has clusters and has for 10 years.  He's chronic and has been to Diamond Headache Clinic 2 times for Histimine Treatment and has taken every known med with no avail.  However, he has told me in some instances he can abort a headache using Excedrin Migraine as soon as he feels the twinge.  Different things work for different people, who knows maybe its just placebo. Grin   Anyway if it works for you that is great, keep fighting the good fight.    

A concerned supporter  Grin
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:47pm »

Yep...I can use Excedrin migraine to abort a shadow if I catch it in time.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jonny

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 3:14pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 4:57am, net5354 wrote:
 They ARE CH.   No doubt.    

I am truly a CH sufferer.  

Have you been diagnosed?

It seems that you are trying hard to ram down our throats that you suffer CH.....Why?

BTW: Excedrine and Excedrine meegraine are the exact same thing....read the ingredients Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2004, 3:15pm by jonny » IP Logged
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 3:47pm »

hey net,

it felt good to find us, didn't it Grin

I used to pop extra strength excedrins like candy and i know what you mean that it HAS to be the excedrin - nothing else.  I used to slug coffee with the excedrins - totally relate to the thinking you have.  Thing is it's mostly a "comfort zone" we cling to because the medications prescribed by the docs do diddley.  As time has gone on, i've stopped taking the excedrin but still cilng to my strong coffee.  The "magic" is in the caffeine.  Excedrin happens to be loaded with it too.

There is some awsome info here on oxygen as an abortive.  Years ago i had a tank delivered with the little nose plug.  It did not work at all and i chalked it up to just another failed attempt.  However, when i found this place i learned about using oxygen with specific modifications which i was thrilled to discover WORK Smiley  Read the info on it and give it a shot.

PS:  i too happen to think that all the frantic activity we feel compelled to do while suffering an attack CAN aggravate the situation Smiley even though it does take time and practice to remain as calm as possible***

Well wishes,
kim
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 3:49pm »

on Dec 18th, 2004, 3:14pm, Jonny wrote:
BTW: Excedrine and Excedrine meegraine are the exact same thing....read the ingredients Grin
Wrong Jonny, the package insert for the later has the addition "see your doctor if the headaches pain worsens". This great improvement caused the FDA to recognise excedrin migraine as a new medicament. See here.   Roll Eyes  

As to the comments of the non-smartass:   Lips Sealed  

IP Logged
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 10:06pm »

Those that suffer with clusters for decades need no go-ahead from anyone.

I am disgusted at the turn this thread took.  

PS:  It's after 10pm.  I don't give a flying flip who gives me what.

We do what we gotta do and that's fucking THAT.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2004, 10:08pm by kimh » IP Logged
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 10:52pm »

You miss my point BM.

No one said aspirin was a cure all.

I shudder to think you've read and seen all here and all you could come up with to someone YOU'VE NEVER EVEN  MET was those warm amd cuddly words on the internet............
Yick.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 12:47am »

By doctors I hope you mean a neurologist. This is just my opinion, but I think the only thing working on the cluster is the caffiene. One of my first neuros recommended an aspirin with coke a cola. What ever works for you is great, but I am skeptical. Once the episode is in full swing a ton of aspirin and coke dont do anything. As for the smart a$$ thing, what you described is pretty lame for treating CH at least the ones I have, so try to understand other perspectives and dont be so defensive. Hope your doing better..ie,imitrex..O2.
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

i can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 4:29am »

so, i've suffered with the beast for years, except i didn't know the beast's name before: CH. i swallowed all kinds of sinus meds and antibiotics as a result. did some work? i would have said yes at the time because this excruciating pain went away in 40 minutes to an hour or so. now i know that the reason the pain ended is because that's what CH's do--they just stop eventually.

after finally being educated on this thing, the only script i was given for now until i see the neuro is Relpax. In a strange way, it sort-of works for me as a preventative/abortive, but I too take it with Excedrin Migrane because something about that combo helps the effects of the Relpax to work a little better. I've since learned that the caffeine speeds up the metabolization of many medications. so this all sort-of makes sense.

however, now that i'm totally tapped out of Relpax, and I have this bottle of Excedrin Migraine here to keep me company until my first neuro appt.  the only true use i've found for this bottle of meds is it has a cool rattle/percussive sound when you shake it. groooovy! headbanger
IP Logged

Teaudire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

i can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 4:56am »

PS

My best OTC treatment:

1) cans of ice-cold coke (or your favorite flavor). stock several of these in frig.

2) when shadows start bringin ya down, pull one out, and rest the ridge of the bottom of the can right between your nose and your eye. fits snugly, can apply a moderate amount of soothing cold pressure without freezing your eyelid shut.

3) when can begins to warm up, rotate with another can.

4) if you get thirsty in the process, pop one open and drink.
IP Logged

Teaudire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Melissa

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 9:03am »

I have found that asprin, ibuprofen or acetemenophin cause rebounds for me, so I use naproxum sodium (Aleve) for my shadows.  As for full blown attacks, nothing touches them except trex for me as O2 stopped working for me last cycle.  I used to get by on no meds with just O2,  motion sickness otc pills (the name escapes me at the moment) before bedtime to prevent the REM stages of sleep (this would work too, not always, but sometimes), hot showers with cold packs on my head and neck, having the A/C on full blast in my car with my face in front of the vent, and lots of hot, strong coffee.

mel
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 9:17am »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 9:03am, Melissa wrote:
motion sickness otc pills (the name escapes me at the moment)  
mel

Dramamine?
And some take Bynadrill Benidril Bennydrill Benny Hill oh screw it. Just stick with Dramamine
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 9:19am »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 9:17am, BobG wrote:

Dramamine?

yeah, that stuff Grin
IP Logged
Jonny

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 1:42pm »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 9:03am, Melissa wrote:
 motion sickness otc pills (the name escapes me at the moment) l

Dramamine Grin  Kiss
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss