Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « After 3 years.....they are back »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   After 3 years.....they are back
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: After 3 years.....they are back  (Read 353 times)
docdog
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

After 3 years.....they are back
« on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello to everyone. This is my first post.

I'm new to this Board, but have been through this experience before. 52 years old and 3 years pain free, I thought they were gone. Once again, it is starting slowly, low intensity, infrequent. But for the past 2 weeks, everything in increasing. Periodically, have a real bad one.

Took a day of vacation from work today to do some Xmas shopping and damn if I didn't wake up with one. Lasted about 40 min. Shadow is becoming daily way of life now.

Been episodic for about 14 years. I've been through all the preventative meds., treatments, Imitrex, O2, exercise, water treatment, feverfew... and nothing really worked. Was told by my neurologist that if you get out of a cycle, are over 50, and stay PF for a extended period of time, statistics show that it is infrequent that they will come back. Anyone heard that type of thing before?  Help.
 Huh
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

Re: After 3 years.....they are back
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 9:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 17th, 2004, 8:32am, docdog wrote:
Was told by my neurologist that if you get out of a cycle, are over 50, and stay PF for a extended period of time, statistics show that it is infrequent that they will come back. Anyone heard that type of thing before?  Help.
 Huh

No.  CH's do not have a certain time schedule (many are getting hit when they least expect their cycle to come), nor is there a certain age where they end.  There have been people over the age of 50 who are JUST starting to get them.  I'm very sorry to hear your pain is back, take the time to read all the button links to the left and welcome to the family.

take care,
Smileymel
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 1:07pm »

Really blows.  At the beginning when the beast is just sneaking up, I'm hopeful that it's a false alarm.  I break out the O2 and it usually knocks the first few CHs dead in their tracks.  The screwed thing is you know for sure it's CHs because the O2 is working.  Then the beast releases its full fury.  Thankfully you're like me --  They will go away.  I'm surprised the trex shots don't help???

Aslo odd that they started in your mid/late 30s?  A few of my neuros said for me to expect that they'll fade away in my late 40s or 50s.  I'm still hoping...
IP Logged
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey, Dawg. Welcome to the board and to this crazy family. I'm so sorry you have a reason to be here, but glad you found us. You're a veteran at dealing with these things, so you've got your arsenal prepared, I'm sure. Meanwhile, keep on hanging in there, try to let yourself relax inside and "unplug" your reaction to the pain, if you can. It sounds impossible but it's not, and it does help; if only for the reason that you aren't bashing your head against stuff and giving yourself ugly bruises on your forehead...  Undecided

Keep up the good fight.

Noticing your nickname: Were you a medic/corpsman?

-Frank
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 1:33pm »

Hi docdog.......Brad is pushin thru his 3rd year and due but so far so good.......so far.......he's went a 4 year cycle before. Yeah wouldn't it be nice to be over it and done with it after 50.....then 50 would be nifty !!! But not heard too much around here of that theory being a tried and true'd one. Stress has been pushin on Brad's ch door.....jus hopein the hinges hold Pam  

Nice ta meet ya by the way.........................
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 2:06pm »

From what's been posted over the years -- they go away and just when you think they're gone - Oops here they are again. I think they do that just to play with your mind.....

Hope this cycle is a short one and that you have another 30 years before another one hits.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 3:30pm »

My longest respite has been 2 years and 4 months.  My cycle started up again in September and now I am in my 3rd month.... my luck, it will end Jan 2nd!   Angry

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:12am »

Welcome aboard but sorry you had a return visit from the beast...... Anyway,

I'm 58 and my last attack was in  1991, 13 years ago. Having it disappear in one's 40s is unusual. I have no real idea why it happened. There is some slight evidence of an age factor though but it hasn't gotten us far.  

Now that you're pulling rather than pushing 50, maybe you'll be getting a break.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:26am »

I'm really sorry to hear it is back.  I'm 31 and I've been chronic since I was twenty so I'm afraid I don't have any real advice/info on the age thing other than what the Diamond Ha Clinic told me almost seven years ago which was that most people grow out of this by the time they are in their thirties.  Shows how much they know.  Sorry you're here, glad you found us.  Hang in there!!!
IP Logged
cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 8:00am »

Sounds like a carbon copy of what I went thru.  Started at age 13 and it was hell.  Was lucky enough to have them subside somewhat over the last 3 years until last December which now is a blur.  Spent the holidays at home alone battling The Beast.  Had some shadows from time to time in the last year but luckily that's as far as it went. For me, the older I get, the fewer CHs I get.  Hoping with all of my heart that today is better for you!
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 8:18am »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 9:50am, Melissa wrote:
CH's do not have a certain time schedule (many are getting hit when they least expect their cycle to come), nor is there a certain age where they end.  There have been people over the age of 50 who are JUST starting to get them.  I'm very sorry to hear your pain is back, take the time to read all the button links to the left and welcome to the family

They started for me when I hit the 40.  No rhyme or reason to each episode as to when it starts or ends.

get a good doc and ask any questions you need to here.

Kevin M
IP Logged
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 8:59am »

I was without the beast for a year or so, then this past spring it returned.   Im 50, and had hopes that I had grown out of the things.  Started kinda small, then grew into a monster.  Verapamil helps me alot to avoid.  Oxygen and Imitrex helps me abort.  Check out the Clusterbusters----I tried that alternative and have had great results.  Good luck.  Hope you have pain free days forever.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 12:16pm »

Welcome to the family! Sorry you had to go thru chs to get here though...I truly wish the 50's thing was true...but I can tell you that it isn't ...sorry for the bad news...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 5:58pm »

Hi Doc... Like you, my hubby has a 2-3 year remission... sorry you are hurting but welcome to the family... You will find a wealth of information and a great group of NUTZ (((did I say nutz))) fun lovin people that will make the best of this horrendous experience.......love to you ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss