Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 7:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax and Me  ;;D »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax and Me  ;;D
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax and Me  ;;D  (Read 326 times)
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

Topamax and Me  ;;D
« on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As I wrote a few weeks back the doc put me on topamax a low dose 50 mg a day. Well after 3 night of the worst ones I have had in a while he has uped it to a 100 mg a day and told me not to worry we can still go higher. Roll Eyes Maybe, but exactly how stupid can one human become,  Shocked geez at 50 I had to question myself several times!!!!Cool
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
becky8

Email

Re: Topamax and Me  ;;D
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Gena,
I was wondering how you were doing on Top? How is Thomas? Please tell him we miss him and hurry back! Also tell him Merry Christmas!!!Hope you both stay PF!!
IP Logged
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:46pm »

Oh Gena, I hope it helps, I went up to 100, no relief and man was I stoopid, lists, lists and more lists, oh I got lost on the way home too once Roll Eyes

Wishing you all the best and hope for some pf time, keep us posted k?
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:48pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 4:13pm, Gena wrote:
Maybe, but exactly how stupid can one human become,    

Don't ask!   LMAO!

Miss ya Homey!!  Holla at me~!

tina
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:52pm »

Sounds REAL familiar.  I was at 100 having worse hits than before taking it and the neuro upped it to 200.  The hits got still worse and I was having such vivid nightmares it was just crazy.  The cure was definitely worse than the disease.  Not to mention losing the 50 IQ points that I still haven't gotten all of them back, yet.

I'm glad it works for some, but not for me.  Sheesh!

Good luck.

Gator
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:54pm »

Topa turns out the light in the 'mathematics' section of my skull.

On 100 Topa a week or two ago I took my daughter and a shitload of her friends out for an evening of quality mexican food.

Paying the bill I could not for the life of me even begin to figure out what 20% of the total was for the tip.

I thought that was bad.

Then I could not add the two figures together.  No shit.  Simple addition... the concept escaped me.  I laughed my ass off.   crackupcrackupcrackup

/on nothing now.  PF.  topa & sips did me.  see the meds section for details.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:00pm »

I tried 600mg of topamax and it just made me dummer   and out of it and did nothing for my headaches.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:09pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 5:00pm, Karla wrote:
I tried 600mg of topamax and it just made me dummer   and out of it and did nothing for my headaches.

Oooo Karla... Topa has a therapeutic window.  If you exceed that window it is said to make whatever you are treating, CH in our case, a bit worse.

600mg is really high, based on my own very limited experience.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 9:41pm »

It was my miracle drug. Put me in remission for several years without many side effects except a little forgetfullness (I use post-it notes for that). Got up to 400 mg a day for a while, but got suicidal (another little side effect). One of my buds on the mb noticed that (I thought it was just the holiday depression or something). Got the dose back down to 100mg and got over that one, but it finally stopped working and I had to get off it.

After months off it, I went back on 100mg a day and had reactions I didn't know existed. Go figure Huh Huh.

Anyhow, hope it stops the headaches like it did mine for a number of years. Post it notes do help. It's just trying to remember what word you "meant" to use and can't think of it that bothered me.....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just a reminder: I got stones twice while taking Topamax

Kidney stones & CH:

About 1 in 50 adults taking Topamax have developed kidney stones. They are more common in men and in those who have had them before. They also may be more likely to occur if Diamox (acetazolamide) or Zonegran (zonisamide) is also taken or if the ketogenic diet (a special diet sometimes used to control seizures in children) is followed. Topamax therefore should be used cautiously in people taking Diamox or Zonegran or using the ketogenic diet.  
To help prevent kidney stones, drink plenty of water, juice, or other fluids (8 glasses every day for adults). Sharp pains in your side or lower back may signal the onset of a kidney stone. Consult a doctor immediately or go to the emergency room
IP Logged
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 11:11pm »

Going to call the doctor again! started to 100 mg Fri night getting 4 hits in a 24 hours (kip 7-9) Thomas is a god send. Don't know what I would do with out him. He is in Cycle and yet he some how manages to take care of me and my mess of a life!!!! Roll Eyes Tongue
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 11:29pm »

Topamax worked for me along with the patch...but had to stop it cause i was totally braindead...and not from the peroxide bottle either  Grin....just went on zonegram..suppose to be similar but without the side effects..will keep you posted on it, sis...God bless...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss