Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Counting pennies and such! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Counting pennies and such!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Counting pennies and such!  (Read 789 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Counting pennies and such!
« on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think somewhere along the line either before or after Nashville, someone brought up something about saving spare change to get to the next convention.  Or maybe I dreamed up that someone said that!

Anyhow, I have this old "bank" from when my dad worked for Tension Envelopes in St. Louis ('85-'89).  It even has a crack in it, but I throw change in there when my wallet is getting too fat from small change...same with the small pouch I carry for nursing.  I like to dump the pennies.

Ordinarily I would take them to the bank and deposit them into my account or exchange them for money, but I decided that all the change I throw into this bank is going towards helping to get to the next convention!  Well......you may think that this is kinda stupid, but really....even if I saved up $15 over a year, wouldn't that be a help?  hehehe

Right now the grand total is..........

$9.25!!!

Is it time for the next convention yet?????????

Luv y'all,
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Jonny

Email

Re: Counting pennies and such!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a 5 gallon water jug (the plastic kind) and it took me close to five years to get it 3/4 full....$1241.83....it weighed about 250 pounds....LOL

Right now it weighes about 85 pounds and im cashing the sucker in for my trip to Phoenix next month.

They key to saving change.........never give the cents on a purchase, if its $3.52...give four ones, this way you always get change Grin

Works for me  Wink
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:16pm »

Quote:
They key to saving change.........never give the cents on a purchase, if its $3.52...give four ones, this way you always get change  

Bingo!

The second key is never dip into the jug.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:28pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 6:00pm, Lizzie2 wrote:
saving spare change to get to the next convention.  
Anyhow, I have this old "bank"...  I like to dump the pennies.

all the change I throw into this bank is going towards helping to get to the next convention!

Right now the grand total is..........

$9.25!!!

Proud of ya Lizzie.   WinkWay to plan ahead hun.  In a Texas roadside "by the hour" motel, you're already good for two hours; should be long enough to earn the rest.   Shocked  Lips Sealed  Cool  Roll Eyes  Kiss

uhh... of course, selling lemonade.

pennies from heaven for ya!    Smiley   Grin

Kevin M
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:41pm »

I'm trying to be a better financial planner because all of the sudden a few weeks ago, I realized that due to circumstances out of my control, I only had around $300 left in my bank account, and I owed around $700 for rent...not to mention other bills, medications and such!  My own personal account dropped down to $13.  So yeah...my dad was pretty pissed off at me, to say the very least!

We sold every last share of IBM stock that I've had in my name since I was a child.  This has helped me pay for rent, a few of the medical bills, and the regular bills like cable, phone, etc. Smiley

I got paid finally yesterday, so I just made a payment on my credit card.  I only have one credit card, and right now the balance is kind of high, but I always pay above the minimum balance each month, and I hope to have it paid off completely in January by using some of my loan money once it comes to me!

Guess I gotta learn this stuff sometime!!!!   Roll Eyes

A word of advice to any dads out there:  yelling at your child about her poor management of money will not help matters until your child realizes how badly she messed it up on her own and vows to fix it!  So you can say something...but try not to yell or be mean. Smiley  Let them mess up...they learn more that way!  At least I did!!!!

Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:46pm »

This is stroy of  a guy in St. Kitts that lost a court battle and was forced to pay 5,000 ec dollars as a fine.
     It was a messy fight as he felt he was wrongly charged for loitering during an election campaign.    Youv'e gotta understand that politices in St. Kitts is vey decisive. Its all about personalities and loyalties.
     Well he lost the fight and decided to make the bastards pay even though he had to pay.
     He went to the bank with a wheel barrow and requested 5,000 dollars from his account in 1/2 c coins. E.C. coins are fashoined after the old english coins and are quite heavy. He dumped all the coins in the barrow and then took his time pushing it through town and gathered quite a following on the way to the magistrates office. On arrival and after many, many free beers on the way he was barred from entering the court house and told that he couldn't pay the fine that way. He politely advised the magistrate that this was legal tender and he would appeciate it if they counted the money to verify the amount. Since they couldn't get the barrow up the stairs and he wasn't allowed inside a group of civil servants were forced to come outside to count the money in the hot sun and carry it inside bag by bag.
     This took well over three hours becasue the crowd did everything possible to make them recount numerous times. It probably cost more than the fine was worth as nearly all work had stopped at the magistrates office.
A small victory!
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:53pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 6:41pm, Lizzie2 wrote:
A word of advice to any dads out there:  yelling at your child about her poor management of money will not help matters until your child realizes how badly she messed it up on her own and vows to fix it!  So you can say something...but try not to yell or be mean. Smiley
Lizzie Smiley

Dumbass.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:58pm »

My own personal account dropped down to $13.  

Guess I gotta learn this stuff sometime!!!!   Roll Eyes

24 yrs old and $13.00 bucks.  

Let me think back now...    1979... 1989... 1999.  Yup, there it is, 1999,  thirteen buck myself finally.  And I was LESS than 24 years older than you.

Tongue    Wink   Kiss

Kevin M
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:43pm »

Change can add up...once cashed in the change jars I kept for the kids so they'd have spending money at Disneyland. They had about $70.00 each...after only a few months of saving. Keep at it and sometimes even throw a dollar or two in there...see ya in Dallas!! Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jonny

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:11pm »

I'm trying to be a better financial planner because all of the sudden a few weeks ago, I realized that due to circumstances out of my control, I only had around $300 left in my bank account, and I owed around $700 for rent...not to mention other bills, medications and such!  My own personal account dropped down to $13.  So yeah...my dad was pretty pissed off at me, to say the very least!

Double dumbass!! Grin
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:31pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 8:11pm, Jonny wrote:

Double dumbass!! Grin

Hehe that's what happens when the pharmacy makes a mistake and charges you over $400 for one month's supply of Amerge (18 tabs) which I still can't get the money back from the insurance company oh and also I step on my glasses, break them, and have to buy new ones.  hehehehe  Sometimes I wish money DID grow on trees! Smiley
IP Logged

Jonny

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:37pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 8:31pm, Lizzie2 wrote:
oh and also I step on my glasses, break them, and have to buy new ones.  hehehehe

Triple dumbass....LOL Grin

Dont worry kid....it gets easier as it goes on  Wink
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:41pm »

LOL are you sure???  Don't be making me get all hopeful and then get disappointed later!! Wink  Once I pay back my over $150,000 debt from my college educations, I might be on my own two feet! Wink

Ehhhh no reason to worry about that which we have no control over! Smiley
IP Logged

Jonny

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:43pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 8:41pm, Lizzie2 wrote:
LOL are you sure???  Don't be making me get all hopeful and then get disappointed later!! Wink  Once I pay back my over $150,000 debt from my college educations, I might be on my own two feet! Wink

WORK!!....Grin
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:45pm »

LOL I do!!  Every other weekend I work on maternity as a nurse extern.  Finally got paid yesterday so I could pay off a small part of my credit card bill!!!  Unfortunately, I was scheduled to work New Years weekend from 3-11:30, which would have been shift differential and holiday pay, but I'm going to be in the hospital so I'm missing out there!!!  I'll have to try to sign up for some extra shift work once I get out of the hospital if I can!  Smiley
IP Logged

Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:46pm »

Jonny,

You be nice to my Lil" Sis...she is busy studying and working hard...Grin

....which is a lot more than what I was doing at her age (drinking and partying)....

...keep at it honey and the pennies you roll will be for fun trips and such and not because your worthless (ex)husband spent all the money on booze and you need diapers for the kids...

..sure am glad those days are over!!

DD
IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 11:30pm »

Just for you Jonny...

Today I was scheduled to work in post-partum maternity/well baby from 7-3-ish.  Someone called out at the last minute for the 3-11:30 shift for my same job.  So I called David since I was supposed to be meeting his parents for the first time tonight and I felt bad about cancelling, so I had to make sure it was okay with him first.  He was cool about it cuz he knows I need the money.

So then, I was pulled to the transitional/NICU nursery from 3-just got home.  I've gotta be back to do 7-3:30 on maternity again tomorrow!

I'm trying hard, but right now...I'm beat!  16.5 hour days may be a bit much hehehehe.

The Kid who currently feels like age 90. Smiley
IP Logged

Jonny

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 11:55pm »

Cry ....Ya make me proud kid Grin
IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 8:54am »

Funny how everyone says "hard Work" will = money.

I do 40 hours a week, but at a rate of only 7.oo anhour.
No one will pay more than that for a Preschool teacher.
(Even though we are personal nurses, housekeepersm teachers, substitute parents, and more.)

I don't mind it,
except when I hear that the Us Steel Truck Drivers
get paid about $32.00 and hour, even when they are just resting in their trucks, because they got to a drop off too early and have to wait with the load.

Now I know I made a wrong move somewhere...
when someone sitting still can make quadruple what I make, and I don't get to sit from 8 - 5... I don't get to think, just prevent falls, accidental chokings, and intentional bitings... it's enough to give me a headache.... oh yeah, already got a dozen of those scheduled....  hahahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahah aahahah aaaaah
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 9:04am »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 8:54am, Tetris-addict wrote:

....  hahahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha haahahah aaaaah

Is the laugh to distract you from becomming crazy or is it because you already have?  Wink

"Hey Mom, I puked on Suzy today! It was so cool when the teacher got sick cleaning it up."  

Maybe you can join the Teamsters Union.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 12:06pm »

SIS, so proud of you...I am still paying off nursing loans and probably will until i retire LOL....keep up the good work! Just be more careful with your back than I was...Listen to those instructions about good body mechanics and not working 16 hour shifts LOL...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 3:47pm »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 8:54am, Tetris-addict wrote:
Funny how everyone says "hard Work" will = money.

I do 40 hours a week, but at a rate of only 7.oo anhour.
No one will pay more than that for a Preschool teacher.
(Even though we are personal nurses, housekeepersm teachers, substitute parents, and more.)

I don't mind it,
except when I hear that the Us Steel Truck Drivers
get paid about $32.00 and hour, even when they are just resting in their trucks, because they got to a drop off too early and have to wait with the load.

Now I know I made a wrong move somewhere...
when someone sitting still can make quadruple what I make, and I don't get to sit from 8 - 5... I don't get to think, just prevent falls, accidental chokings, and intentional bitings... it's enough to give me a headache.... oh yeah, already got a dozen of those scheduled....  hahahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha haahahah aaaaah

Bob's right when he says join the teamsters!!  hahaha  My mom is an elementary school secretary...been working full time for years, however she is considered to be a part of the "support staff" - when the Teamsters for support staff went on strike, it actually didn't really benefit my mom and would have kind of hurt her job in a couple of ways, but she feels she should be in support of the others in the union.  During the strike, the school district suspended health insurance for all those who weren't working.  Guess who was covered under Mommy's insurance then???????  That's right...the kid with $700/month prescription bills and $50,000 hospital stay bills!  bwahaha

They warned us when they were going to cut off insurance, and I refilled everything I was able to refill at the time.  I then paid for a few meds during the time I was not insured because of the strike, but because I had planned ahead, we did okay.  I think it is actually illegal to do what our school district did, but they did it anyways!

My first degree is in piano performance...I am qualified to have a piano studio and perform, etc.  One year I took two courses in piano pedagogy.  My teacher told us that the most we would ever make if we owned our own studio was $16,000 a year....and of course we have to purchase our own health insurance.  MTNA (Music Teacher's National Association) does offer insurance to an extent, but it's not that easy....

So why did I go into nursing?  Not for the money, but I'll tell ya right now that I'm still not certified as a nurse, but when I finish all my degrees...I dang well better be making more than I would have as a pianist!!!  Smiley

We do what we can...frustrating when we aren't paid for "what we are worth."  I switched locations from one extern floor to another because I didn't feel I was being paid well enough to be cleaning up explosive diarrhea from one end of the room to another...being in charge of 11 patients at once, 4 of which required complete care including care of pressure ulcers, suctioning tracheotomies, bed baths, etc.  No way no how.

I think my pay (which is the same since I transferred) is now much more  compatible with the work I do!  Part of it is that I like it a lot better than where I worked before, so I it's not like I feel like I'm committing myself to hell by going to work! Smiley

Hugz,
Carrie/Lizzie2 Smiley
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 3:49pm »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 12:06pm, nancyc wrote:
SIS, so proud of you...I am still paying off nursing loans and probably will until i retire LOL....keep up the good work! Just be more careful with your back than I was...Listen to those instructions about good body mechanics and not working 16 hour shifts LOL...smiles,nancyc

LMAO yeah my back kinda hurts today, but it is just from being on my feet so much.  I really don't have to worry about body mechanics as much with my job since most of my patients weigh anywhere from 5-10 pounds! hhehehe  The mothers are a different story, but I usually only have to support them the first time they get up and they are pretty independent! Smiley  I always raise my beds up to above waist high to make them!  That's some good advice right there! Wink

By the time I finish paying off loans....yeah, I might be dead and my kids will be paying them off!  teeheehee

But worth it?  DEFINATELY!!!  I'm sure you feel the same way!

Keep hanging in there.  Been thinking about you and hoping that you feel better soon!

Hugz,
Lizzie2/Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 5:19pm »

One good thing to think about, sis...when you graduate, NO MORE BEDS TO BE MADE BY YOU! LMAO...nurses dont have time to make beds... Grin...I have discovered that when i bend down, i have not been bending my knees like I should...not good with bulging discs...but i feel being on your feet all the time and bad body mechanics are the reason i am in this shape now...so much for working overtime to pay off these hospital bills i have run up LMAO....take care , sis...my prayers are with anyone in nursing school...i was never so glad to finish something in all my life..the stress was alittle too much  Smiley...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 5:34pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 6:11pm, Jonny wrote:

They key to saving change.........never give the cents on a purchase, if its $3.52...give four ones, this way you always get change Grin

Works for me  Wink

Same here!  

Another trick I used is...

Start each week with however much $ you estimate you will need.  
Only pay for things with bills larger than a 10 spot.
At the end of the week anything 10 and smaller put into an envelope and forget about it.

Saved over 10k in a yr and bought my wife's engagement ring that way.

Never dip into the jars or envelopes & you'll be surprised how much you have when you finally peek
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss