Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 8:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « best treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   best treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: best treatment  (Read 256 times)
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

i can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

best treatment
« on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

to all of you, you have been enormously helpful and supportive of a person desperately trying to figure out this new diagnosis as quickly and thoroughly as possible. with wit and wisdom and a greatly appreciated brand of sarcasm and quips, i have learned much. thank you thank you thank you!!!

so, planning on seeing my neuro here, and i have no idea what he knows about clusterheads, and i know very little about my own illness--what i respond best to, etc. as i have not been properly treated since my diagnosis.

however, from what i gather from all of you is that the most common and most helpful scripts are O2 and imitrex injections as abortives. i am not pleased with any of the options for preventatives, so i think i'll avoid those for now until i believe that there might be a need for them. i think i'm a classic episodice, but there's really no telling as this episode has not yet ended (about 4 weeks), and this is the longest an episode has ever lasted for me.

so, guess i'll request O2 and imitrex injections from the neuro. unless there's something else you all think that i should do instead?  

again, much thanks to you all. i hope to be as supportive and helpful to you all and others as you have been to me.
IP Logged

Teaudire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: best treatment
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:29pm »

How about verapamil? It's pretty safe unless you have LOW blood pressure normally. Just a thought.  Smiley Good luck!! Pain free wishes to you.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:29pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 7:19pm, Bandette74 wrote:
i am not pleased with any of the options for preventatives, so i think i'll avoid those for now until i believe that there might be a need for them.  
unless there's something else you all think that i should do instead?

Abortives are a must but getting started to find a suitable and effective preventative for yourself is also a good idea.  Abortives only, is not the best way to go, though essential by themselves.  I've had luck with a raising of the verapamil level as a preventative and am currently getting more sleep, for now, than in the past, which becomes important for long episodes.  
  Just a thought, since you asked.

*minimal side effects for me, so far with the verap.

Kevin M
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:30pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:33pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 7:29pm, nani wrote:
How about verapamil? It's pretty safe unless you have LOW blood pressure normally. Just a thought.  Smiley Good luck!! Pain free wishes to you.

verapamil--that's a preventative? that might be a great option for me--i'll add it to the list. thanks again!

pain free wishes to you, too  Wink
IP Logged

Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:33pm »

on Dec 17th, 2004, 7:29pm, Kevin_M wrote:

Abortives are a must but getting started to find a suitable and effective preventative for yourself is also a good idea.  Abortives only, is not the best way to go, though essential by themselves.  I've had luck with a raising of the verapamil level as a preventative and am currently getting more sleep, for now, than in the past, which becomes important for long episodes.  
  Just a thought, since you asked.

*minimal side effects for me, so far with the verap.

Kevin M

Wink excellent! much thanks!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss