Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Blue Christmas... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Blue Christmas...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Blue Christmas...  (Read 393 times)
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

Blue Christmas...
« on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Blue Christmas
By Dan Atkinson/ Staff Writer
Friday, December 17, 2004

Iraq does not get much snow in December. Wreaths are scarce, as are Christmas trees. And though Watertown will have all of these holiday staples, Michael Munger and Ann Marie Theriault will experience a Christmas similar to the one their sons Scott, a helicopter pilot serving in Iraq, and Sean, a sergeant in the Marines possibly returning to Iraq in March, will celebrate: A Christmas with something missing.  

"I'm having a tough time this year," Theriault said. "We recently decorated the tree, and we have ornaments the boys made. It was hard seeing those ornaments."  

His parents expect Scott, 28, to stay in Iraq past the end of his tour of duty, possibly until June, Theriault said. Sean, 23, who returned to the United States in October 2003, is training in North Carolina for another tour of duty, and will not be back in Watertown for Christmas.  

"He usually doesn't come home for the holidays," Theriault said. "He leaves the vacation slot open for one of the guys who is married."  

Scott is married, but his wife, Shino, and his sons, Matthew and Michael, are also not in the United States. Scott had to ship out to Iraq just before Michael was born, Theriault said, so Shino and the boys have been living in Japan with her parents.  

For Mike Munger, this is the flip side of the Christmas 2001, which he spent serving in Kosovo, thousands of miles away from his family. Munger walked a mile and a half in the snow to the Army's satellite phone to talk with his family on Christmas Day, only to find out the satellite was down, and no communication would be possible.  

"It was a real lonely walk back," Munger said.  

But Munger and Theriault, who divorced in 1988 but remain close, know from his experience how to make the best of overseas situations. They mailed Christmas care packages weeks ago to counter the slow mail service. Theriault said sent Scott three boxes of Blow-Pops, because, "'If you play your cards right, they can last a week,' Scott said." Scott mainly shares the candy with Iraqi children, though, according to Theriault.  

The most important things to send over, Munger said, are pictures that show how much the family misses Scott. While soldiers obviously celebrate among themselves, sometimes exchanging gifts, they know what they are missing at home and fear their absence is unnoticed.  

"After a while, you think no one really cares," Munger said. "But when you get a photo where people have their arms around a cardboard cutout with a sign that says 'This is you,' you know you're really remembered."  

Communications home have improved since Michael Munger's unsuccessful trek in 2001. Theriault said she can occasionally talk with Scott on MSN's instant messenger program, and that the family has a webcam so he can see their faces. But lately, it has been tough to reach him.  

Scott was not able to talk with his family on Thanksgiving - he was part of the forces attacking Fallujah. Munger said he hadn't heard from Scott in four weeks. Although flying a scout helicopter keeps Scott out of ground conflicts, the small number of helicopters in his area means news of a crash is immediately frightening for his family.  

IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

Re: Blue Christmas...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:55pm »

Two helicopters were recently shot down over Baghdad, and while the fact that helicopters had been shot down was known immediately, Munger and Theriault had to wait a week before they knew Scott was safe.  

"It was a long week," Munger said. "Before they released the names, it was a 1 in 30, 2 in 30, chance that it was Scott."  

Unsurprisingly, Munger and Theriault have become news junkies. Theriault said Fox News is the first thing she watches in the morning and the last thing she watches at night.  

Theriault has also become involved with other mothers of soldiers, both locally and nationally, through Internet groups. She and the other mothers work to raise awareness of their children's sacrifices, a task Theriault said is slowly showing results.  

"I wish more people would acknowledge the war," she said. "We're starting to see more yellow ribbon stickers on cars - it's like people are suddenly deciding that this isn't going to be a quick war."  

Theriault said the rest of the family would get together to celebrate Christmas, but it wouldn't be a party.  

"I think it's going to be a lot less than we normally do," she said. "I don't even feel like decorating."  

Michael Munger said having his son in Iraq gave new meaning to the seasonal wish for "peace on earth."  

"It's a more powerful impact, to actually have a son over in the holy lands trying to help the peace process," he said.  

And after talking briefly with Scott online Monday, Theriault said she is feeling better.  

"He's very professional, all business," she said. "He gets mad when I worry and it recharges me."  

The conversation was brief, however. Theriault said Scott's unit has been very busy, with him flying more than he had anticipated.  

"It's like Mike says: 'It's like winning the lottery every day you don't have a car pull up in front of your house,'" Theriault said.  

So for Munger and Theriault, the best gift they can get this Christmas will be something that never arrives.  

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:56pm by Ree » IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cry We love you Ree, never forget that,. If there's anything I can do let me know, you know I'm there for you guys.

Love to you and the ones you love,

Sean........................
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:08pm »

Be strong Ree.
I know it must be difficult, be we're here for you.
-p
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:09pm »

Aww Ree  Cry

Carol
IP Logged
john_d

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:28pm »

Wow Ree, that story is a heart-breaker.  Cry

Makes me want to go tie a yellow ribbon out front.  I am putting out some lights this weekend and I think I may just add that.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:41pm »

Cry    Cry     hug   hug
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:42pm »

Awwwww Ree Cry

(((((((((Ree))))))))))))

Thinking of you and your family, biggest hugs

Andrea
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 9:37pm »

Thoughts and prayers are with you and the boys. Hang in there - they'll be home soon and you can celebrate Christmas when they get here. The day doesn't matter - it's the spirit that counts.

Hugs to you all

BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 9:54pm »

Ree  hug You know my best wishes are with you and your boys.  

IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:41am »

I feel the same as Gator.  

All my hopes that yours and all the others will come back and enjoy what they are fighting for.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 4:26pm »

You and yours are always in my prayers...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 9:07pm »

Ree, your daily struggle with life (beings that the kids chose the path they did) always tugs at my heart.  Know that there are many of us holding all service men and women in our hearts all the time.

love,
mel
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 9:20pm »

Thanks you guys Mel you hit it on the head... the path they chose... well I would prefer that they were garbage men... I would be just as proud...  My son Scott recently wrote to me to say that he was tired of everyone writing about how proud they are of him.  He said I've been in the military for 11 years and it took 911 and Sadam Husein to make them notice the work that I do... He would rather people just write to him and tell them about themselves, and whats going on at home... He is so humble.  He is doing his job...  
  Sean is really human and you guys would love him he is as funny as Seinfeld... and his spirit shows by his number of friends that love his company... He is totally cool...
   Today I hung with Breezy... she is keepin me busy and just keepin my mind off stuff that I shouldnt be thinkin... Dave just walked in the door... remember him too when you get those cards and packages... He and Pigeon Joe are postal workers... I love you all and appreciate the support always... Ree
IP Logged

BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 9:44pm »

Merry Christmas Ree..... I'll be thinking of you and your brave family this year.
IP Logged
WhoIsTedNow

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 12:22am »

Sweet and unsweet. Sweet it was published and let's us in on what this means to you and Mike but unsweet because it's so sad. I'm sorry you have to go through this AGAIN. When Scott returns home safely you'll still have given a lot as a mother sending both your boys off to war and worrying until they came back alive and safe. And Scott will as Sean did. I swore to you Sean would and he did and I put my soul on the line with the same promise for Scott. Next year you'll be decorating your Christmas tree with silent tears of relief and both your boys will be be silently making new ornaments for you. But they'll both be there next year. And with you.
IP Logged
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 6:34am »

((((((((((Ree))))))))))))))  hugs to ya, Ree !
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss