Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Neck Surgery »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Neck Surgery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Neck Surgery  (Read 443 times)
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

Neck Surgery
« on: Dec 21st, 2004, 10:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm finally going in for the "Anterior Cervical Discectomy", the end of this month. Their doing C-5 - C-6 & C-6 & C-7 and putting in hardware.

Is their anyone out there that has had this type of surgery that can give me some feedback as to what I can expect?

Thanks,

Jimmy
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

Jeepgun

Email

Re: Neck Surgery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 10:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

That sounds like a real pain in the neck, Bionic Jimmy! I hope the surgery goes well and that your recovery is swift and perfect. My best to you, my friend.

-Frank
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:32am »

OMG!!!!  I feel your pain.  I have BIG trouble with exactly the same area, only a little more.  I have 5 crushed disks, bone spurs from the grinding.  I have C2-3, C3-4, C4-5 TOO!

Is that disk removal & fusion you're having done?  I talked to a couple of neuro-surgeons and until there's a bioic neck replacement surgery I'm SOL.  I'm visiting another one this week to discuss any new advances - Heard there are new synthetic discs approved.  My brother had removal of 2 discs on his lower back.  Within a year his legs went numb and then he couldn't piss.  Emergency fusion shortly afterwards.  Then, after rehab etc... he was great!  He felt so good he forgot about his condition and decided to flip hit mattress on his own.  Mess his fusion up and there's nothing left that can be done.  He has periods of numbness in his legs, can't lift a gallon of milk...can't do much of anything.  He's getting by though.  My recommendation is take it easy after sugery.

Right now I can barely get my fucking head off my pillow for Christs sake.  I'm gonna need to do something soon myself.

Good luck dude.
IP Logged
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:37am »

Thanks Frank!!!

Marlin, They're doing both discs with a fusion (bone from the hip) and a plate & screws to stabilize.

Jimmy
IP Logged

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:46am »

My mom had that surgery, Jimmy. She said that the surgery to her hip was more painful than the one on her neck. In any case, I wish you the very best, and once again, a swift and pain-free recovery.
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:12pm »

Best of luck to ya.  My brother also said his hip hurt more after the surgery but just for a short while.  You're a CH so you can take the pain.  Keep a positive attitude and ask them if they can put a couple of U-Joints in while they're at it.  That way you can still turn around and look behind you as you back up your car (something I can't do) and when an attractive woman passes by you can watch her even if she does 360s around you  Wink
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:28pm »

Don't know anything about it, but I feel for you and I hope you recover real fast! Best of Luck! hug
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:34pm »

Jimmy, I am not really sure about the surgery you are gonna have...But, I think I may be on the table soon myself..I went back to work with sciatica and I am about to die again...this shit is unreal. I have lots of cervical problems and some lumbar ones...I know one thing...IF surgery would stop this pain...I WOULD DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT...I am praying for you, bro as I know how painful spinal pain can be....God bless you and keep me posted on how you do please. smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 4:31pm »

It has been a few years since I had my Lt-S1 disectomy done by emergecy surgery.  I am not in extreame pain and I can lay and sit and stand now but I ache there beyond belief and have some minor pain.They say I need to do exercises and it is from being inactive for so long.  So I have been doing lots of walking but my lower right side then hurts extremely.  Can't win.  However, I don't regret the surgery.  I think you will be glad you had it done to.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
athos
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Reality is for those who lack imagination!

athos_3d   Athos3d
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 5:34pm »

Jimmy,

OOOOOOOUCH!!!!   I have had this surgery twice....

First c5-c7 with donor bone and then c4-c5 with donor bone as well....

I had excellent result with the donor bone...   i would not go the route of the hip...  There is enough to deal with withour that...

It used to be that there was a significantly higher % take from the hip, but now there is hardly a difference.

After the donor bone goes through the stringent sterilization process it is basically a calcium paste.

the first surgery was not that bad...  The second was, and still is very hard on me.

Good luck...  any quest you can call me too if you like or pm me...  email me and I will give you any contact info.

Ken
IP Logged

http://www.XdUP.com
Find Your Value For X
Jonny

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 7:16pm »

Good luck Jimmy

L1 thru L5 here.....Like Nancy, its just a matter of time for me.

I hope this shit works out for you, Bro!

........................................jonny
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:15am »

Here's a good site for basic info:

http://www.spineuniversity.com/public/spinesub.asp?id=55

and for the surgery itself:

http://www.spineuniversity.com/public/spinesub.asp?id=60

If you want to watch an actual procedure , go here:

http://www.or-live.com/

I had C4-5-6 done this summer, urgently because of cord damage.

The surgery itself takes a couple of hours.  Leave your jewelry and wallet with whoever takes you to the hospital.  Don't eat or drink after midnight  and stop taking aspirin a week before.  If you're on meds make sure you have a list with you.  I insisted with both the anesthesiologist and the surgeon that Imitrex had to be available in recovery--but I didn't need it.  I took my own meds to the hospital even though you're not supposed to and took my own melatonin.

Afterwards, the pain that I was having from the compressed nerves was completely gone (but it could be even worse due to swelling.)

The hip is what hurts the most postop;  there were a couple of times when I was unable to get out of bed for ten or fifteen minutes because I couldn't roll over.  I had requested cadaver bone but the surgeon strongly felt that since I smoke an autograft would be better.  

Throat was a little sore for one day a couple of days after the surgery but I believe that was because I smoked too much.  (You should try to smoke as little as possible for healing.)  Otherwise it didn't bother me at all and I was able to eat normally.  I had stocked up on pudding, ice cream and applesauce but didn't need it.

The hardware should be titanium or a non-ferrous alloy that won't cause any problems at airport security.  Ask your surgeon if he recommends antibiotics before you have dental work in the future.  If he tells you the manufacturer and model of your hardware you can probably look it up on the internet.  (Screws alone cost over $300 each.)

I had been in remission with CH for several months prior to the surgery but for several weeks afterwards I got hit bad.  Obviously not everyone has this happen because no one else has mentioned it.  

You won't be able to bend your neck as much as you could before because two joints are missing--I can't touch my chin to my chest.
I had bad muscular pain and occasional spasms in the neck and shoulder that have slowly decreased in frequency and intensity.  Before the surgery, I bought new pillows with a layer of artificial down surrounding a temperature-sensitive foam for good neck support and I was very glad I had them afterwards.  

The scar is almost unnoticeable but it's hard to shave and I still tweeze the hairs in the incision line instead of trying to shave them.  It's also numb.  You should keep it out of the sun for a year.

I stayed home from work for a week but if you can take two do it.

Follow your surgeon's instructions about your collar and lifting objects.  He should order x-rays 4 to 6 weeks postop to confirm that bony fusion is progressing.  Some surgeons require that you wear the collar until then.

The surgeon's fee was over $30,000 so I hope you have insurance!

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:21am by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:35am »

Thanks everyone for the great info & vibes. It means a lot.

Jimmy
IP Logged

Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:39am »

My best to you, Jimmy. May the surgery be a resounding success, and may you awaken with minimal pain, and experience a swift and perfect recovery.

-Frank
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:27am »

Good luck jimmy.
Nice post thb. Sounds like you're glad you did it -- encouraging.  I wish I was a candidate - there are simply too damned many of them.

What the Doc told my brother is the disks on either side of the fusion are vulnerable afterwards.  They take all the strain that should be shared with the removed disks.  Moral: Don't overdo it.
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 2:28am »

Thanks for all the great info..I sure need to read up on all of this...My prayers are with you Jimmy, Jonny and Cootie and everyone suffering from back pain along with chs...this just plain sucks....love you guys, smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 5:55am »

Good luck Jimi -- I had L4 and L5 done years ago and for the most part (except when it rains) I do well from it.  

From what Jeep says, you're going to have more pain in the butt than in the neck....

Maybe this will clear up your CH and you'll only be a pain in the rear after that..... Cheesy

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 2:38pm »

I'm with Frank. Lots of vibes and a quick recovery.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss