Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Painkiller born (Not really for CH but...) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Painkiller born (Not really for CH but...)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Painkiller born (Not really for CH but...)  (Read 479 times)
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

New Painkiller born (Not really for CH but...)
« on: Jan 4th, 2005, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

...still exciting news in the help of Chronic & intractable pain.

University of Utah  
December-31-2004
Released to the Public Date: 12-29-2004
Reference: This news item was obtained with permission from EurekAlert!

Undergrad discovered natural form in venomous snails in 1979 The natural form of Prialt – a new drug for severe pain approved this week by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration – was discovered at the University of Utah in 1979 by an incoming freshman studying toxins produced by cone snails. The student, J. Michael McIntosh, worked in the laboratory of University of Utah biologist Baldomero "Toto" Olivera, the summer before his freshman year as the result of a scholarship interview.  
Now, 25 years later, Olivera is a distinguished professor of biology who still studies cone snails and how substances in their venom may be developed into drugs, and McIntosh is a professor of psychiatry and research professor of biology at the university.  

McIntosh says his experience as an 18-year-old working in Olivera's laboratory shows "the university provides a very unusual opportunity for undergraduate students to participate in cutting-edge research that can make a real difference."  

Olivera says McIntosh first isolated and characterized the painkiller in the venom of the fish-hunting cone snail Conus magus, or magician's cone, which is about 1.5 inches long and thus too small to kill people it stings, as do some larger cone snails.  

McIntosh discovered a component or "factor" in the venom affected the nervous system. He purified it and determined its chemical structure. Later, University of Utah biologist Doju Yoshikami determined the factor blocked the transmission of nerve signals through certain connections or synapses between nerve cells.  

Olivera and Yoshikami developed the factor – named omega-MVIIA, or omega conotoxin M seven A – for use in basic research in neuroscience. "It blocks communication between nerve cells," allowing researchers to learn what nerve circuits do normally by seeing what goes wrong when the connections are blocked, Olivera says.  

The university didn't patent omega-MVIIA because the substance "didn't have a definitive therapeutic use" at the time, he adds.  

"As with many basic science discoveries, the clinical importance of the discovery wasn't appreciated at the time," McIntosh says.  

Olivera and Yoshikami collaborated in basic research on omega-MVIIA with George Miljanich, who worked at the University of Southern California and later moved to Neurex Corp., where Miljanich explored the substance's therapeutic potential.  

Neurex ultimately was acquired by Elan Corp., based in Dublin, Ireland. On Dec. 28, Elan got FDA approval to sell Prialt for chronic, intractable pain suffered by people with cancer, AIDS, injury, failed back surgery or certain nervous system disorders.  

The drug is expected to be available in the United States in late January 2005. It is injected into fluid surrounding the spinal cord by external or implanted pumps.  

"The commercial product, Prialt, is chemically identical to omega-MVIIA, except that it is made synthetically instead of by snails," Olivera says.  

McIntosh now directs research in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center, and treats adolescents and adults who have depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder (manic-depression) and obsessive-compulsive disorder.  

IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: New Painkiller born (Not really for CH but...)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 10:49am »

I saw these snails on Animal Planet the other day.
Nasty little buggers.
Maybe they have a good side...
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 10:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

They aren't bad with a little soy sauce...  Lips Sealed laugh
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:26am »

I would like to put my name first on the list to try it for CH...implants anyone?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 12:23pm »

Yuck Frank, soy sauce is concetrated MSG.   Angry

For snails definitely garlic.   Smiley
IP Logged
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 12:37pm »

on Jan 4th, 2005, 12:23pm, Ueli wrote:
Yuck Frank, soy sauce is concetrated MSG.   Angry

For snails definitely garlic.   Smiley

Garlic sounds tasty too, with a little butter and some olive oil... (Hey! It's lunchtime!)  laugh
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 12:54pm »

Quote:
For snails definitely garlic.

You forgot melted butter. Drown the little snippers in garlic and melted butter.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 1:02pm »

on Jan 4th, 2005, 12:54pm, don wrote:

You forgot melted butter. Drown the little snippers in garlic and melted butter.

and a little white wine and a few select herbs.  A nice warm loaf of crusty bread to sop up all that garlicy buttery goodness from the plate after popping that baby out of it's shell...

MMMmmm MMMmmm GOOD!!!
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 4:49pm »

You're making me hungry...but I don't think you want to eat these guys... laugh Plus it loses it's efficacy when passing the G.I. track.

"Using the snail's natural conotoxin (MVIIA), a synthetic derivative called SNX-111 was produced. Studies showed SNX-111 to be 100-1000 times more powerful than morphine, without many of the associated side effects."  

It will be used much the same way Morphine is used intrathecally. A pump is implanted in the torso which pumps small amounts of the compound into the intrathecal space.

"Another component of the venom has also been identified as potentially useful. There are peptides called conatokins, which have been shown to act as N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonists. NMDA receptors have vital roles in diseases such as Parkinson's and epilepsy, hence the potential for pharmaceuticals."
Jimmy
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

Jonny

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 4:57pm »

on Jan 4th, 2005, 1:02pm, Redd715 wrote:
A nice warm loaf to sop up all that garlicy buttery goodness

Hey Jeep,

Someone is in need of a nice warm pinched loaf......LMMFAO Grin
IP Logged
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 10:05pm »

I'm workin' on it, Jonny. It'll be out to them in a couple o' days!  laugh
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 10:15pm »

on Jan 4th, 2005, 4:57pm, Jonny wrote:

Hey Jeep,

Someone is in need of a nice warm pinched loaf......LMMFAO Grin

Would you quit loafing around Jonny or  

no cheese for you....

Redd the cheese nazi!
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss