Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 11:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Before BIG BROTHER »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Before BIG BROTHER
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Before BIG BROTHER  (Read 572 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Before BIG BROTHER
« on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Back in the old days (Ok, Bob G and Charlie probably remember back that far....) PARENTS raised kids without help from the damn government. And yes, applied corporal punishment without getting sued.

We smoked in public places (restaurants, airplanes, almost everywhere) and no one said a damn thing about it. Seems to me that people lived about as long with a lot less illnesses and a lot less trips to the doctors.

Cars came without seatbelts and airbags and NO infant seats (that even the police don't know how to install). If our kid got choaked on something in the car, we just reached out and grabbed him and did what needed to be done - we didn't cause a major traffic accident trying to get unbelted and across the seat to get to him.  

Kids seemed to have more manners before we started putting them in daycare and pre-schools. Our parents didn't know about "time out" -- they knew about hairbrushes and little black belts and switches and flyswatters (those things got your attention!).  

We didn't even know what "gun safes" were. The guns were put under the beds or in a dresser drawer. Kids were "taught" not to play with them. We knew not to take them to school - they, or else! We didn't have to be told!  

Holidays were great - we all believed in God and said so. We didn't worry about being politically correct - didn't know anything about that stuff. We just said what we thought and told the truth and that seemed to be enough.  

We didn't need metal detectors or guards in the halls at school. One teacher was enough to control a classroom. We had RESPECT for the teachers or our parents would know it before we got home and that we could do without. Teachers didn't have ALL the answers. They TAUGHT us to THINK and have opinions. We didn't have to pass a test to graduate - we just had to pass our classes (and that wasn't easy cause they didn't pass you unless you worked for the grade!).  

Then somewhere things changed and the government decided to run our lives and tell us what was best for all of us and how to run our lives, how to raise our children, how fast to go on the highways, how much money to make, etc. What the hell happened?

I've thought about this and the only solution I see is to kick every politician in Washington out on their collective asses and elect a whole new slate, get term limits in (one term is enough for anyone), set spending limits on campaigns and get some common sense back in our lives.  

If the people of this country don't do something, we might as well have a chip installed so Big Brother can just program us to be robots. Looks to me like that's where we're heading --Has anyone checked the latest "amendments" to the Patriot Act?

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Before BIG BROTHER
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:45pm »

Thanks Barbara.  Valid points made.

echo - who still runs with sissors
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:59pm »

To arms!

Nothing we do will fix it.  Special interests have trashed the place.

/planning to retire to some small country
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:59pm »

on Dec 14th, 2005, 2:25pm, BarbaraD wrote:
kick every politician in Washington out on their collective asses and elect a whole new slate,  

Come on now. You know that's not politically correct.  
 Grin

I remember getting the switch from a neighbor because I was acting like a maniac. When I got home, I got it again because she called my mom and told her what I did.

There was no law suit or drive by shooting over it. Only another switching to my a$$.

I'd take the old days back any time.
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 3:08pm »

Scary as hell. People are speculating that the provision that lets spooks keep track of library books-- that got so much coverage--is nothing compared to the rest of it.  

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 4:03pm »

Quote:
Back in the old days (Ok, Bob G and Charlie probably remember back that far....)

You calling us (me) old?  
Back in the old days you could make a statement like that without worry.
I'm calling the ACLU and sueing your pants off lady!
Any body want to see Barbara with her pants off?
Nah, just kidding. The ACLU sucks.
I do remember when if you acted up in school and were sent to the pricipal's office it was bad enough but you also knew they'd called your parents and you were going to catch hell again when you got home.

P.S.
This year I'm going to send the ACLU a christian Christmas card. That's really going to piss them off!  laugh
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 4:34pm »

Lordy, the ACLU is so busy protecting everyone's rights that nobody has any "rights" left anymore.  

Take that guy on death row (Cookie or whatever his name was) for 20+ years. He wanted to be comuted cause he'd been reformed. Tell me - what else did he have to do for 20+ years on death row, but reform? But the people he was "convicted" of killing are still dead while he was reforming! Where the hell were their rights?  

I'm not really a death penalty proponent, but in Texas we kept a guy on death row for 25 years, 9 stays, two trials (he confessed both times) and finally executed him. Reason - he was Canadian (no offense to any Canadians here). He committed murder in Gladewater Texas for no good reason and he killed a woman I've known all my life. I wanted the bastard HUNG, DRAWN, and QUARTERED! But it took 25 years for his "rights" to finish being appealed!  

Guess I'm just disgusted with MY rights being taken from me one by one. I should be able to decide if I WANT to wear a seat belt - not have it DECIDED for me. I don't need big brother telling me what to read - or keeping up with WHAT I read - (of course Nora Roberts may be a little steamy for their taste). I don't need them telling me what I SHOULD eat or what designer disease I should have this year.  

I think this cold is affecting my brain -- and BTW Bob - you don't want to see Barbara with her pants off -- not a pretty site at all..... trust me... She's OLD - everything sags.... Wink Maybe the gov. can come up with a plan for that one.... Huh

Hugs BD
IP Logged

ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 4:37pm »

Anti
Christian
Liberties
Union

Does that explain it good enough???
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 6:05pm »

The ACLU is misused is all.  

It's its own worst enemy for letting others tell it what to pursue. It began with Peoria.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 7:49pm »

Spoken in what-was-once the predominant American way of thinking.  Well said.    

Every  so-called "progressive law" that special interests  bribe politicians into implementing leads to hundred and possibly thousands of new government employees to implement, monitor, measure and enforce.  

It's always somenone else's fault and there are bloodsucking attorney's willing to prove it in court.  Look, if you take an electric hair drier into the bathtub with you and get electrocuted - it's the process of natural selection in action.  It's not the manufacturers fault and not the court's responsibility to force new consumer protection laws onto the books.        

Rights are not exclusive to specific interests.  To retain true freedom, respecting the rights of others (within the law, common sense and reason) is crucial.  You can't eliminate other's rights, force everyone to fall in line with what you find acceptable and yet insist it's still a free society.  Because we've lost our ability and willingness to permit freedom we have passed too much power to the courts and government to get our way.

The cost of a government that manages every conceiveable aspect of our lives is astronomical.  Yet lazy/self absorbed Americans keep insisting on more government intervention to avoid resposibility for their own decisions and lives.  Power hungry politicians at all levels of government are in a feeding frenzy.  

I cringe when I hear our form of government referred to as a Democracy.  Politicians are terribly guilty of falsly referring to our government as a Democracy.  I want to yell - IT IS NOT A DEMOCRACY, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.  

Our Founding Fathers despised and feared the prospect of establishing a Democracy.  To them democracy was a form of "Mob Rule" where individual rights and freedoms didn't exist.  They believed history had proven  Democracy results in chaos and ultimately a total breakdown in freedoms and government.  

Our Founding Fathers established a Representative Republic guided by a Constitution/Bill of Rights that guarantees "Individual" rights/freedoms, limits the power/income sources of government and creates clear seperation in the powers granted each branch of government.  Why? Because they had just fought to break away from a Democratic form of government with broad centralized powers in which individual rights and freedoms were limited.  

So what do we have now?

Federal, State, County, Local, Property, School, Phone, Gas, Electric, Sales, Federal Excise, Gasoline, Inheritance, etc. etc., etc., taxes.  (On average 60% of every American's Gross Annual Income now pays some form of tax).  And let's not forget that the government agencies bleeding us dry are somehow managing to rack up massive debt for which payment due means even more and higher taxation.    

A powerful centralized governement that controls virtually every aspect of our lives and now via the Patriot Act can pry into the private lives and maintain records on any American Citizen without cause.    

A Supreme Court that makes new law by interpreting the words "Freedom of Religion" as "Protection from Religion" and ignoring the Constitution by ruling that Individuals do not have the right to own property.

Legislators freely accepting legal bribes from special interests to fund their war chests while sucking up tax funded salaries, vacations, vehicles, homes, and a variety of perks they insist they are entitled to.    

Massive numbers of jobs outsourced overseas while government tax subsidies flow to multi-national corporations for outsourcing these jobs even though  most of these corporations are no longer incorporated or paying taxes in the U.S.      

So how did we morph. into a democracy?

I am certain that these forward thinking founders of a once free country are rolling over in their graves.

Tom    

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2005, 7:57pm by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 12:28am »

We live in a world that has permitted sum peoples rights to be sumeone elses wrongs. But the wrongs have it Pam  

They now have a law they are workin on in sum town that makes cussng illegal.......it was on the news last week. No smokeing or drinking or cussing and no nudity......why go out ???
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 5:17pm »

Your right. If we were a democracy, Al Gore would have been the President.

Charlie
IP Logged

Sean_C

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 9:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If we didn't have WWII we wouldn't of had so many baby boomers and things might have been a little different.  

I'll blame the rythm method and leave it at that Undecided

Sean............................................
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 10:19am »

on Dec 15th, 2005, 5:17pm, Charlie wrote:
Your right. If we were a democracy, Al Gore would have been the President.

Charlie

It's a very good example Charlie.  Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on which side of the issue you are) the system worked as the framers of the Constitution intended.  

The process of electing presidents by direct popular vote was rejected not because the Framers of the Constitution doubted public intelligence but rather because they feared that at best, the choice of president would always be decided by the largest, most populous States with little regard for smaller States.

Goes right back to guaranteeing individual rights and freedoms.  The Framers of the Constitution ensured that citizens of every State had a valid reason to participate, and equal opportunity to contribute to the election of Presidents.  

It was't a visionary decision, it was a decision based on their disdain of Democracy or "Mob Rule" controlling the election processes.  If fact, I believe the word Democracy is not referenced once in the Constitution.    

Tom      
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2005, 10:21am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 6:49pm »

I am not PC at all but I don't like the idea of anyone touching my children. When I was young in the 60's a neighbor slapped me and my mother went ballistic. That scared me more than the slap. She used to hand out coporal punishment (and it did me good) but drew the line at someone us doing that to her kids. And I am the same way. Just report to me what my kids did and after discerning the problem, I would administer the proper punishment needed if needed. When other folks spank or adminster physical discipline to your child, they do not do it out of love believe me. Hands off....
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 12:00pm »

Rick, I agree with you on the "corporal" punishment being administered at home by parents. Sometimes "grown-ups" don't tell the "truth" and kids get punished for something they didn't do. I always "ask" the kid before administering the flyswatter. If the stories differ - I get both parties together and get the "whole story". One will break - every time. It always worked for my parents and it's worked almost 40 years with my kid.  

One thing I did do when the kids were little -- all the kids played in my yard (everyone else in the neighborhood had Home Beautiful yards) - I had a "large" nail in a tree and when the kids got out of line I "threatened to "hang" them on that nail (it was a "large" nail). I think they were all grown before they realized that they wouldn't exactly "hang" on that nail, but it was a good bluff. Worked till they were grown..

But I do have a problem with parents today thinking that daycare can "raise" their kids for them. It still takes "disipline" at home and caring. A lot of parents don't see it that way. A hug goes a lot further than a spanking a lot of the time. At least my four year old grandsone responds better to that and an explaination as to "why" he can't do something than to his parents yelling and threatening a spanking.  

Now if I could just get this damn puppy to "respond" to something..........

Hugs BD
IP Logged

floridian

Email

Speaking of BIG BROTHER ...
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 2:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

... A student at the University of Massachussets was enrolled in a poli-sci class on facism and totalitarianism this semester.  For his research paper, he made an interlibrary loan request to borrow a copy of Mao's little red book.  Then two officials from Homeland Security visit him at his parents home to question him.  Interesting lesson on totalitarianism and big brother watching everyone in the 'land of the free.'  

"the student was told by the agents that the book is on a "watch list," and that his background, which included significant time abroad, triggered them to investigate the student further."

"Dr. Williams said he had been planning to offer a course on terrorism next semester, but is reconsidering, because it might put his students at risk.
"I shudder to think of all the students I've had monitoring al-Qaeda Web sites, what the government must think of that," he said. "Mao Tse-Tung is completely harmless."  

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-05/12-17-05/a09lo650.htm

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2005, 2:32pm by floridian » IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 2:36pm »

Makes you wonder what would have happened if the kid had Sun Tzu's book "On War" on his list.

Can't win a war on terrorism by declaring war on us.

Charlie
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2005, 2:39pm by Charlie » IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 4:27pm »

Good grief Charlie Brown!!!!! So much for "free" thinking in this country. What comes next - neighbors watching neighbors and reporting to Big Brother -- hey wait a minute -- didn't that happen already - about 60 years ago in another country -- if I remember my history right - it led to an all out war or something.....  

Geezzz! and I actually wished some people Merry Christmas in "writing" today.... Maybe I should catch the postman before those cards get delivered. May have them fed marshalls knocking on my door. Oh what the heck...... they can take Homer out for his poopy training....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 7:40pm »

on Dec 17th, 2005, 4:27pm, BarbaraD wrote:
What comes next - neighbors watching neighbors and reporting to Big Brother -- hey wait a minute -- didn't that happen already - about 60 years ago in another country -- Hugs BD

I think that was this country, the USA, in the 1950's. Dude named McCarthy started it all.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 9:03am »

I was talking about another dude Bob, but I remember that McCarthy dude too in the 50s. (I tried to block him out). Yeah, now it IS coming back....  

Remember when the worst thing anyone could call you was a "Red!" We were having "Bomb Shelter" Alters and everyoe was putting in bomb shelters and the whole damn country was in a panic. The government had us all scared to death.

A lot of innocent people were "ruined" and back then we didn't even have TV 24 hours a day (or at all for that matter). Just newspapers and radio, but they did a good job of reporting the McCarthy witch-hunts.  

And now we start it up again......

Hugs BD
IP Logged

Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 11:03pm »

And now for a little perspective...  

During much of the time  in fact right up until the mid 1970's those things you miss or "remember" were perfectly, appropriate to do.  
  NONE of those unspoken rules applied to anyone who wasn't caucasian ( white) if you disagree...There are several million corpses of non-white people south of the mason dixon line who would protest if they were alive today. So, while you are remeniscing for the "good ol days" please keep in mind that for many those days weren't so "good". And many of those "rights" you speak of only applied in reference to white americans. Not trying to be P.C. here...just offering some social perspective.

I could probably flood this MB with a great deal of socio-economical, and sociological history (a word I try to avoid because of its litteral meaning) that would probably shock the hell out of many of you. But I won't cause I aint bitter nor better. All I ask is that when you state these things I assume you mean for EVERYONE. Cause I do.

As you were...

'Bus
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss