Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Computer Techs - Ever heard of this? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Computer Techs - Ever heard of this?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computer Techs - Ever heard of this?  (Read 286 times)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Computer Techs - Ever heard of this?
« on: Dec 14th, 2005, 8:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Last week I downloaded the updated Norton Antivirus.  It was a much bigger deal than previous years in terms of time and effort.

Now ... my CD drive doesn't work!  At all!

In order to get a job to the printer today, I had to share the file with my husband's computer and burn the CD from there.  Anyone ever heard of Norton interfering with CD drivers?  Is it possible my CD writer just simply died out of the blue?  The puter is 2 years old - a Dell - and I've never had trouble with it before.  Thanks for any advice!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Computer Techs - Ever heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 8:36pm »

on Dec 14th, 2005, 8:29pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
Last week I downloaded the updated Norton Antivirus.  It was a much bigger deal than previous years in terms of time and effort.

Now ... my CD drive doesn't work!  At all!

In order to get a job to the printer today, I had to share the file with my husband's computer and burn the CD from there.  Anyone ever heard of Norton interfering with CD drivers?  Is it possible my CD writer just simply died out of the blue?  The puter is 2 years old - a Dell - and I've never had trouble with it before.  Thanks for any advice!

Kris

there's your answer.
no clue sorry
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 8:52pm »

Im running XP, last year I D/L'ed a free version of Norton personal firewall.....no probs. When that ran out I bought the latest NPFW D/L and it threw my puter for a loop, so I deleted it....what kills me is that no matter what I do I cant get rid of the free version.....even their removal tool wont get that thing out my shit!

Fuck Norton!!!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 9:50pm »

Yeah, I've experienced that... If I remember correctly it should be just a setting...however, searching the Symmantec site for protocols to fix it are a PITA.
 That being said... Symmantc USED to have the rights to microsoft compatibility but that went south several years ago and system works 05 and 06 STILL arent fully compatible with XP.

Go here :  http:avast.com  download the free version, its self updating and I have been running smooth as silk with it since I installed it... not to mention it has been outstanding at viri-protection.

'Bus
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 9:51pm »

Norton has hooks into just about everything.  It shouldn't have damaged your CD drive but could have affected the drivers.  

Go to Control Panel/System and click the hardware drop down.  You should find a device with a yellow ? mark next to it if Windows in not recognizing the drivers or the device itself.  You can delete the device and reboot - Windows should self discover the device and load the correct drivers as new hardware.    

If Windows doesn't recognize or recover the device it may be a hardware failure and the device should be looked at by a technician.  

If Widows recognizes the device but can't find appropriate drivers either Dell or the device manufacturer should have links where you can download and re-install the drivers.

Tom  
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2005, 9:53pm by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 10:31pm »

McAfee ruin'd my other computer and screw'd up the brouser BAD. Everything looked like grade school level.......on web pages about 4 words would fit on my screen at one time they were so big and NOTHING I did would change it. I had the free version and when it ran out I upgraded by downloading to the new virus version definitions stuff and paid by credit card. It screw'd everything up. So I "bought" the CD and said hell with it.......could NOT get it to run and could not download my new version I paid for where you log in and you get a link......then it really screw'd shit up cuz I couldn't get online. So the CD i bought's installation page would show up but not complete.....could not finish the process and hit OK at the bottom cuz it wasn't there so it would NOT let me do shit once I tried to install it. So I uninstalled and reinstalled like they said to do when I called. Never got my new version I bought online.....no reimbursement even tho they advertise they will if you are not satisfied !! I emailed them several times and even talked to live tech support when I got it straighten'd out MINUS McAfee. I only had so much time to download the upgrade by logging on and hitting the link....it was inactive. I fineally uninstalled and left it that way and bought Norton and so far so good. But I DREAD the day I have to upgrade that in April..........Anti-viral Pam  

Isn't ANYTHING easy anymore ??????
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 12:10am »

on Dec 14th, 2005, 9:51pm, burnt-toast wrote:
It shouldn't have damaged your CD drive but could have affected the drivers.  

Go to Control Panel/System and click the hardware drop down.  You should find a device with a yellow ? mark next to it if Windows in not recognizing the drivers or the device itself.  You can delete the device and reboot - Windows should self discover the device and load the correct drivers.

If Windows doesn't recognize or recover the device it may be a hardware failure and the device should be looked at by a technician.  

If Widows recognizes the device but can't find appropriate drivers either Dell or the device manufacturer should have links where you can download and re-install the drivers.

Tom  

It's under system properties, device manager. Once you delete the drive, you need to re-install it. If windows can't find the drivers, google the name of the  cd drive, and drivers, and you can get a driver online to install.

Then go and get Avast.  http:avast.com Then,

disconnect your dsl line, and go to install, uninstall programs,  and uninstall Norton. If Norton came with the machine, there will still be part of it there, but install Avast, and plug back in. The residual Norton won't interfere, it came with my laptop, and was the first thing I got rid of.  

Avast is free for home users, and automatically updates, it's very easy, and works great. It seems to be the best and easiest to use out of all the ones I've used in the past, including Norton.

smokin
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss