Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 4:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Mind over grey matter »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Mind over grey matter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mind over grey matter  (Read 368 times)
ben_uk
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

100%O2

Mind over grey matter
« on: Dec 15th, 2005, 9:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Power of the mind can lessen chronic pain

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg18825304.700.html  

From issue 2530 of New Scientist magazine, 17 December 2005, page 19

PATIENTS could suppress chronic pain by learning to control the activity of certain areas of their brains.

Christopher deCharms of imaging technology firm Omneuron in California and his colleagues at Stanford University showed eight patients suffering from chronic pain feedback from real-time functional magnetic resonance images of the rostral anterior cingulate cortex (rACC), one of the brain's pain centres.

All of the patients had complicated conditions, including fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain, which had failed to respond to treatment. But after just three 13-minute sessions in the scanner, five of the patients learned to suppress the activity of the rACC and reduce their sensation of pain by more than 50 per cent, according to standard questionnaire assessments (Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, vol 102, p 51).

The volunteers could not explain how they were able to manipulate their brain activity, but control experiments in which healthy people endured painful heat on the palms of their hands showed that they could not diminish pain levels without seeing the brain-scan feedback, or when shown brain scans from a different region of the brain or from a different person.

Previous work suggested that people might be able to manipulate their experience of pain in this way (New Scientist, 1 May 2004, p 9), but this is the first demonstration in a clinical setting. They have yet to establish whether the patients can retain the ability.

Shocked

IP Logged

www.clustermasx.com

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Mind over grey matter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 9:29am »

Dr. Sarno wrote a book called The Mindbody Prescription, which I read 7 or 8 years ago maybe. Reading it came as a result of one of the many diagnoses. They told me at the time that I was stressed out and that was why I was getting headaches.  

I read the book, and still have CH....
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 12:46pm »

Mind over matter.....running screaming bitching yelling slamming into stuff crying and throwing or kicking things.....if all else fails......meds over matter Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 2:48pm »

I can control pain from the neck down but it is hard to use my grey matter when the pain occupies the same space.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss