Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH Preventives and Heart Rate »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH Preventives and Heart Rate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH Preventives and Heart Rate  (Read 925 times)
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

CH Preventives and Heart Rate
« on: Dec 19th, 2004, 3:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Maybe I'm trying too hard to find a link, but I find it interesting that some of the most effective preventives for CH have something in common.  I haven't researched it too deeply, but here's what I've found so far:

Melatonin..  One of the effects of melatonin is that it reduces the heart rate and blood pressure.

Verapamil..  Commonly used med used for reducing the heart rate and blood pressure.

Magnesium..  A deficiency of magnesium causes irregular heart rate and increased blood pressure.  Magnesium supplementation reduces the heart rate and blood pressure.

Water..  People with high blood pressure or arrhythmia are encouraged to drink plenty of water.  For some reason this can reduce the heart rate and blood pressure.

This is as far as I've gotten so far.  Do you think this is off base, or is there a trend here?

The Old Man
IP Logged
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: CH Preventives and Heart Rate
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 6:19pm »

I think your onto something.   When I work hard (as a carpenter, I usually work real hard), then rest, (like driving the truck home) I get hit.  I think blood pressure and stress levels cause CH.  Like when I see blue flashing lights behind me, heart rate increases, stress increases, and I get hit.  When the wife asks me questions and probes my mind, I get stressed, and CH happens.  If I drink alochol, my heartbeat increases, and I get hit.   I wonder why I get hit during sleep---bad dream perhaps increases my blood pressure???? How bout the low pressure that occurs just before a storm hits?   I hope someone will finially figure out what may cause these dayumm things.  Perhaps eventually, we can find the proper prevenative.   The one who figures this out will become favorable with the ones who experience the beast in our heads.   Thanks for thinking.  Perhaps you will find what makes us all feel so much pain----and put an end for those who may follow.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 6:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

No big secret here.

CH is a vascular headache. Lowering the blood pressure means less pounding on the vessel walls the in turn hit the nerves.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2004, 6:21pm by don » IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 6:34pm »

P.S.  Have you seent he Medicine thread

Floridian said scientists have a small study ongoing
about a hole in the heart....

Yeah, heart is related, but so is lack of seratonin....

it is in the chemicals, not just the organs themselves.

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 11:25pm »

Your in the ball park there old man. Vascular headache for sure. The regimens of blood pressure meds I went through boggles my mind. I wish they would have worked. Seems there is more to it. Quite a complex affliction it seems. Hope they find the source someday.
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 6:25am »

Remember the old child's game of setting up a line of dominoes, tipping the first one and watching the whole row topple in succession?

That's more like the issue of blood pressure. Peter Goadsby's work says that Cluster/Migraine is a neurological disorder, apparently triggered in the hypothalamus. It sets all a chain of reactions in our body, blook pressure being one of them--but is th BP part of cluster or an anxiety/stress reaction?  

I've never seen BP mentioned in medical literature as a core element of Cluster which needs to be treated directly so that it affects the course of an attack.  

This is the old problem in science: Because we see one thing follow another, it does not mean the first event caused the second one. Teasing out these cause and effect relationships can be a bear.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 7:27am »

Which brings us to the serotonin question.  Does a lack of serotonin cause the CH, or does the CH reduce the amount of serotonin?  The chicken or the egg.  CH sucks!!!  Had my second PF nite in a row.  Wonder if this is it for this cycle.  Sure would be nice.  Not taking any meds makes it a bit clearer when it's ending...I hope.

The Old Man
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 7:27am »

I'm with Bob on this one, since my BP is normaly low to begin with, and verapamil lowers it even farther to where I can only take 200mg without the side effects of nearly passing out with any movement.  Haven't had my BP taken during a hit of course.  Even at such a low dose, it seems to keep the 9-10's away for the most part.  But those 7's and 8's are still a PITAH.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
BangYourHead
New Board Newbie
USA 

This Site needs a higher google rating

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 10:02am »

Got to give it to Bob on this one... Read every thing you can..
IP Logged
dagger
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 26th, 2004, 7:31pm »

Yeah, I too, typically have low blood pressure but have suffered these things for over 30 years.   I have never had an elevated reading. ( a little higher after imitrex, but nothing of concern to the doc.)  I am in the tenth week of current cycle and had a pf day on Christmas!  And I even had a cocktail for the first time in ten weeks!  Go figure - usually that would bring one on immediately!  I had one other pf day about 2 weeks ago.  Hopefully they are on the outs!!
IP Logged
BackwaterBiomed
New Board Newbie
USA 

TUC+Josh
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 4:12pm »

In regards to blood pressure, heart rate, and REM sleep: one of the ways that REM is identified is that the heart rate increases and becomes irratic and I believe (don't quote me on this) the blood pressure increases.  Also some interesting things happen to neurotramsimiters like sarotonin.
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think your doing a great job ol' man, don't get discouraged. We all appreciate what your doing believe me.  

Keep it up Grin

Sean...........................
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss