Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « maxalt »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   maxalt
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: maxalt  (Read 863 times)
showgirl
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

maxalt
« on: Dec 28th, 2004, 8:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just wondered if anyone else gets a tingling scalp after taking maxalt.  I have just started taking it recently and 20 minutes after i take it  i get a tender tingling scalp.  Just wondered if this is normal.?  Normally lasts for a day or 2.  Hope someone can help.
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

Re: maxalt
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 8:43am »

Hi Showgirl and welcome to the message board! Sorry to hear you have CH though. Can't help you with your maxalt question as I've never taken it. Do you use anything else?

All the best Filbert.
IP Logged
showgirl
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 8:52am »

amitriptyline (thinks its spelt like that) should be one a day but i only take them when i really suffer as the one i was on before made me pile on the pounds.  Then its really hard to shift!! Still working at it a year on.  Thanks for your quick reply.  Hope you are ok today. x
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 9:15am »

Oxygen is recommended by many! It's less invasive on the body than many of the "effective" meds.Have you ever tried it?
 For the UK details on oxygen and other things related to CH in the UK you could try visiting ouchuk.org

Filbert.

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2004, 9:31am by Filbert » IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 10:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Maxalt is another Triptan. If those side effects are severe (or last for days) I'd let your doc know ASAP. Could be a heart related event or it could be nothing to worry about. Why chance it?

Does the Maxalt help you ? Have you tried any other Triptans?

Unsolved
IP Logged
heavyhead
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 11:13am »

Yes...I have had the tingley head, I have also had a 'numb' head from Maxalt. It makes me very uncomfortable, maybe a better word would be 'nervous'  

The Maxalt worked on occasion, but it tended to make me ill as well. Sometimes even increasing the pain in my head. I believe that the culprit is the artificial sweetener in the Maxalt. Since that triggers headaches for me to begin with, when I am already in the swing of one, ingesting the poison doesnt help

I would talk to your dr just to be on the safe side, but I have heard of and experienced this side effect before
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 3:46pm »

Hi Showgirl,

Maxalt has always worked for me. But as my neuro told me, you should only use it once a week. If you over do it, you will get rebound headaches, and they're awful!!!

I've never had any unpleasant side effects
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 10:37pm »

I have taken Maxalt and have noticed some tingling....mostly in the mouth and throat though.  I did not find that Maxalt helped my headaches and I dont know why the doc gave me something that I could only take 4 times a month.  I have around 4 to 7 a week and he prescribed something that I can only take 4 times a month?  That seemed weird.
According to my Doc, the injection is the fastest and arguably the most effective way to get it into your system.  I have found that Imitrex injections are helpful and rather quick.  But keep in mind, the normal dose of Imitrex is a 6mg solution.  Based on the research I have done on this site, I only take 2 or 3mg depending on how pissed off the beast is.  This greatly reduces the cost of the dose from $60 to under $30, and also has the same effect in almost the same time.  As I dont like taking drugs OR spending money, this works out well for me and there is less risk of a rebound headache.
PF wishes  
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 11:13pm »

amitryptaline takes about a week to get into your system.  One at a time probably won't be effective.  Yes, it's a weight gainer and a zombie maker, but it works if you don't mind be slothful and huge.  sorry didn't mean to make fun, but that's what it did to me.

Maybe it makes more sense to try Verapamil... or read up on lithium.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 9:53am »

That's interesting side effect... I've been using maxalt as my painkiller for quite a while and I have not experienced that. But, about 4 hours after taking it I become very sleepy, in zombie kind of way...
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 7:42am »

Maxalt - the sublingual 'melts' were OK and caught I guess a majority of the headcahes in my last cycle (tho' the ones it didn't were spectacularly bad) - tingly scalp I hadn't really noticed.  

But that could have been down to the cycle preventative I was on, Pizotifen, which wasn't pleasant. Energy loss and vast carbohydrate appetite in tandem are a totally unhealthy option.  

There are natural alternatives out there that are more than worth looking into as far as breaking cycles and not just treating the headache - these have offered me by far the most effective solution to the whole cluster headache thing.  

Good luck and all the best

Beastfodder
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Redneck

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 10:45pm »

I started the Maxalt-MLT 10 mg in early December. I have had no side effects other than somewhat sleepy/tired for a while after I take it. It works well for the CH if I take it early, no waiting to see if it's a bad one or not.  

More information on Maxalt (rizatriptan benzoate) can be found here. http://www.maxalt.com/rizatriptan_benzoate/maxalt/consumer/product_infor mation/ppi/index.jsp

I never heard of only taking it 4 times a month, the maker (MERCK) recommends no more than 30 mg in a 24 four hour period.

I hate that the beast found you, and wish you the best of luck.

Jim
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss