Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Looking for stats... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Looking for stats...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Looking for stats...  (Read 4666 times)
Versilleus
New Board Newbie
Canada 

WWW Email

Looking for stats...
« on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 3:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year! Hope everyone has a pain-free freeSmiley

Now for my question. I am looking for some information on  

1. What percentage of people suffer from clusters?
2. What is the suicide rate of cluster sufferers?

The only information I can find for #2 is that there is an increased rate. To make that assumption there must me some statistac evidence to show this. Being a chronic I can definately understand why a sufferer would do that. Its too bad someone has too be in that amount pain to consider it.

Paul
IP Logged
don

Email

Re: Looking for stats...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
The only information I can find for #2 is that there is an increased rate.

Where did that come from?

28 years of CH and I have never known nor heard of anyone committing suicide soley due to clusters.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2005, 8:52am by don » IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 9:37am »

(1) Between .1% - .3% of the population suffer from CH
(2) No known published statistics on suicide rate. I was told that it was as high as 40% before Imitrex came out. But that is hear say and not fact. Plz don't quote me on that one.

Unsolved
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 2:16pm »

my neuro has told me half of one percent of the US population have cluster headaches. that should put the number around 1 million in the US alone. the same number of people who have MS

as for suicide...i've read of one case. but don't know how accurate the source was. i've never heard first hand of anyone taking their life, although the thought has crossed the minds of most of us at some point which is scary enough i think.

j
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 2:23pm »

Just curious, why has this question been posed upon us?

Sean.........................
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 4:59am »

Suicide is if anything more associated with depression than the CH.I've done an ton of research on CH and seen doc after doc.Not much has ever been mentioned about suicide.If it is an obsession with you I think you should speak with you doc about it.When the deamon hits me and he is a frequent visitor,I never consider suicide,but just the next PF moment.Good luck. WinkDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:02am »

Hey wait ... there was a lady who came here awhile back that wanted to be a supporter because of her good male friend who took his life because of CH. Is she still around ?? I forgot her screen name  Huh

Unsolved
IP Logged
Versilleus
New Board Newbie
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 2:35am »

No suicide is not an obsession and before judgement is past on me I do not suffer from suicidal behaviour. I realize talking  suicide is a touchy subject.  

The reason am curious is because of what actually mentioned in a post. The act of suicide is labelled caused by depression;  not by the root cause of indivuals sufferering from chronic pain. I'm not talking about depression causing pain. A suicideoligist I was reading last summer, I'll double check the book name later, suggested more people commit suicide due to the long term pain than is previously thought. Especially when final notes are deduced. The main reasons being the depression associated with those afflictions and the beliefs no one commits suicide from pain.

Anyways the main reason is was hoping to show cluster headaches can be more serious than people want to believe.  
I have appreciated the information so far any more would be great.

Paul
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 9:31am »

1.  The standard rate in the books/internet is 69/100,000. (see www.clusterheadaches.com Grin)

2. the suicide rate at my house is 0.  and will remain that way.

Cheesy
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
don

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 4:31pm »

I might be wrong but I dont think this is accurate.

Quote:
good male friend who took his life because of CH.

If I remember correctly there was a lot of other stuff going on with that guy other than CH.
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 7:28pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2005, 3:27am, Versilleus wrote:
2. What is the suicide rate of cluster sufferers?

Paul

I once spoke with Dr. Lee Kudrow who had seen as many or more cluster patients than anyone. He stated he didn't know of anyone that had committed suicide due to clusters.

I know of one that jumped off a 7 story parking garage while at a treatment facility.

The Clusterbusters surveys show that 64.15% have contemplated suicide.
8.8% have actually attempted it. Maybe we have an increased "attempted" rate, we just (thankfully) suck at it.  
I think that if a larger percentage of people suffered in the 3 hour duration range rather than the 1 hour end of duration, these numbers would both be much higher.  

I think the term "suicide headaches" relates more to the 64% that contemplate suicide than people that actually go through with it. I'm sure many of us bring up the subject with our docs.  

Unfortunately, none that were successful are able to complete the survey. That's not meant to make light of the subject, only stating a fact that would certainly make it difficult to come up with reliable stats. Knowing how we all like to hide our ailment, we'd probably write a note about not being strong enough to go on and feeling bad about letting people down, and skip the cluster part, JMHO. It's been my experience that many of us internalize the problem rather than blame the clusters themselves.

BobW

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
don

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 7:36pm »

Quote:
I think the term "suicide headaches" relates more to the 64% that contemplate suicide than people that actually go through with it. I'm sure many of us bring up the subject with our docs.  

I dont like playing both sides of the fence but descibing a clusters as suicide headaches is a good marketing strategy when trying to impress upon someone the seriousness of this condition.

Bad strategy with insurance companies. It's one less big monthly medication payment to them bastards.
IP Logged
Jonny

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 8:12pm »

30 years chronic......thoughts?....yup.....still here?.....yup Grin

See this >>>> Grin ......thats what I do every time I put my boot in the beasts ass!!

................................jonny
IP Logged
Versilleus
New Board Newbie
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 2:47am »

Thanks for all the information everyone. Getting exact numbers is definately not easySmiley Cheers

Paul
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss