Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Do they ever end at some point in life? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Do they ever end at some point in life?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Do they ever end at some point in life?  (Read 836 times)
calebgg
New Board Newbie
Hong_Kong 

Searching for the true cluster buster

Email

Do they ever end at some point in life?
« on: Jan 5th, 2005, 7:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I read that CH usually affects 20-40 year olds. I got my first at 26, nine years later still get them about once a year. They seem to stop as randomly as they started. That said, is there ever a time when they stop altogether? Are there any people out there that had them for a few years only? A decade or so? Do you know anything specific that led to the end of the episodes altogether? A new job, retirement, marriage, divorce, a new partner, new children? Any medical treatment?
I found that specific life changes often triggered my episodes. In fact, my first episode occurred after I broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years, my second when I was contemplating quitting my job of 7 years. etc. The episodes are usually triggered by moments of great stress - when I have to make a life changing decision, or am faced by a potential life changing decision that I do not necessarily want to make at that time.
Please let me know if you've been an episodic sufferer, and have had a period of remission for longer than 2 years - and if you think you might be in 'permanent remission.' And if you think you're in permament remission, do you have any idea on what caused it? (My longest period of remission was 3.5 years between my first and second episode. Since my second episode, I seem to get them every one to two years.)
Thanks,
Calebgg
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2005, 7:42am by calebgg » IP Logged

Searcing for the true cluster buster
dagger
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Do they ever end at some point in life?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 9:06am »

I posed this same question on the board and most response indicated that they don't quit.  However, my brother hasn't had an episode for over ten years and was told by his neurologist that they often go away as one ages.  I was in remission for 5 years until the beast returned.  This time I am in week 12 of a cycle, the longest one ever!  Usually they last around six weeks.  I am really hoping that this will end forever!!  Good luck - dagger
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 9:31am »

From the OUCH uk info leaflet  

" An encouraging piece of information for sufferers is that a substantial proportion of them can expect longer pain-free periods as they age. "  

Written by Dr Manjit Matharu who used to be a research registrar to Prof. Goadsby.  

Hope is a great thing!  

Filbert.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 9:48am »

Welcome cale...I had my first at age 16...31 years later and for the last 4 years I've been chronic. Never give up hope, though....this thing's got a mind of it's own.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 10:07am »

For the first 20 years of my cluster life I would start a 4-6 week cluster period every 8 or 9 months.

When I turned 40 y/o the remission periods jumped to 2 years in length and every new remission gets a few months longer.  It's now been 3 years since the end of my last cluster.  I'm hoping I've hit that magical age where they stop.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 12:07pm »

I'm 57 now. Clusters started at about age 27. One (sometimes two) cycles a year that lasted 8-10 weeks.

95% of my attacks were nighttime.  

As I got into my 40's the clusters started skipping years. I haven't had a "true" cluster for about 5 years now.  

For the last 3 or 4 years I have been having clusters of shadows that last 8-10 weeks. 95% of them in the daytime.

There are people here old than me that are still having clusters.  

Out grow them? Beats me.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
RollTide87
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 1:16pm »

I started at age 20 with 1 to 2 cyles per year, then as the years went on, 1 cycle per year at about 16 weeks for the cycle. I am now 39 years old and have one cycle every other year that lasts app. 16 weeks. I am currently in cycle. They usually start in November.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The beast is mysterious and unpredictable.  There is hope, but there is also uncertainty.  

I have been in remission for just over two years in the sense that I have not had the severe incapacitating headaches.  But every summer I still notice my body doing weird things during the period when my clusters used to arrive.  So I have not been cured by any stretch, but things have gone from bad to tolerable (knock on wood).
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2005, 2:27pm by floridian » IP Logged
EvertBoer
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 6:40pm »

I'm 55 now. Started episodes at age 19. For the first 20 years or so had an episode every year lasting 5-8 weeks. When I hit my 40's, I started skipping a year or 2 between episodes.  Currently, the remission period is about 5 years. The episodes are lasting longer, but the HA's are easier to abort.
IP Logged
bobbio56
New Board Newbie
USA 

Joke 'em if they can't take a ....

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 8:08pm »

I'm 48, chronic last 2 years. Previous to going chronic I had a 1 1/2 yr break. Thought the bastards were gone. Oops.
Now, they're more intense than ever and every day. I hope I can write soon that they lessen with age.
I am convinced that there is a certain stress component involved, although I'm sure it varies by individual.
I just treat them as the enemy and fight like hell. It heplps to consider them as an outsider with their own personality.  
My girlfriend is convinced I'm nuts, but loves me anyway.  They're so exact in timing that she knows when to stay in 1 room. Best of luck, PFD!
IP Logged
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 10:59pm »

Mine started in my early thirties.  I'm in year 27.  I have 2 cycles per year lasting about 6 weeks.  They hit only at night and I get three hits.  I just went 18 months pf and thought it was over.  In late October they came back.  I'm now in week 10 and they are more intense than ever.  I've had 2 pf days since this cycle started.  I'm 60.  How old do you have to get before they start to ease up?  Maybe it's because I look so good for my age that the beast thinks I'm younger than I really am and he keeps hitting me.

The Old Man
IP Logged
calebgg
New Board Newbie
Hong_Kong 

Searching for the true cluster buster

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 3:40am »

Thanks for all your responses. It is encouraging to read your posts. And I appreciate the support. My remissions seem to be getting a bit longer... I am hopeful. Hope helps. I am in the middle of a cycle now... I usually get mine in the day (occassionally awoken from sleep by one). I thnk my cycle is going down... had 1 monday, three Tuesday, four Wednesday... and so far none Thursday... I just went on Prednisone yesterday, hope it helps... --Caleb
IP Logged

Searcing for the true cluster buster
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 9:47am »

Caleb,
Prednisone stops my attacks dead in their tracks.  They usually return as I taper off the pred.  Your painfree day is likely due to the pred.

Quote:
For the last 3 or 4 years I have been having clusters of shadows that last 8-10 weeks. 95% of them in the daytime.  

I was just telling some clusterbuds the other day that I thought I was having silent attacks.  For the past 6 weeks I've been getting a tingling/swollen feeling in the area of my cluster pain.  It's been happening at the times of day that I normally would have attacks.  Sometimes my schnoz would run or clog along with this.

I figure I've finally smoked enough cigars to turn my arteries to concrete.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2005, 9:52am by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jimi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Who loves ya baby!

Hendrix1473  
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 11:37pm »

My story is very similiar to BobP's. Mine changed at 40 as well. I went 3 years between them in the 90's. The cycle however was 6 mos. In 2000 I had another cycle that went 6 mos also. That has been my last one. It has been 4 years. I used to have them every year prior to that.
IP Logged

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 8:29pm »

I guess I'm the proverbial "fly in the ointment."  Mine didn't start until the tender age of 41.  Never had a headache of ANY kind before that.

Then, again, I'm a woman and "women don't get clusters."

Fact is, the Beast is unpredictable.  Luckily, my cycles are pretty far apart (3-5 years) and what I've learned here on the board will help me with all future cycles - whether they get closer or farther apart - or hopefully disappear altogether!

PF Wishes to All,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 9:41pm »

I never had allergies, sinus problems or headaches until I started menopause---which I had a very easy time---no severe hot flashes or night sweats.  
But I started getting some strange headaches and got treated for sinus---went to chiro---all the usual stuff. Lot's of OTC sinus drugs.  
This was 10-12 years ago.  
As time went on the headaches became worse and more frequent and I could no longer deal with it without
help-----soooooo 2 years ago my Dr. gave me a name for the pain "Cluster".  I got the usual batch of drugs, along with the side effects. About the same time I found this web site and realized "you are not alone".
So, now I'm 61 and preparing for the next cycle with info from cluster/buster----and hoping for the best.
I never felt like I needed hormones, but maybe that might of helped----I'm not going to try them now---putting all my hope in the natural prevent.  
Anyway, the point is I don't quite fit the 30 something male profile. I do have hazel eyes (joke).
So like someone else wrote before it's not predictable.
         Sophie   Smiley
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
aggiegran
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AnnRow1117

« Reply #16 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 11:48pm »

:All I can tell you is I'm 65 started having them at 50, and my episodes last longer, and have more in a 24 hr period....so not only do I fit the age group I don't fit the gender.....What the heck? I keep thinking someone somewhere will find an answer, before they kill me....Good luck to ya, Hope you have lots of PF days ahead!!!! Ann
IP Logged
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #17 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 2:48pm »

Neuro told me clusters usually get better with age, but he currently is seeing a 76 year old  with clusters. Chances are better for improvement w/ age but lets just hope you are one of the lucky ones.
IP Logged

chris
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 6:00am »

I have met 4 neuros so far.
One of them said that I'll be living with CH for the rest of my life.
Another said there's a chance that once I'm over 40 things get easier. I'm 24 now...

So, who knows? God, I do hope they'll end in some point... You know, before death... Grin
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss