Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « That stuffy sinus component... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   That stuffy sinus component...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: That stuffy sinus component...  (Read 909 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

That stuffy sinus component...
« on: Jan 13th, 2005, 4:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So one of the features of CH is getting a congested sinus on the side of the cluster and also watery eye, etc.  We know the drill, we've lived it.

The past few days I have felt like I had a cold.  I've been using saline nasal spray because I don't want to have to take meds.  I do have to see an ENT about removing some scar tissue when I had my "nose job" aka tumour removal!  LMAO!

So anyhow...what's the deal with this?  Last night I had a congested left side of face and I could even feel the pulsating of congestion in my left ear.  I was an ear tube baby and those ears still aren't right!

What do you do?  I got slammed on the left, and I freaking hate that since I'm a right sider most of the time.  But it happens!  Saline nasal spray the best answer?  It almost seemed like the congested sinuses were triggering a CH instead of getting the congested sinus as a result of the CH.

Just curious for other thoughts on this!

Carrie/Lizzie2 Smiley
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: That stuffy sinus component...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 9:02am »

Even though I'm chronic, I have occasional severe episodes. My last one (in Oct) was all on the other side. Ended up in the ER and when they CAT scanned me my right sinus was so inflamed and infected I wasn't getting air through it. The doc said that alone was enough to trigger CH. After a few days on steroid nasal spray (Flonase), and antibiotics I saw significant changes in the HAs. By day 7 on the meds, the episode was over and I was back to my normal chronic left side hits. The ER doc told me to stay on top of allergies and colds so that the sinus' don't get so inflamed.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 9:47am »

I strongly feel that a sinus infection can trigger an episode.

My 1Q-2Q04 episode was one I could not shake.  Turns out I had a sinus infection for the last half of it... on my CH side.  Primary indicator was bloody mucus.  Once I nailed that my episode ended normally.

Now in 12/04 (a year ahead of schedule) another episode kicks off.  About a week into that I note another sinus infection on the CH side... gobs of heavily bloody mucus... no other indication.  I nailed that one, but started shadowing again in late December.  Again... bloody mucus on the CH side... that sinus infection sparked back up.

I have to go with antibiotics to get it out.  Once in a while I would do the 'saline flood' on my CH side... head back... fill the sinus with saline... let it sit for about one very uncomfortable minute.  Interesting things would wash out of there.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:03am »

Wouldn't you know I swear that is what is doing it.  I'm chronic too, but I think things can come and go in waves within the chronic pathway.  

I woke up this morning and I'm supposed to get discharged from the hospital either today or tomorrow and my right side of my head is in screaming migraine fashion...only thing I can say that would trigger this is some sort of sinus infection.  

When I lean forward, I think that my sinuses might truly explode.  I can't take flonase anymore due to it being "Fluticasone" The "sone" part being what is no longer allowed in my body!  I also used to use FloVent inhalers but no more for them either!

I'll just stick with my like 5 year expired bottle of saline nasal spray from Pharmor until I can get a sinus prescription.  Maybe before I leave they will check into the situation and write for something!
IP Logged

Sharpie
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:05am »

Probably wasnt a good idea purchasing a humidifier last night and using it.  Cry I think thats what triggered my attack this morning. Sad
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:30am »

on Jan 13th, 2005, 10:05am, Sharpie wrote:
Probably wasnt a good idea purchasing a humidifier last night and using it.  Cry I think thats what triggered my attack this morning. Sad

My wife keeps the humidty in the house about the same as that of a rain forest.  I have little doubt that is contributing to these sinus infections.  

/off to beat the wife
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Sharpie
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:34am »

on Jan 13th, 2005, 10:30am, Rock_Lobster wrote:

My wife keeps the humidty in the house about the same as that of a rain forest.  I have little doubt that is contributing to these sinus infections.  

/off to beat the wife

Thanks for making me smile. I needed that.   laugh

AND, we are returning that darn humidfier today!
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:35am by Sharpie » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 12:08pm »

My "landsman" is saying: Yes, probably.

: Headache. 1993 Jan;33(1):18-21. Related Articles, Links  

Subcutaneous sumatriptan in cluster headache: a time study of the effect on pain and autonomic symptoms.

Hardebo JE.

Department of Medical Cell Research, University of Lund, Sweden.

A subcutaneous injection of 6 mg sumatriptan rapidly and effectively stopped attacks of cluster headache. After a time lag of 4-14 minutes (mean 7 minutes) pain dramatically dropped to zero within seconds to single minutes (mean 56 seconds). This rapid effect may indicate that mere vasoconstriction is the mechanism behind the beneficial effect of sumatriptan in cluster pain. The findings support a scenario in cluster headache where an inflammation in the cavernous sinus affects the sympathetic fibers traversing the cavernous region. This leads to the miosis, ptosis and forehead anhidrosis but also to a dilated internal carotid arterial tree distal to the lesion. The dilatation, in combination with an obliterated drainage of the cavernous sinus by the inflammatory process, leads to progressive stasis in the sinus, to cause the painful attack. The attack terminates when the enhanced load on the sinus is reduced by constriction of vessels supplying the sinus, as is achieved by administration of sumatriptan. The present observation that other accompanying symptoms during attacks (nasal congestion, rhinorrhea, lacrimation and swelling of eyelids) disappeared in parallel with the pain points to the possibility that these symptoms may be directly related to venous stasis or activation of pain fibers, rather than resulting from a primary parasympathetic activation.

PMID: 8382200 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 1:21pm »

Top-notch info Bob.  Thx!

The problem I have is that once the primary symptom (blood in the mucus) vanishes, like a fool I cease treatment.  Not the way to terminate a sinus infection.  

Indeed, I am shadowing lightly today again and have yet another tinge of the red stuff in my CH-side mucus.  *sigh*

IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
tenacious
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 2:37pm »

Please buy a new saline spray.  The old one is probably causing your infections.  Nasal sprays should be replaced after you've been sick, just like toothbrushes. Wink
IP Logged

Ang
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 5:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Not sure you should return the humidifier - very dry air probably does increase the risk of contracting a cold.   Too much humidity can cause a mold problem, but environmental control to keep humidity and temperature within comfortable ranges is good.  If you are in a cold climate, the humidity can drop pretty low and weaken the external defenses.  

Anti-histamines and Cold-Ease (zinc lozenges) may dampen immune activation.  Moderate humidity is generally a good thing.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2005, 5:05pm by floridian » IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 5:53pm »

Can't really read so much right now, but I will have to remember to check back on the article Bob posted.  I have bloody noses all the time, but they are generally on the opposite side of my clusters and are from scar tissue related problems from when I had surgery at age 16 for a tumor.  I have to use humidified O2 because of that since I was getting so many bloody noses.

In general, I like to be around humidity.  My cousins have cystic fibrosis so we're all kinda used to the inhale in hot steam, cough up half a lung, feeling.

The clusters that I had today all seemed to be related to my sinuses.

I got released from the hospital a couple hours ago...going to take some time to recover!

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 10:38am »

Darn, what next?  Woke up and I can not talk, cold symptoms with stuffed up head, coughing so bad....Had two chs last nite/this morning due to the congestion....smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss