Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadows »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadows
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadows  (Read 823 times)
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Shadows
« on: Jan 14th, 2005, 7:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm trying to get a better understanding of shadows and what they feel like.  Is it pain that is mild (like 1-4 or so)?  It is GLARINGLY obvious to me when I have an 8 or a 10.  A 6 is fairly obvious.  (I'm indecisive and speak in even numbers because 1 through 10 gives me too many choices.  I've rated my migraines, and now clusters, on a scale of 1-5 for several years now.)

I'm not sure if the "lingering" pain I have after an 8 or 10 is a shadow or not.  Or if they are the twinges of pain during the day that often only last for a couple of seconds.  Or if the fact that lightly touching the base of my head and having slight pain (just on my HA side) is a shadow.

Can anyone help?  What are your shadows like?  I'm guessing that when I have this figured out, I can more accurately track what is going on and have a better of understanding of the length of my cycles.

Thanks in advance for your help!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Shadows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 7:28pm »

For my own definition...I call anything under a k4 a shadow. Sometimes it's a mild, constant pain...sometimes more of a throbbing pain. They also last longer ( 1- 2 hours) than my regular, higher hits (40 minutes) That's just how I describe them.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 8:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Shadows to me is the feeling somone is pushing with there finger on the back of my eye for hours on end. Sometimes watering eye, slight blocked nasal cavity, some sensitivity to light.

Sean...........................
IP Logged
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 8:19pm »

A shadow to me is a low level cluster that lasts for hours.   Undecided

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 8:36pm »

For me, a shadow is that lingering, annoying discomfort in my temple/eye that never is a true CHA, but reminds me the beast is still around.  When at the peak of a cycle, I have a constant 24/7 shadow-type pain (kip1-3).  It starts to ramp up a little at certain times of the day, when I can sometimes kick its ass with an espresso.  But when in cycle, I can count on the kip 8-10 every night at the same time until my prevents start to work.

Even then, I know my cycle isn't over until those annoying shadow pains are gone.  

In many ways, a shadow is like a CH hangover that just stays around.  In fact, my temple actually is sore to the touch all the time when I'm at my peak.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 10:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Shadows are sort of "phantom" headaches we get, usually as a warning that an attack is on it's way.
IP Logged
painkiller
New Board Newbie
USA 

just another day in paradise!!!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 10:46pm »

I define "shadow" as the point where it feels like an attack is starting but never fully develops... i get my CHA's during REM sleep mostly and sometimes the "shadows" wake me before the headache gets bad... i'd rate the pain at around 2-4
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 12:11am »

If it even _remotely_ reminds me of CH, then it's a shadow. Don't have a rating system for the damned things. However they're rated, it's a reminder to keep a pocket Triptan nearby.

You go to your church.........
RJ
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2005, 12:14am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
CC2004
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
New_Zealand 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 12:41am »

on Jan 14th, 2005, 7:24pm, Ann9900 wrote:
I'm trying to get a better understanding of shadows and what they feel like.  Is it pain that is mild (like 1-4 or so)?  It is GLARINGLY obvious to me when I have an 8 or a 10.  A 6 is fairly obvious.  (I'm indecisive and speak in even numbers because 1 through 10 gives me too many choices.  I've rated my migraines, and now clusters, on a scale of 1-5 for several years now.)

I'm not sure if the "lingering" pain I have after an 8 or 10 is a shadow or not.  Or if they are the twinges of pain during the day that often only last for a couple of seconds.  Or if the fact that lightly touching the base of my head and having slight pain (just on my HA side) is a shadow.

Can anyone help?  What are your shadows like?  I'm guessing that when I have this figured out, I can more accurately track what is going on and have a better of understanding of the length of my cycles.

Thanks in advance for your help!

hi Ann - I rate 1-5 also.  Shadows for me are usually less than 1, usually I know its not actually a hit starting.  Also yes, I would also describe the lingering pain after a hit as shadowing.  I just stopped shadowing a week ago, my last hit being new years eve (and no, it wasnt alcohol!).  I kicked my cycle in the butt with water water water and only got night hits 5 times after I began WWW, but I had shadowing and opposite side "phantom" pains at least half the time each day every day.  Some of the phantoms on the wrong side were 3-4s (pretty high on our scale Angry) but they didnt usually last more than 10 minutes.  Many were 2s.  I dont remember ever having opposite side phantoms like this or shadowing anywhere near like for the 3 or more weeks I did, and I put it down to interfering with my cycle with the water water water - not great but better than hits any day Grin

hope you're finding what you need around here
wishing you well - keep strong
CC Smiley
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 2:50am »

To me, it's just that . . . . a shadow of a cluster, starting behind the eye and right (for me) temple.  By 2-3, I'm hitting the 02.  Nightime hits might go to KIP 4-5 before I can abort with the 02.  
   Most of my life, I seldom had HAs.  Four years with these things and if it's any other type HA, (frontal lobe, back of the head), I don't worry about it.  Right side/eye/temple = CH shadow = 02 . . . . for me.
   I credit Verap (240), Melatonin 6mg, water/water/water for helping to keep the frequency and intensity much lower than they might be.

PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 6:29am »

For me, a shadow is somewhat compared to the dagger still stuck in my eye but it is no longer hot.  I can still feel the pressure of the dagger but I'm not dancing.

It is also what I rate the kip 1-3's but sometimes I shadow all day with no relief.  I'll get a stuffy nose and droopy eye as well but nothing compared to the droopy eye that comes with a higher kip ch.

IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 8:06am »

on Jan 15th, 2005, 12:11am, Mr. Happy wrote:
If it even _remotely_ reminds me of CH, then it's a shadow. Don't have a rating system for the damned things. However they're rated, it's a reminder to keep a pocket Triptan nearby.

I consider a "shadow" the "Don't you dare forget I'm here feeling!!"........

A reminder of what could be.....a little BOO!! Wink
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 9:53am »

My shadows are the feeling like one is coming on but never materializes; just hangs around not letting me forget it's there. J.
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 10:03am »

I consider my "shadows" as a warning that its time to find my oxygen.  Sometimes my shadows are just that- and do not ramp up to a full blown CH.  Sometimes, my shadow turns out to be the beginning of a full blown brain pain.  Either way, a shadow is my personal trigger to find oxygen-----FAST!!!!.  I use to use that "wait and see" method, but these days, I will not hesitate a bit to breathe in some good old 02.   Even a little "twinge" of pain in my CH spot finds me looking for my oxygen.  Yea, I may be a wimp, but I think I have crawled around enough to learn I dont have to take any chances with that devil.  Oxygen tends to abort my shadows.  If I can abort the shadow, the CH takes longer to hit, and most times does not hit at all.  
   Before my discovery of oxygen (thanks to CH.com) my shadows would last for hours.  Like a really mild CH,  then WHAM!!!!!  I would become a babbling, head banging, worthless man-thing.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
maureen
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 10:15am »

A shadow for me is the constant annoying tingle at the base of my head CH side and behind my eye. Before I found this site I used to call it my" know it's still here  pain." Once that tingle is gone so are my CH.
IP Logged
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 10:40am »

Thanks for all of the great advice!  You've all helped to put a word to what I've been feeling.  I've often thought of this (until now) "undefined" pain as it saying "Hey, I'm still here!"  It often doesn't materialize into anything significant (fortunately for me), but like I said, I'd like to get some definition to my cycle.  The thing that really made me wonder if I was still in my cycle happened Thursday.  I decided to have some fruity wine-cooler-type drink with dinner.  Shortly after, the "lingering pain" I had was becoming more intense.  Nothing I couldn't handle, but stronger than it was before the drink.

Thanks again for the help!  I'll keep reading and keep drinking my water... Smiley
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 12:09pm »

I call shadows, pressure headaches.   To me it's a mild pressure that says it might turn into a fullblown stabbing CH.  Like something is pushing from the inside out, but lightly.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
River_Rat
New Board Old Timer
USA 

NUFF SAID!!!

realtornorm  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 9:28am »

on Jan 14th, 2005, 8:36pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:

In many ways, a shadow is like a CH hangover that just stays around.  In fact, my temple actually is sore to the touch all the time when I'm at my peak.

Kris

Thanks for the quote Kris I couldn't have said it better.

PFDAN

NORM
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss