Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Another spin on water treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Another spin on water treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another spin on water treatment  (Read 974 times)
mochoajr
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Another spin on water treatment
« on: Jan 15th, 2005, 10:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This may be a weird treatment but it worked for me, I suffered clusters for 10 years. every 2 years for 30 to 45 days usually between Aug. and Dec. I haven't had a cluster since I started doing this for now 5 years and I wanted to share my expierence.  
Note: It never aborted a headache or stopped a cycle, but HAS stopped episodes for 5 years.

I sit down with a bottle of ice cold water to start. I use my hand to cup some water, and lower my head to almost knee level and I slowly inhale the water through the nostril on the side I get my headache, the right side for me. I hold the water in my sinuses what feels like about the point closest to the bridge of my nose and corner of my eye. If done right, it hurts a bit. I usually expiernce shrinking, reddening, and tearing of my eye on the same side, almost exactly like when I have a cluster. I repeat this until it no longer hurts to do so, usually 3 to 4 times. I have to do this every couple of weeks, and I have the impression that the more it hurts the closer I was to a cluster. I know it doesn't sound very medical, but it helped me and I felt that I had a responsibility to share it with others. Prior I had tried everything else and nothing would spare me from the pain, and the doctors couldn't help.

Manuel Ochoa Jr
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Another spin on water treatment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 12:28pm »

Manuel, that is a new twist on the water treatment! But, hey, whatever works, go for it.

Welcome to the board.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
mochoajr
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 9:19pm »

I knew people would think I was crazy. Thats why I've never posted. I started treating myself this way because the last time I had a cluster the hospital insisted putting me on oxygen (which did nothing for me) but the oxygen was cold and every once in a while the cold would hit just the right spot and I would get a few seconds relief. The next day during another cluster out of desperation and not wanting to go to emergency and wait 2 hours for treatment,  I tried to create the same effect the oxygen did and I used cold water and it did give me a couple of minutes relief and then the headache would come back and it only worked 2 or three times, and I'd end up going back to emergency.
But after that cycle ended and it was almost time for one again I would get in an almost panic when I felt certain symptoms that I thought was signaling the start of another cycle and I would do the whole thing with cold water and pray that I didn't get a headache. well that year went and I never started a cycle. So I continued to treat myself but thought maybe It just skipped a cycle but last year I missed again. I still have symptoms that are similar to my clusters. Places on my head that I used to bang on to get a few seconds relief when I had cluster still get slight jabs of pain occasionally, like behind my right eye, and some places still become, I guess inflamed is the word, and a little swolen and tender, ususally my right temple and the base of my head on the right side. And the pain feels like a single nerve that goes from my eye along my head to the back, down the side to the temple, jaw joint, and jaw line. So I know they're there waiting to come back. I just hope that someday a cure is found.

Manuel
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 9:37pm »

That's "cool" Manuel....Literally Wink

We have all developed our own little tricks throughout the years that have helped us.
I never thought to try that one though.
I'm glad you have found a trick that works for you and thank you for sharing.  

It may be something that can be archived along with other non-medicinal treatments that help people get by.

Welcome to the family and here's wishing you pain free days!

Eric

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 7:50am »

I do not think you are all that crazy.  

Read the thread on sinus problems that Lizzie started.  

Sinus issues can trigger a cycle for me.  One of the treatments is bathing the sinus in saline.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
benj
New Board Newbie
Australia 

15 year cluster vet...and counting...

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 11:13am »

Snorting water through your nose to get pain relief?

I dunno mate, sounds as if you are going to have to talk with a bunch of people who do things like smacking their heads against walls and inject all manner of things into themselves for a non-saturday night rush, and drink so much water that their bladders will burst (just because maybe...)

Oh wait a second, I think you've come to the right place!

Doesn't sound stupid or crazy when you have a bunch of desperate people (who'll give virtually anything a crack to reduce pain) listening!!

Glad you found something that works so well for you, now for that bottle of ice water.........
IP Logged

I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains - Anne Frank
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 12:42pm »

on Jan 16th, 2005, 9:19pm, mochoajr wrote:
And the pain feels like a single nerve that goes from my eye along my head to the back, down the side to the temple, jaw joint, and jaw line.  
                                       Manuel

Here's the trigeminal nerve that is the source of the pain. Follow the orange colored nerve and you will see that is, in fact, one nerve from the temple to the eye, nose and jaw.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 3:23pm »

Yikes - careful you don't drown!!

Have you ever tried applying ice instead?  I wonder if it's not the temp of the water that's bringing you relief.  Sinus swelling is very common in clusterheads.  I would think it would be a whole lot easier to apply an ice pack or a bag of frozen peas to your face than to snort water upside down!

but, hey - if it's bringing you relief, then good on ya!
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Interesting treatment, thanks for sharing. I suspect there might be something to it - I have used cold to some good effect, but never so close to the source of the pain.  That might desensitize the nerve or something.  

IP Logged
mochoa.jr
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 4:17am »

Thanks for everybodies input.... I think I'm the one that thought I might have lost it. My wife still thinks I'm a little out there, but she's glad she hasn't had to take me to emergency. As to the question about Ice, No.... I've never tried it.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't have the guts to test if the headaches return if I stop treating myself. Thanks for the illustration BobG, that really gives me confidence that there might be a medical reason why this works for me.

Thanks Again Everybody
IP Logged
MOMO3
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 8:57pm »

That's great that this treatment worked for you.  I know people whose doctors recommended this same treatment for sinus infections, except using saline water.   Not so crazy especially if it brings you relief.   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss