Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:47am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Airlines and meds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Airlines and meds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Airlines and meds  (Read 427 times)
Low_Viz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Airlines and meds
« on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What terrible timing for me. Episodic for 12 years, every 18 months like clock work.My last one ended in Sept.I booked a trip to the Dominican Republic at a all-inclusive so I can abuse my liver and now 1 week before, the beast pays me a visit.I called United Airlines to find out about my trex and they told me that as long as it is in the orig carton with the seal I can take it onboard no prob. I am still bringing a note from my doc though.

Now for the O2, You can't bring a full tank on board or check it. They can provide onboard o2, if you call 48 hrs ahead and they speak to your doc.. It is 100$ per flight.The medical supply that I deal with is in contact with supplier in the DR to set me up with a rental unit for a week or o2 fills if I bring my own tank.I am waiting to find out on Monday how much this will cost.I am sure it will be a small fortune.The only way you can bring your tank is if it is in a carton and they say you can check it or carry it on.I am not so sure it will be that simple.

All in all I wish I had bought the darn travel insurance so I could cancel and reschedule in 2 months.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Re: Airlines and meds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 1:20am »

Hi LowViz,

I'm not so sure it'll be that simple either, but I'm sure there are folks here with recent info on the 02 problem.

Thirty years ago, I was in the diving business and the airlines at that time required you to bleed the tanks empty because of the possible danger of rupture of "high pressure vessel" - - At the time most tanks were steel and therefore susceptable to rust  - - the tank that blew up "Jaws" was an aluminum 80 (cu.ft.)

Besides the pressure vessel issue, now of course security is worried about poisonous gases, bombs, whatever.  See if you can e-mail the hotel and arrange for them to contact a local 02 supplier . . . surely this must come up all the time with the number of senior citizens and people with all types of breathing difficulties traveling to vacation spots.  Take your own regulator/mask and use the airline's 02 on the way.

Hope the beast stays here while you're away . . . . well, not HERE exactly

Be safe,

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Low_Viz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 1:33am »

Thanks for the insight, You mentioned that you were in the diving business, I am hoping to get some dives in while I am on vacation, do have any experience with diving and clusters? I have been diving for almost as long as I have had clusters but never dove during an episode.I was thinking that If I do get hit by the beast, I can just use my trex or they will probably have o2 on the boat.But if I know that I will get hit I wont even dive.It's just like the beer, I love it but have to leave it during the episodes.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 1:47am »

If you can have CH and be lucky, I'm lucky I've only been dealing with the beast for four years . . . took me a year to find this place and a "name-for-the-pain".  So many here have been fighting him for so much longer.

I'm thinking that a couple atmospheres of extra pressure probably wouldn't be a good thing during a ch attack . . . and I doubt that your average dive boat would have 02 on board . . . but they wouldn't care if you brought your own . . . hell, it's just another tank, all of which have as much or more psi than the 2,ooo psi in a full 02 tank.  (usually 2250 to 3000+)
IP Logged

RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 1:53am »

We can both try this experiment . . . . next hit you get, try clearing your ears.  I know what sneezing does for me......jeez!
IP Logged

kekahbah
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:20pm »

Hi LowViz,

Back in October I went through this same ordeal, the beast came on a week before a two week trip to Italy.  I was able to get the O2 on the airline both ways, and was lucky enough that my insurance reimbursed me for it.  On the ground there are agencies that can help obtain the O2, try www.theoxygentraveler.com or www.medicaltravel.org.  They need at least three or four days at least usually so I would contact them quickly.  One of the things we discovered in Italy was that you could go into a pharmacy and get O2 without a Rx, you may want to check into that also.  Save any receipts you get though, you may be able to get the insurance to reimburse for part of the expense.

-Chris
IP Logged
Low_Viz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 12:00am »

I now have 8.5 shots of trex to bring with me. I am still waiting to hear what the o2 is going to cost me but I do know that the only supplier is 4hrs away.I am going to call the ins. in the morning to see if they will cover any of it.I am hoping that I can get by without it.I have only had 2 CH's in the past 5 days and only 1 that I needed to abort.Wouldnt ya know it that when I had my O2 delivered to the house I didnt look at the regulator and when I went to use it, it maxed at 8 lpm.When it rains it pours! Thankfully they brought another out within a few hours, a few hours to late but better late than never.

Richard I will let you know about the diving, I am going to try it. My fear is not the dive but suiting up and waiting to get in the water.The heat and all the gear.I am leaving in 36 hours and am hoping for the best.

Take care everyone and I will be back in a week.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 12:15am »

Wishing you a great vacation . . . and I hope the beast gets lost in the luggage  Wink

Get plenty of sun  Cool, and don't play with the morays  Shocked

We'll be looking for some vacation pics.

Be safe and PF

Richard
IP Logged

Low_Viz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:41pm »

I went and saw my Dr. this morning and told him about the trip and he bumped me up to 80 mg of pred., Wow I think I am lucky I am staying all inclusive. I may eat all of their food. I found out that it will cost 750 $ for the O2 rental and delivery. That is what I paid for my trip. Yikes !! I feel pretty positive about being able to make it without it, I just hope I dont have probs being on such a high dose of the pred. I have never taken over 50mg for 5 days and he set me up to take 80 for 10 days. adios
IP Logged
Low_Viz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 2:36am »

Well , It was fantastic and the beast stayed away. I only had one shadow in the middle of the week.I made a dive to 92 feet and had no problems during or afterwards.Being on such a high dose of pred. stuffed me up pretty good though. I ate like a king but looked like a pregnant queen.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 4:20am »

100 bucks?! Shocked
Luckily I haven't had CHs during flights... so far. thumbsup

I hope you'll have a PF journey!
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:15am »

Good luck and best wishes for your vacation!

I am a scuba diver, but the times I've gone diving, I've been out of cycle, with no noticeable difference, unexplained sudden onset of cycles, or anything of the sort.

I am planning a dive trip in early spring, during which I may or may not be in cycle. In any case, I'm not going to alter my schedule. And if I get hit, I get hit. I'll deal with it.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:45am »

Congrats on the great vacation . . .  wave. . . that's green with envy  Wink

Frank . . . you didn't mention you were a diver also . . . more to talk about.

Later
IP Logged

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 10:11am »

on Feb 8th, 2005, 9:45am, RichardN wrote:
Congrats on the great vacation . . .  wave. . . that's green with envy  Wink

Frank . . . you didn't mention you were a diver also . . . more to talk about.

Later

Yep! Smiley
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss