Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie  (Read 298 times)
BrianDupuis
New Board Newbie
USA 

PHIMUADUP
Email

« on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 9:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just started getting these damn things about a month ago.   I'm a 24 year old teacher.  I get them about 3 times a day, and it radiates down my jaw to my glands. I sure am glad I found this site!

Keep spreadin' the good word!
Brian
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 1:20am »

Welcome Brian and sorry you're here. Look around the site here and print some info to take to a neurologist. You will need a definitive diagnosis in order to get the help you need. Pain free wishes to you...nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 2:56am »

Welcome Brian.  Teaher, huh?  What do you teach?  Pull up a chair and tell us a little about yourself and your particular symptoms.  Where do you get the pain?  When do they hit you?  How long do they last?  1 - 10 how much pain?  What have you done so far to treat them?  Does that work?  Have you seen a doc?

Lots of questions, I know.  Clusterheads are curious by nature I think and while none of us are docs, having a little info can help you not re-invent the wheel and help you get the most out of this site.

The best way to help yourself is to learn everything about this disease.  Start by taking the cluster quiz over there on the left.  Then read, read, read everything there and at the OUCH website.  

You will want to see a doctor, preferably a neurologist that specializes in headaches and knows about CH.  Unfortunately they are hard to find.  A usual precaution is to have an MRI done to rule out any organic causes like tumors and such.  There are some organic problems that can mimic CH.  While you most likely do not have anything to worry about, it is always best to check, especially if you have had any recent head injuries.

Well, I've wagged my tongue enough for now.  Like I said, Welcome.  If you have CH, this is the best place in the world for info and support.

Gator
IP Logged
BrianDupuis
New Board Newbie
USA 

PHIMUADUP
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 6:14am »

I teach music (band, to be more specific).  Perfect, eh?

Mine are on the left side - seems like on the entire head and face.  Morning, afternoon, night, and early morning like clockwork.  Some last 30 min.  Some many hours.  Pain ranges from 4-7, sometimes one of those "I'm going to kill myself" things.  I've been to the doc - had a CT (cat) scan - nothing abnormal.  The Doc actually suggested clusters (internal medicine doc).  Told me to look around for info/help because there wasn't much known about them.  Roll Eyes  

Glad I found this - will go with printouts soon!!!

Thanks all!
Brian
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:04am »

While I appreciate your doc's honesty, if I you are going to continue to work with him, consider gettting the first book and share it with him.  
----------
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:35am »

Welcome to CH family, Brian!  Smiley

I am so sorry that you have CH, no one should. But I am so glad that you found us.

Wishing you lots of PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss