Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « o2 and hot flashes?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   o2 and hot flashes??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: o2 and hot flashes??  (Read 655 times)
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

o2 and hot flashes??
« on: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just started using o2 about a week ago and have noticed that I sometimes get a hot flash or something while I am getting hit and sucking on o2.  I think that it usually happens when the pain starts to intensify and then it just goes away??  I have had CH for a long time and until now have never used anything but ice or cold shower - this never happened before??  I am 29 so I don't think its a hormonal thing?  Is it the o2?  or my anxiety?? Just wondering if anyone had experienced any such thing?  Thanks
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

Re: o2 and hot flashes??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 2:09pm »

I have the hot flash too.

I get only nightime hits.....the hot flash happens just before the pain begins.   Matter of fact...usually it's the hot flash that wakens me.    

Not sure though about the hot flash and 02 thingey.

Surely someone else will come along and give their experience.

PF vibes,

Jean

IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I usually get one very intense hot flash at the end of a cycle, and then its over for a year.  I am male - no menopause issues for me.  And its probably not hormone related for you.  

Hot flashes are linked to compounds in the body like CGRP, nitric oxide and substance P.  These are overproduced in cluster headache and migraine - in large amounts, they are associated with vasodilation, pain and the sensation of heat. Researchers are now looking for meds that can block CGRP to treat migraine and clusters.  

In totally unscientific terms, I would describe the hot flashes as the beast fighting the oxygen - a last attempt to stimulate CGRP, nitric oxide, and other painful demons before he retreats.  

Here is one article that found that CGRP can be blocked with proanthocyanidins - these are common molecules in plants (think red and blue colors in berries).  The second abstract shows that a Japanese herbal formula can reduce CGRP and hot flashes - this tea also is red from the cinnamon twig, red peony and tree peony (moutan).  

Quote:
J Invest Dermatol. 2001 Sep;117(3):725-30.  

Inhibition of neurogenic inflammation by the Amazonian herbal medicine sangre de grado.

Miller MJ, Vergnolle N, McKnight W, Musah RA, Davison CA, Trentacosti AM, Thompson JH, Sandoval M, Wallace JL.

Department of Pediatrics, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York, New York 12208, USA. millermj@mail.amc.edu

This study was designed to determine if the Amazonian medicinal sangre de grado, confers benefit by suppressing the activation of sensory afferent nerves. METHODS: (i) vasorelaxation of rat mesenteric arteries in response to calcitonin gene-related peptide; (ii) rat paw edema in response to protease- activating peptide receptor 2-activating peptide; (iii) rat paw hyperalgesia in response to low-dose protease-activating peptide receptor 2-activating peptide or prostaglandin E2; (iv) gastric hyperemia in response luminal capsaicin; (v) a clinical trial of a sangre de grado balm in pest control workers. The parent botanical was fractionated for evaluation of potential active components. In preconstricted rat mesenteric arteries, highly diluted sangre de grado (1:10,000) caused a shift to the right of the calcitonin gene-related peptide dose-response curve (p < 0.01). Paw edema in response to protease-activating peptide receptor 2-activating peptide (500 microg) was reduced by as single topical administration sangre de grado balm (1% concentration, p < 0.01) for at least 6 h. Hyperalgesia induced by either low-dose protease-activating peptide receptor 2-activating peptide (50 microg) or prostaglandin E2 was prevented by sangre de grado balm. A fraction possessing analgesic and capsaicin antagonistic properties was isolated and high-performance liquid chromatography and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis indicated that it was a proanthocyandin oligomer. In pest control workers, sangre de grado balm (Zangrado) was preferred over placebo, for the relief of itching, pain, discomfort, edema, and redness in response to wasps, fire ants, mosquitoes, bees, cuts, abrasions, and plant reactions. Subjects reported relief within minutes. We conclude that sangre de grado is a potent inhibitor of sensory afferent nerve mechanisms and supports its ethnomedical use for disorders characterized by neurogenic inflammation.

"Proanthocyanidins can be found in many plants, most notably pine bark, grape seed, and grape skin. However, bilberry, cranberry, black currant, green tea, black tea, and other plants also contain these flavonoids. Nutritional supplements containing proanthocyanidins extracts from various plant sources are available, alone or in combination with other nutrients, in herbal extracts, capsules, and tablets."  

Quote:
Maturitas. 2003 Jul 25;45(3):199-204.  

Menopausal hot flash and calciotonin gene-related peptide; effect of Keishi-bukuryo-gan, a kampo medicine, related to plasma calciotonin gene-related peptide level.

Chen JT, Shiraki M.

JT Chen Clinic, Sunbright Twin 3F, 2-46-1 Honcho, Nakano-Ku, Tokyo 164-0012, Japan.

OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study is to investigate relationship of menopausal hot flash and calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP). Furthermore, this study evaluated the effect of the Japanese herbal (kampo) medicine Keishi-bukuryo-gan from the aspect of CGRP regulation. METHODS: Plasma CGRP and vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) levels were measured during hot flash and CGRP reactivity was studied by cold load test in subjects with/without hot flashes. The effect of Keishi-bukuryo-gan was assessed in comparison with plasma CGRP level. RESULTS: Only plasma CGRP but not VIP significantly elevated at the occurrence of hot flash (P=0.002). Stress by cold load significantly enhanced the over-secretion of CGRP in subjects with flash compared with those without flash (P=0.003) 3 min after the load. Keishi-bukuryo-gan decreased plasma CGRP level in subjects with hot flash. CONCLUSIONS: CGRP but not VIP was mainly related to the occurrence of hot flash. Keishi-bukuryo-gan, Japanese herbal medicine, improves hot flash possibly affecting plasma CGRP level.

Hot peppers and ginger both increase the release of CGRP in the short term (HOT!) but when eaten regularly, they can reduce CGRP as they deplete it / desensitize the nerves that release it.  

IP Logged
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 3:27pm »

Thank you Jean and Floridian for the info.  

Floridian - wow great info I am going to print it out and read carefully.  Thank you!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss