Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 8:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Does anyone keep a CH journal? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Does anyone keep a CH journal?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does anyone keep a CH journal?  (Read 499 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

Does anyone keep a CH journal?
« on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have had 2 docs tell me to keep a CH journal and write down the date, time, level and duration.  Does anyone here do that?
What is that useful for?
Thanks and PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

Re: Does anyone keep a CH journal?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:42pm »

It does help as our memory of extreme pain
disappears and we mitigate it downward
thinking it couldn't have possibly hurt that bad...

Also if you have more than one type of headache, the journal will illuminate it.  It is possible that stress
or food allergies are causing some of the pains....

No one seems to really want to read it,
not one doc ever did more than peruse it,
but after fighting this for 6 years without a journal,
now I have better amo for the docts who want to
prescribe Tylenol-3 and send me home.... lol  Wink   laugh

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:49pm »

It's a good idea to do so, Brian. Not just a CH journal, a headache journal. Like TJ said, it helps you see if you have specific triggers and to see if you may suffer from more than one type of headache.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
bigred
New Board Junior
USA 

persaverance

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 1:03pm »

I have kept a notebook with every pill or headache Ive had since last october. It was scary to look back and see how desperate I was in using over the counter meds. It made me realize I needed help. I went to my first neuro doc on 1-28 and it did help him get up to date on the frequacy and high leval of pain I was in.
     It saved time in his evauluation of where my cycle was at. Also in his prescription for fast action.  
 I highly recomend good record keeping on your meds and dont forget to kip-scale your HA with time of day and leval of pain.
     Good luck,
 BIGRED Cool
IP Logged

fishing for relief in a very big pond.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 1:04pm »

I have a scatter plot developed that accounts for all variable (pre-meds, meds, times, duration, pain levels etc............) that I have been able to think of..

I kept it for many months and literally prints out over 10ft. long and near 3ft high........

Too be honest once I came to "grips" I started slacking......

I can send you my template if you like.....

I think I stopped taking data in September to be honest after starting cycle Full Blown in MAY but according to my wife getting brief wake me ups ...shadows...premonitions of what were to come in April. Who knows...I never new it would last this long.(Not complaining..)

Point : It is good to try to find patterns in your heads behavior Wink and to see if meds are actually working .
Sometimes when you put it in a visual display you can  see the patterns.....changes, etc.

Good practice.

Be well,

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 8:21pm »

Yes, yes, yes!

My journal is vital to both me and my doc.  By noting the times of day, duration, intensity, what works and what doesn't, med doses, etc., you and your doctor get a pretty clear picture of your cycles and what works best for you.

For newbies who might still be undiagnosed, it can be especially helpful, since there's nothing quite as distinct as the pattern(s) of a CH sufferer.

After my last cycle ended, I kept my journal as I slowly weaned off all meds - noting shadows, twinges, etc.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
1MajorPain
New Board Junior
USA 

Pain is not my friend!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 8:55am »

I have always had a journal, among other things it gives me something to do to take my mind off the pain of the beast. Once I started using mushrooms it gave me a clear view if things were improving and the direction I needed for futher dosing.

Major
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 10:09am »

I have used one in the past it helped me identify the fact the I have CHRONIC UNPROVOCTED (except by alcohol) CLUSTER HEADACHES.
However I could see thet it might be of some benefit.
MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 7:45pm »

I did, let me show you an excerpt.

Monday Jan 1st 1999.  "Fuck"

Tuesday Jan 2nd     "shit shit shit shit"

Wednesday Jan 3rd "Bollocks"

Thursday   Jan 4th   " Sweet Jesus"

Friday Jan 5th    " You gotta be shittin' me"

Sat  Jan 6th    " Mother F........"

Sun Jan 7th    " HAELP"
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
PrettyH8Machine

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 30th, 2005, 7:45pm, Jayne wrote:
I did, let me show you an excerpt.

Monday Jan 1st 1999.  "Fuck"

Tuesday Jan 2nd          "shit shit shit shit"

Wednesday Jan 3rd      "Bollocks"

Thursday   Jan 4th        " Sweet Jesus"

Friday Jan 5th              " You gotta be shittin' me"

Sat  Jan 6th                   " Mother F........"

Sun Jan 7th                   " HAELP"

That pretty much sums up my book too.  Grin

Though the last 2 days have been 'different' since my first dose of the alternative cluster treatment as referred to at Clusterbusters.com. I have only had 2 attacks the last 2 days, and right now am very lightly shadowing which, being chronic, is not the norm for me. I usually shadow from heavy most of the time to 'oh fuck' kip3-4 at other times. I still have a tender & sore temple, but its not burning like normal while feeling that pulling in the back of my eye.

Phase II of the alternative treatment will be Wednesday with part III the following monday.  

Wish me lucky charms,  
CD
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 3:43am »

I do. But, in my case, my CH diary consists of how many times I have it daily, in what side (usually right) and what medication I have used, both preventatives and painkillers.

The biggest advantages have been that my docs can see what meds & doses have already been used. It also reminds me when was the last time I had a PF day, which is, of course, rare.

Best wishes & PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #11 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 9:06am »

I've found my journal extremely useful when I've gone to the ER.

It's hard for me to communicate while in pain so it shows pretty much what's going on and what meds I've taken. It helps them not to give me drugs that will collide with what I've taken for prevents or abortives. Last time I was there they just copied it and put it with my chart.

The chart or journal can never tell the entire story of your HA's (unless it looks like Eric's Winkthat is one amazing chart), but it is very helpful to have as a base to start from with yourself and the docs.

Be well,
lionsound

If you go here there is a simple calendar from NECH you can download. It's a good one to start with:
http://www.headachenech.com/patients/
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 4:22pm »

For some reason, long before I found this site, I kept a journal of the Clusters, when they came, how long between cycles etc, meds I took, pain level. I used color pencils and had a code as to what each color ment.
I never took it to a Doctor, I never had one ask, but then for several years I gave up going to Doctors, I had made up my mind that they couldn't help me.
When I found this site, I tried Doctors and medication again. I have had very good luck.
I agree with the others keeping a journal is a good point of reference to you and your Doc, if he asks, or not!

Ruth
+
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:42pm »

I keep a log of everything...
shadows  
CH's
drugs taken

As the others have mentioned... I still cannot believe how many meds I was taking and how frequently I was being slammed as recently as last episode.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 11:04am »

Don't forget CHATS up top there.
It's an online journal tool.
in Beta, but needing testers.
go on... jump right in.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 11:46am »

We second what Major said . . .we keep a h/a journal . . .and used it to determine when to dose & how it was working . . .. . .it really sucked writing down the h/as but it totally ROCKED when we realized that we had the beast all kinds of phucked up . . .and then could watch (and feel) as it faded away . . .  
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 12:50am »

I used to until it depressed me.......decided that I already took enough meds, didn't need to add Zoloft or Abilify.
IP Logged
Mr.YL
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 1:15am »

YUP and the test Dr. snagged a copy without my permission once. Oh well stats show that ole Jorge didn't get any use out of it nor asked me for my opinon.
Hay...KEEP a JOURNAL...
Mr.YL
IP Logged

keep livin clean...
Mr.YL
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 1:23am »

Also when we slip out of cycle we can look back and see what we went through. Knowing we made it and will be stronger the next round. Our memory may slip so we can look back during the good times and rflol at the beast knowing it did not get the best of this epishode... Mr.YL... Heck just as Elain, I have wondered back to this site just to see what it was I was goin through and alot of my Journal from time to time is posted right here. again thanks DJ
IP Logged

keep livin clean...
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 12:49pm »

My second neuro asked me to keep a journal.  I tracked date, time, intensity, duration, medication, what I was doing and what I had eaten, then the ba$tard never asked to see it.  I was getting hit so much that it seemed all I did was bang my head or write about it, so I stopped.  It's been going for 16 months now.  The crap ain't going away and I have better things to do with my life than to relive every ache and pain.  

IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 1:30pm »

When Dave goes into cycle we keep a journal... The docs say he is a text book case...His cycle always goes like this....

He will get hit............... about 1-2 weeks later he gets hit again. Then they get closer like every couple of days rapidly closing in on him. Then he gets like one a day, two a day, etc.  Then he gets more and more per day usually around the same time every day and night. The intensity gets worse and worse and worse and worse and he gets more and more and more and more...til he thinks he is going to die..........we call this his "peak" time. This is when he abuses his meds and takes too much imatrex and I'm on suicide watch....
  Then the cycle that it is... it gradually goes the other way...as if leaving us... spacing out in the same manner.  

We wouldnt know this unless........... we journaled it... Im sure there are times when Im not there.  When he is at work and Im away from home and he gets hit etc... but the last time we were effectively doing it... thats how it went.......... be well  ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Edu_Martins
New Board Newbie
Brazil 

...just a fear of sleep...

« Reply #21 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 3:29pm »

I do that since i knew i was a Clusterhead.

Im monitoring just the days, duration, medications and the strengh of the pain.

Reading this, date to date, i can see some like this:

about 18-20 days with crisis and about 10-15 days without the pain. Most of my pains are medium and strong and it takes about 1 hour to finnish.
IP Logged

[]s Edu Martins
MorDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

Not Again!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:02pm »

I keep a journal.  No one ever asked me too.  It is more for my benefit then anyone elses.  It is just one of the tools I try to use to help cope.
IP Logged

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.
moi
New Board Newbie
New_Zealand 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 4:38pm »

hey bmonee. Seeings as my ch's have only started in th e last two weeks or so and I only get one Booma a day I have a inbuilt diary, so far.  Tis a great idea though.  I will start today.  I'm more for the things that I do each day , eat, and drink, and my posture.  Being that heat is a spark for me, sitting with my head verticle body on a slant and legs horizontal, like being propped up in bed reading a book, these things I know never to do. Drinking also.  I thought it would be great to have a page where people could post the things that spark their ch's off. It may help others in thinking before they act.  I'd also love to here from people who have had long time breaks in there cycles.  Do they remember something different about that time, ie stress was at zero,  they were fitter, or their attitudes were different to the stage they were at when their cycles started again.  moi
IP Logged
Wendy1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 11:31pm »

I used to keep a journal because I my cycles have been 2 yrs apart and I can't always remember what worked the last cycle and all the things I've already tried.

Also if you're taking any prednisone, it's good to keep track of the taper.  

I don't anymore because the only thing that works for me is Verapamil, O2, Vicodin for pain, and an occaissional trip to ER with Demerol.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss