Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Additional Symtoms »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Additional Symtoms
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Additional Symtoms  (Read 478 times)
Lili-Laura
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

Lover of Dogs & Cats

Additional Symtoms
« on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 1:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi.  I had such a good 2004, but have just started a phase, it started last week Tuesday, with midday attacks, skipped some days in between.  I am disheartened and keep thinking if I ignore it, it'll go away.  It's horrible to start a new year with huge medical bills!  I don't want to take meds until it really get bad.  I have used maxalt wafers in the past, but it is to expensive if in mid-phase (more than 3 attacks a day).   I have a question about symptoms that accompany the attack.  These are rising temperature (sweating in face & head) and feeling queezy (sorry spelling), not hyper-ventilating, but that "big head, spaced-out" feeling when hyper-ventilating.  I think it's mild hyper-ventilating due to knowing what's coming, also since late my head starts feeling heavy and world spins when I move my head. THis is bad as I need to pace and can't!  Does anyone else suffer from these side-affects and are there cheap meds that can help?
IP Logged

Lili-Laura
_L_
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Additional Symtoms
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 1:42am »

Yeah Lili.....i get that queezy feeling too...

Like you, I also had a good 2004.....my cycle just started back about 2 weeks ago......

I feel as though my temperature rises, right when a shadow appears...sometimes it feels like my heart races too....

I get my HA's on my right side of my head, and my right eye has ALWAYS BEEN VICTIMIZED.....it turns red, starts to water.....burns......sometimes i think if it wasn't for the EYE SYMPTOMS, THE K3 thru K5 range would be BEARABLE....

You ever feel some "activity", on your "clusterside" of your head? Its hard to describe....its like, throughout the day, when im not having a HA....i'll feel some "activity" going on in my head in the area where i usually feel the clusters....kinda like a "sprinkling" feeling, or mild "tingling" or something......lasts for seconds, then goes away...its as if you can actually FEEL THE BLOODFLOW in your head for a few seconds....feels weird...but it doesn't hurt.

as you already know....none of the cheap meds work.....for me at least...
IP Logged
Lili-Laura
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

Lover of Dogs & Cats

« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 2:01am »

Hi. Yeah, I call them "crampies" - little head cramps.  I also sometimes have shadows for long before the attach begin.   I just remembered, I used activan in the past, it's a mild tranquilizer that you pop under your tongue, and it's not too expensive.  I think I should get some again.   I also use oxygen at home, but the current cycle has been at work, and my oxygen tank isn't portable.   How does your cycle start?  Like currently, I had an attach 10h30 last tuesday, same time wednesday, nothing thursday & friday, 12h00 saturday, 20h00 sunday night, nothing monday, 16h00 yesterday.  When I had a really bad cycle, at the peak it last about 45 minutes with 30 minutes painfree inbetween.   Have you tried Maxalt?  It most times aborts the attach, but like I said, it's very expensive.
IP Logged

Lili-Laura
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 6:10am »

The sweating is common. I keep my house COLD and everyone wears overcoats. I get "cramps" in my left ear that usually tells me - the beast is about to appear.  

Coffee works good for me (some of the time). If I get to a 6-7, I usually try (first line of defense) 3 Excedrin with coffee (but can't take that very often because of rebounds). It it doesn't slow down - I go for the cafergot.

CH is NOT cheap. Our meds are way overpriced, but ....  

Melatonin at night (9mg) usually gets me the rest I have to have to survive (5-6 hours most of the time). Valerain Root caps help to relax the neck muscles (smells awful - hold your breath if you take them).  

You just have to find what's 'right' for you.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 8:26pm »

Hi Lili,

When I'm in cycle, I don't really have the dizziness, heavy head, etc. that you talk about.  However ... Since I've started going through menopause, I have (it's like being seasick).

The one all-natural ingredient recommended by my nurse practitioner was Ginger (in capsule form).  2 capsules twice a day has done wonders for my dizziness and heavy head and shoulders feelings.

I have no idea if it would work for cluster symptoms like you describe, but it can't hurt either.  I'm no doctor, but it might be worth a try, since it can't hurt you.

Best Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:42am »

Hi,
Yes, I get sweaty during an attack, not often sickish to my stomach, but have once in a while, if the pain lasts along time, thrown up a little bit. Then when the attack is over I am freezing.
I have had the twinges that you speak of I am a right side sufferer like you.  
If you keep notes you will be surprised at the the things that go on with your body during a CH cycle.
Good luck through this, no cheap meds that I no of except Melatonin, I use O2, and imitrex, but my insurance is good to me.

Take care.

Ruth
IP Logged
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:23pm »

Being that the head rules the body, it is not surprising to hear all the symptoms y'all describe. Sometimes I think the other symptoms are just as bad as the damn ha and they last and linger. The thing is you just don't feel right at all during a cycle. And you don't look right either. When I am having a cycle I don't even recognize myself in the mirror. People who know me know somethings coming just to look at me. Kris Get the book called What doctors don't tell you about menopause by Dr. Lee. Very good. I have just started taking natural progesterone so I will let you know how it is working. The doc said I have to give it at least two months. I had a total hysterectomy and do take the lowest dose of Estrogen also which is recommended for people who had TAH even by naturopaths. If you are going through natural menopause, there are many natrual products women swear by, Menosense is one of them.
IP Logged
debz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

doctortansy   doctortansy

« Reply #7 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:47pm »

Interesting to hear about the sweating thing. I don't remember that from my last cycle, but it was so long ago, who knows. But it has been a big symptom for me this time round... hmm, so it's common, good to know.  

I too get the queasiness, my right (CH side) ear hurts as well, and my right half of my head is just "twingey" all the time. I also noticed how weird I look and feel, but I thought it might be the prednisone (+10 lbs in 10 days!).  

Ginger ale can also help with upset tummy.

Take good care,  
Debbie

IP Logged

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased; thus do we refute the law of entropy. -- Spider Robinson
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:02pm »

When having an attack, or maybe just prior, especially when I get hit during the night while asleep, my temperature SKYROCKETS!! It can be a somewhat cool temperature in the house, and I will be kicking off the bedclothes and saying, "GOD, is it HOT in here!! I'm burning UP!!" And almost immediately, BANG! I get nailed with a cluster headache. My other symptoms, aside from the pain in my right eye: My eyelid hangs at half-mast and the eyeball gets BLOOD RED, and my nostril on the affected side feels like it's totally occluded, but way back in the sinus cavity. I don't get the teary eye or a runny nose at all.  

By far, the WORST symptom, is when the pain begins to creep down the back of my neck on the right side, and also begins to move down my temple and into my molars and jaw. THOSE are the ones that are a Kip-10 for me. Fortunately, those only come rarely in a cycle.

-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 1:08am »

Not only do I feel queezy, I vomit everytime I go above a kip 5.  I cant help myself.  I become very very hot and very dizzy.  Along with the pain my body just cant take it and I  hurl.  Usually after that my temperature goes back to normal and Im cold as ice.  Also, the headache usually goes away within 15 min of my "toilet dance."  Ive tryed to make myself vomit to abort a CH, but that didnt work and I ended up throwing up twice   Huh.  Im not normal and neither is my CH Grin.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
West88

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 2:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi
 I started sweating this cycle. This is new to me. Also sick to my stomache this time, which is new. Had a K-10 last night, didn't know if I needed to puke or crap, thought for sure I would die. I wanted to die, so I sat like an indian chief and waited for the light. My eye got so fu**ing hot that it began to feel like a minty cold, then I instantly switched from pain to my whole freakin head fealing like it was in static electricity. Next thing I woke up four hours later feeling fine. I almost laugh when I think about it.  
 Anywho, after about 15 years, sweating and sick is new to me.

Hang in there

West
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss