Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 8:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin and Vitamin Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin and Vitamin Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin and Vitamin Question  (Read 250 times)
JohnWF
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Melatonin and Vitamin Question
« on: Feb 13th, 2005, 12:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello:

I used Melatonin with some success to help end my cycle last Fall.

I'm wondering, does anyone use say one 3 mg. pill (as maintenance), while you're out of cycle to keep a new cycle from starting.  If so, how succesfully?

Also, would anyone recommend specifically what B Vitamins should a person take.  I've read about the B Complex, but some talk about B12 and others B2.  Maybe, I should take some of everything???

I'm just thinking ahead-- trying to keep the "beast at bay."

Thanks for any support you can offer.

Sincerely,

John
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

Re: Melatonin and Vitamin Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 1:47pm »

I don't know... I take a multi-vitamin anyway, just for general maintenance.

IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 1:47pm »

Several years ago I found one reference to vitamin B-2, 400mg as possibly effective for cluster.

Have seen nothing since and a quick check on PubMed a moment ago produced zip.

Have seen nothing about using melatonin constantly to prevent but I recently posted a medical report wherein headache docs said that there was some evidence that the effectiveness of some preventives was reduced over time. It's an open question at this point.

Personally, I'd be inclined to not use preventives once a cycle was over--but can't offer any firm evidence to support this notion.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 5:00pm »

I would only take the melatonin at the very first signs of cluster activity--not when in remission.  I take vitamin B-Complex 50mg X 3 a day plus a regular multi vitamin every day.

I used to have a whole regiment of suppliments, vitamins, etc., but avoid most of them now because of the "alternative" therapy (which have worked wonders with me).  

Floridian has discovered Kudzu recently which has shown promise with some people.  You might want to investivate the Kudzu links for future use.

Good luck on your magic bullet!! Grin

John
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 8:48pm »

As the only woman respondant so far ... Melatonin has very successfully helped me during cycle (9mg/night).  It also helps me at 3mg/night when not in cycle - for menopausal insomnia.

I've taken it for about 4 years now - low dose most of the time - high dose during cycle - with no bad effects or lessening of effectiveness.  

But that's just me.    

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 8:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I take a multi-B supplement --- I split the "50 mg" multi and take half each day.  

Here are some articles that just scratch the surface - the various B vitamins can improve serotonin, 5-HTP and melatonin levels, prevent migraine (?maybe clusters?), lower cholesterol and high blood pressure, etc etc.  

Quote:

Pyridoxine, regardless of serotonin levels, increases production of 5-hydroxytryptophan in rat brain.
Arch Med Res. 2004 Jul-Aug;35(4):271-4.
PMID: 15325498 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Percept Mot Skills. 2002 Feb;94(1):135-40.  
Effects of pyridoxine on dreaming: a preliminary study.    Ebben M, Lequerica A, Spielman A.  (increases cortical arousal / dreams in REM sleep).  

J Nutr. 2002 Sep;132(9):2781-4.   Folate deficiency alters (lowers) melatonin secretion in rats.   Fournier I, Ploye F, Cottet-Emard JM, Brun J, Claustrat B.

Nutr J. 2005 Jan 26;4(1):3.  The treatment of migraines and tension-type headaches with intravenous and oral niacin (nicotinic acid): systematic review of the literature.
Prousky J, Seely D.

Mayo Clin Proc. 2003 Jun;78(6):770-1.  Sustained-release niacin for prevention of migraine headache.  Velling DA, Dodick DW, Muir JJ.

I'm not a fan of sustained release niacin - it is associated with more problems (elevated liver enzymes) than regular niacin, and the high doses used for cholesterol control (500 - 2000 mg/ day) are risky.  But 25 to 50 mg a day are safe for most people - a brief skin 'flush' with tingling and itching is the most common side effect.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss