Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « desensitizing histamine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   desensitizing histamine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: desensitizing histamine  (Read 275 times)
hubbydo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

desensitizing histamine
« on: Feb 18th, 2005, 3:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My hubby has clusters and cluster/migraines.  He has just started another cycle--last one about 5 years ago when he had histamine treatment at headache clinic.  Anyone out there have this treatment?  We knew we may have to do it again--but it is so scary!!  Do we wait and see if all of the meds will work, or go get the treatment before we have to be admitted to have it through the emergency room?
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: desensitizing histamine
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:01pm »

Hi - what exactly was the histamine treatment he received?  Do you remember what kind of drugs they gave him?  Was it DHE?

There's a lot of newer research out there now that means most clusterheads don't ever see the inside of the emergency room.  Oxygen is being prescribed as an abortive for each individual attack and it has a pretty high success rate with little side effect.  Imitrex is another popular abortive.

As well, there are a number of preventative drugs - verapamil, lithium, etc.  Lots of information here in the buttons to the left.  Feel free to print it out and take it to your doctor.

And, for what it's worth, there really is no such thing as cluster/migraines.  They are either cluster or migraine.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
hubbydo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:56pm »

My hubby goes to the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago.  He uses Imitrex(injection) for migraines, and when the migraine goes into a cluster cycle, we use vistiril (sp)(injection) and get ourselves to clinic PDQ.  He then gets a series of shots:  torodol, more vistiril, and some kind of high powered steroid.  We go home with a dexamethasone packet, 500 mg of depekote, verapamil, and indocin.  The histamine desensitization is a 22 bag intravenous drip that will desensitize the build up the histamines in the back of the eye.  When My hubby had the treatment--he was a new man in a few days!!  The treatment lasts 11 days.  We were admitted into inpatient as my hubby was base lining in a migraine, and would go into the cluster, only to go back to the migraine--thus the migraine/cluster diagnosis.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 7:24pm »

One of our members unsolved has had it done. If he's around now, I'm sure he'll reply to this. Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 8:28pm »

If I was independenty wealthy and could choose whatever treatment I wanted without regard to cost the Histamine treatment would be among the last.  
Mind you i'm not talking from experience and I know that most would pay any price for relief but there is so much more available.  
The first step is to educate yourself and your doctor
Try the 02, take a look at www. clusterbusters.com. The latest success story involves Kudzu.
At 12 - 50 k for the histamine you've got allot of room to manuever.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 11:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've done this a few times now. It's 21 bags and it worked great the first 2 times. I got about 5 weeks Pain Free each time. Since then, it don't work too well. Just did a total of 45 bags in a months time... Still having random clusters. Today was first day PF !!

Fingers are crossed

Unsolved

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss