Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Head trauma »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Head trauma
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Head trauma  (Read 391 times)
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

Head trauma
« on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know lots of Ch sufferers never had a head trauma.  

Do those of you who had think it started your CH s off.  

I definitely think my head traumas did something which caused some pressure which in turn set the hypothalmus on an unpredictable, unbalanced and untimed melatonin hunt and destroy. I've always had bad headaches. I have also put my head in the way of some big impacts.    

I am still able to feel the site and size of the biggest injury 25 years on.  

My Chs run right through it and I still have electrical sensations on the right side of my head. Drs always ask if I was knocked out on that one. When I say no, they discount the possibility of an injury.  

Ellick
IP Logged

ET
kopfschmerz

Email

Re: Head trauma
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've found no correlation between head trauma and cluster headaches.  I had a traumatic head injury at age 13 and had a bullet graze the top of my head at age 27 but no after-effects from either.  I got my first cluster at age 30 and my next attack 8 years later, so for me there is no correlation and I've found none in the literature.
IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 1:14pm »

Had a few falls with head injuries as a toddler....
and an electrical accident from a carnival ride....

but never "suffered"  

until this monster sidetracked my life at age 28.....

All MRI's say I do have a brain....
and no trouble using it once in a while....wink.

Some doctors are thinking our hypo..thing
was larger at birth....  

surprise....

we are defective....

like that is a shock.....

Smiley
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 2:31pm »

An osteopath told me that one of my injuries had created a calus effect underneath my skull which would sometimes affect the way my brain had to work. At that time I was experiencing very bad headaches and visual disturbance in one eye with some loss of balance. The neurologist told me I had migraine , the osteopath fixed it in 20 minutes. He told me to take care that I had adequate rest and kept healthy and that the problems may reocur from time totime. Sinus problems came later but only after a stereotypical Ch attack which alternated sides during  hits.  Allergy related problems have always been around.

IP Logged

ET
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 4:53pm »

Headache. 1992 Nov;32(10):504-6.

Cluster headache following head injury: a case report and review of the literature.

Turkewitz LJ, Wirth O, Dawson GA, Casaly JS.

Midwest Center for Head-Pain Management, Troy, Ohio 45373.

A relation between head trauma and cluster headache is frequently described in the literature. The percentage of cluster patients with a history of head injury is approximately 16.5 when several large studies are reviewed. The present paper reports another case where there is close proximity between head injury and the onset of cluster headache. A review of the literature attempts to document the supposition that there is indeed a causal or precipitous role for head injury in cluster cephalgia pathogenesis.

Publication Types:  
Case Reports  
Review  
Review of Reported Cases  

PMID: 1468909 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:17pm »

on Feb 26th, 2005, 12:34pm, Ellick wrote:
I have also put my head in the way of some big impacts.    

I would stop doing that...
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 2:56am »

I've never in my life ever had any kind of head injury yet I've suffered clusters for about 30 years now.

I think if someone had head trauma so bad that the hypothalmus was injured then they probably had enough damage to the brain that they could not be able to read what is written here.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 7:45am »

on Feb 27th, 2005, 2:56am, BobG wrote:
I've never in my life ever had any kind of head injury yet I've suffered clusters for about 30 years now.

I think if someone had head trauma so bad that the hypothalmus was injured then they probably had enough damage to the brain that they could not be able to read what is written here.

Brain injury is not The Cause of cluster headache, but it increases the risk. One Italian study (below) found that the only 3 perceived risk factors that stood up to statistical analysis were brain trauma, smoking, and family history.  How these factors increase the risk is not clear.  Other factors may be important and may show up in studies that are larges or designed differently, but brain trauma does seem important.  

Boxers commonly develop parkinson-like problems, and it takes years to become apparent, even longer to become disabling.  Even with the padded gloves, the punches rattles and bruises the brain.  And over time, that damage plus aging causes problems.  

Emotional depression is a recognized consequence of traumatic brain injury - more than half of people with serious brain injuries go on to develop depression, and it is not  'I'm so sorry for myself I am depressed' - its a 'my brain is glitching in the regions that control emotion.'  

Quote:
Neuroepidemiology. 1995;14(3):123-7.  

Case-control study on the epidemiology of cluster headache. I: Etiological factors and associated conditions. Italian Cooperative Study Group on the Epidemiology of Cluster Headache (ICECH).

[No authors listed]

The etiological and physiopathological mechanisms of cluster headache (CH) are still largely unknown. The majority of the studies published on the possible risk factors and conditions associated with CH rely on either anecdotal observations or generalizations and have not been supported by serious epidemiological investigations. The aim of this case-control study was to evaluate the real association of life habits and general risk factors with CH. CH was associated only with cigarette smoking, head trauma and a positive family history for headache. Further epidemiologic studies are probably necessary in order to find clues to CH etiology.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2005, 7:46am by floridian » IP Logged
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 7:57am »

on Feb 26th, 2005, 8:17pm, kissmyglass wrote:

I would stop doing that...

Have tried but the more you get hit the harder it becomes.
IP Logged

ET
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 8:18am »

on Feb 27th, 2005, 7:45am, floridian wrote:

One Italian study (below) found that the only 3 perceived risk factors that stood up to statistical analysis were brain trauma, smoking, and family history.  

I have my doubts about the Italians.  

Brain trauma..we already talked about that.

Smoking....a habit, an addiction. I think the hypothalmus has something to do with addictions. The Italians my have thought that because more cluster sufferers smoke than the general population there may be a connection. I don't think that is true. I think, after reading this board for 5 years, that clusterheads have more addictions than the general population. And not just addictions to the 'sin' addictions - smoking, drinking, gambling. How many are addicted to their daily routine? How many are addicted to coming to this board every day? How many are addicted to over eating? This could go on and on.

Family history......I can't go along with either. No one, that I have ever heard of, on either side of my family has serious headaches such as migraines or clusters except me. Yes, there are some folks with more than one clusterhead in a family but it is rare.

This is only my opinion. I am not a doctor nor Italian.
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 8:58am »

on Feb 27th, 2005, 8:18am, BobG wrote:

This is only my opinion. I am not a doctor nor Italian.

Smiley  Some of my best friends are doctors, others are Italian.  

There's the eternal problem of figuring out what is causation and what is just correlation.  But I think those 3 factors are more than correlated.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2005, 9:00am by floridian » IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 9:23am »

on Feb 27th, 2005, 8:58am, floridian wrote:

LMAO.  laugh
IP Logged

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 10:23am »

on Feb 27th, 2005, 8:58am, floridian wrote:

*chuckle*
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 3:36am »

Well... I have fell down and hurt my head for a while at least twice. Does that count as head trauma? Huh
if it does, they took place years before CH started so I find it hard to link those two.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:03am »

Nothing posted here claims that all cluster arises from head trauma. The previous abstract and this one say: Some cases of cluster can develop from head trauma. "Multiple causation" is common to many medical disorders.

This is one of the realities which makes it so difficult to both understand clusters and to find a cure.
---
 Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2004 Apr;8(2):133-9.  

Cluster headache mimics.

Carter DM.

This article discusses cluster headache and a variety of cluster mimics, with the intention of aiding the practitioner in differentiating between primary cluster headache and secondary forms of cluster. Secondary causes of cluster headache include infections, tumors, vascular abnormalities, and head trauma. In addition, other trigeminal autonomic cephalgias occasionally can be difficult to distinguish from primary cluster headache.

Publication Types:  
Review  
Review, Tutorial  

PMID: 14980148 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 1:19pm »

on Feb 28th, 2005, 9:03am, Bob_Johnson wrote:
Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2004 Apr;8(2):133-9.  

Cluster headache mimics.

Carter DM.

This article discusses cluster headache and a variety of cluster mimics, with the intention of aiding the practitioner in differentiating between primary cluster headache and secondary forms of cluster. Secondary causes of cluster headache include infections, tumors, vascular abnormalities, and head trauma. In addition, other trigeminal autonomic cephalgias occasionally can be difficult to distinguish from primary cluster headache.

That looks interesting...but not $25 interesting.  Anyone have full text?

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 1:45pm »

I have had a severe brain trauma injury being run over by a car and dragged which resulted in having my scalp reattached. Later tests showed a variety of abnormalities during EEG as a teenager. One doctor said "I was accident prone", and refused to treat me. I do get severe tension in upper back and neck possibly caused by lifting injury to area in muscle behind my heart which more times than not is present during onset..... and after lydocaine injection into muscle area EKG passed after showing failing valve pre injection. I know it sounds wacky, but it was thier electronics. Also diagnosed with RLS. Finally was given SSDI for mental reasons....duh. I was able to read Bob's note SmileyLOL
Many questions...not many answers. Thanks for helping with perspectives. Praying for all to be healed sooner before later
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss