Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Computer Screens and CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Computer Screens and CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computer Screens and CH  (Read 573 times)
Limey
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Computer Screens and CH
« on: Jul 16th, 2005, 1:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone here find that staring too long at a PC screen, especially late at night can cause a bad CH later on in the night. It's happened to me a few times, especially when I do it long past my usual bedtime and especially when I'm beating tiredness to get something completed. I'd be intersted to see if it happens to others?
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Computer Screens and CH
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 1:43pm »

Actually I think that getting to a computer screen and focusing on something helps me get through attacks much faster.

TOm
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 2:56pm »

Lips Sealed

don't say it.

You know I had to give up temping at a bank
because their computers were so old the screen
refreshed itself too slowly...

the flashing lights from their screens were cuasing severe headaches.

and I couldn't wait in line att he copier because if
the person ahead of me didn't hold the lid down tightly
enough, the lights from that would cause a ch within a half hour.

i cannot even drive on really sunny days
without having trouble later

AVOID flashing lights, sunlight all lights = baaad

I feel like the little Pet "Gizmo" from Gremlins.
"ahhhhh bright light, brightlight....noooooo"

Maybe having other lights on, reduces the glare
and flashing form the computer.  Definitely avoid movies and games.  Do more researching and chatting...
wink....

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Limey
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 4:06pm »

Crikey, I think Burnt-Toast must have very mild attacks as I can't even open my eye to focus on anything if I'm actually in the middle of an attack and I know from others posts I'm not alone. I'ver certainly noticed a lot of my KIP 10's are a few hours after a late night on the PC but it could possibly be coincidence. As for what I do in the middle of an attack the only thing I'm capable of is thumping the sofa with my eyes shut.
IP Logged
hdido

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 4:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I often get bad hits after using a computer; I can be looking at the screen for up to an hour without any problems and then as soon as I stop, WHAM.  Other times I cannot use the screen for more than 5 minutes or so, particularly if I am having an attack when I start.  Can't figure out the reasons for this.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 5:05pm »

on Jul 16th, 2005, 4:06pm, Limey wrote:
Crikey, I think Burnt-Toast must have very mild attacks as I can't even open my eye to focus on anything if I'm actually in the middle of an attack and I know from others posts I'm not alone. I'ver certainly noticed a lot of my KIP 10's are a few hours after a late night on the PC but it could possibly be coincidence. As for what I do in the middle of an attack the only thing I'm capable of is thumping the sofa with my eyes shut.

I wish I could make what you think my reality.  During attacks I'm either movin' or focusin' on anything that will help me make em' go away.  When I was unresponsive to Abortives, my second neuro gave me a light to stare into (focus on) - eventually I started using my PC monitor for the same purpose.  Believe what you want but Spider Solitar helps by forcing me focus and concentrate on a lighted object.  Its not easy but it helps by either shortening the duration or maybe  forcing me to not concentrate on attacks.  

Outside of the usual grimace - I am unable to close my eyes at any time during attacks.  Paper towels take care of nose and eye drainage and hot cups of tea washed over my upper right teeth and gums somehow helps me get through em'

Tom          
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2005, 1:12am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Ueli

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 9:34pm »

Get a TFT monitor. They don't flicker like a CRT.   Cheesy
IP Logged
duerrs
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 5:19am »

i thought of the computer screen theory but dismissed it cause my attack are only for 6 weeks give or take a week, i'm pain free for 10 to 12 months after that.  I would think that if the computer screens were to blame, my attacks would be chronic. I'm not a doctor so what do i know, then again, what do they know either
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 7:18am »

By the way - I am staring into a 19" flat plasma monitor.  Maybe Ueli hit of something - the type of screen may make a difference - just sittng here and realizing that this screen looks like something backlit by a bright but soft white light.

Tom
IP Logged

maffumatt

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 4:40pm »

my O2 is set up by the computer, its a ritual for me to log on as I am getting hit, unless its a 9 or 10. I look at the posts and for some sick selfish reason I find comfort knowing I am not alone.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 4:59pm »

Mike's o2 is by the computer too, in the cool basement.  He never used to be able to be near the computer but we have a newer screen now too.  Ueli's most likely right about the flickering.  No way could Mike sit at the old computer during an attack.  Once he's hooked up to the oxygen, he opens up Freecell and tries to get through a game.  I think it has a lot to do with just forcing himself to stay calm through the attack.  Freecell is just glorified solitaire, not exactly rocket science stuff that really involves a lot of concentration.  Redirecting his mind from the pain, though, as Tom says in his posts here.  I think there's a lot to that.  Damn tough to do though, I know.

There are still times, though, if o2 doesn't abort for him that he pushes himself away from the computer and just sits as quiet as he can and slowly rocks back and forth until it passes.  For Mike, it's all about staying as calm as possible during attacks.  HUGE in his defense plan.  Toughest lesson to learn too.  
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2005, 5:02pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 9:13pm »

Fluorescent lighting can also be a problem for some. I would move to a LCD screen. The prices have gone down greatly. Squnting may be a possible trigger. I usually don't get hit during the day but did get a bad one when I was at the beach.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #12 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 12:17am »

I'd been PF for ages and one evening I was watching a TV program about Chaos Theory.  At one stage they showed some whizz-bang computer imagery and it was like plunging through a muti-coloured cosmos and twisting slightly at the same time.

Whammo!!  Straight out nowhere there's a kip9,  lasted all of ten minutes,  then PF again for months.

The identical thing happened some years later.  Bright sunlit day and I was looking at a film of oil swirling in some water.  Woompa!  Gotcha again!!

Ah, well.  There's no accounting for the beast.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 9:02am »

on Jul 19th, 2005, 12:17am, AussieBrian wrote:

Ah, well.  There's no accounting for the beast.

Well put!  

The more I read the more I realize how much this nightmare likes to mix things up.

Catching and holding a greased pig is no easy task.

Tom  

IP Logged

ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 10:28am »

I sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day five days a week.

I don't think I've ever been triggered by it but CH is a weird beast and does things differently with everybody.
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 5:03pm »

it is pretty rare, but when i am already tired late at night, the computer screen seems to induce a CH.  I use a flat panel at work, and they say that gives off much less harmful light than a regular CRT monitor, but i have a 19in CRT at home.  Definately when i get attacked I can not look at the computer screen.  Even if I could, i couldnt focus on the text or whatever.
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Limey
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #16 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 4:11pm »

A slight mis-understanding! A couple of you saying that you often use a computer without probs and that accounts for me too. I wasn't suggesting that PC screens 'cause' CH's but that they can trigger them whilst already in a cycle or make a looming CH much worse than it would have been if I'd stayed off the computer. They certainly seem to mke a bad night worse.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 4:59am »

Hi Limey,
I can't say I've ever had problems with the PC but I use either a laptop or a tft screen at home now and as the others say it does help. I also find games such as spider solitaire "help"..
But if I try to watch TV.. yikes now THAT is a different story! TV can and does send me right off the edge of the sofa sometimes (not all the time I hasten to add)
One thing I do know though is that TV's in the US are different to here though (no I'm not being silly everyone!!  Roll Eyes ) They use a different amount of lines per screen or something like that as I found it very difficult to look at the telly at all when in the US.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 5:42am »

Here is maybe something that can shed a bit of "light" on some of us clusterheads' heads.  This may be relevant although this is for epilepsy.  Some of us have used epilepsy meds, some are diabetic, some have epilepsy and ch and some of us have family histories of either diabetics or epilepsy.

http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/pages/info/leaflets/photo.cfm

Amazing how many clusterheads play solitaire or spider solitaire!!! Shocked Grin

Here is another alternative solitaire game that's just as addictive:

http://www.popcap.com/launchpage.php?theGame=ningpo&src=gamestack

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
floridian

Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 5:46pm »

When I go around trouble-shooting on other people's computers, I am often amazed at the flicker. And ordinary mortals don't seem to see it - their brains operate at a lower frequency!!  Most newer monitors can have the refresh rate bumped upwards - 65 cycles per second is brutal on my brain, but 85 Herz is ok.  

To increase the refresh rate:  
Right click on the desktop, choose 'properties' and then 'settings.'  There is an 'advanced' button near the bottom of the settings page. Click advanced, then choose the  'monitor' tab.  Push the refresh rate as high as that puppy will go. You might have to reduce the color depth, depending on your hardware, but unless you are looking at photos, this probably doesn't matter (ordinary programs work fine on a simpler color palette).    

Hope it helps someone.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2005, 5:49pm by floridian » IP Logged
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 8:13pm »

When I was chronic,  I noticed that looking at any illuminated screen was bothersome (television or computer).  I can't say if it ever provoked an attack but looking at them did cause discomfort.
IP Logged

Susan
aradon
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Gotta be prepared, to wrestle with the devil :(

WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:53pm »

Ive found that computer screens bear no effect on how my attacks happen, i even cut out computers for 3 months (before, during and after "time"Wink and still they came, was pleasantly relieved that it wasnt the computers as i work on them but gutted had to cross of another potential trigger Sad
IP Logged

Life is Pleasant, Death is Peaceful, It's the Transition that's Troublesome.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss