Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re Oxeygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re Oxeygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re Oxeygen  (Read 361 times)
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

Re Oxeygen
« on: Jul 21st, 2005, 8:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried different types of masks for O2 ? My partner has suggested a "on demand" type non rebreather mask which would reduce the waste of excess oxygen that must happen using a heavy flow rate type.
Cheers,
Jacqs
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Re Oxeygen
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 11:00pm »

Jacqs,  The word here is that it must be the re-breather mask.  There's a pic of it somewhere, I think on the oxy link to the left, but it's the one with the bag attached.

Never used one myself but always had great success the the ordinary job by using it at very low pressure, holding finger and thumb over the little holes, and inhaling slowly through my nose.

You can actually feel the oxygen going in as it's slightly cooler than air temp.  Also forces you to relax that bit.

Either way, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers and beers,

Brian.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 11:41pm »

on Jul 21st, 2005, 8:57pm, Kiwiinoz58 wrote:
Has anyone tried different types of masks for O2 ? My partner has suggested a "on demand" type non rebreather mask which would reduce the waste of excess oxygen that must happen using a heavy flow rate type.
Cheers,
Jacqs

Do you mean a pressure demand valve mask?, it only gives oxygen when you inhale, and uses the same mask which would be used on a BVM, the one with an inflatable air cushion on it.  It actually works quite well, but it requires a regulator with a DISS port on it, and it tends to drain down a small tank rather quickly as it will give up to 40 lpm when you inhale.  This type of setup is the only kind which will deliver 100% o2 concentration as any other type of mask tends to dilute the o2 with air before it is inhaled.  Hope this answers your question.......
IP Logged
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:08am »

Thanks for the help Cheesy
Cheers,
Jacqs
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
ben_uk
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

100%O2

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 2:58am »

Mcf69 wrote:-

“This type of setup is the only kind which will deliver 100% o2 concentration as any other type of mask tends to dilute the o2 with air before it is inhaled.”

Except this:-
   http://www.clustermasx.com/

Shocked
IP Logged

www.clustermasx.com

Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 3:31am »

Thanks mcf,
I'm endevouring to find somewhere here in Oz that has them.
Cheers Cheesy
IP Logged

ben_uk
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

100%O2

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 4:49am »

For Demand valve rigs I can recogmend these guys:-

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/international.asp#DAN%20South east%20Asia-Pacific  
DAN Southeast Asia-Pacific (SEAP)  
Australia and New Zealand, with regional IDAN responsibility for Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Vanuatu, India, Solomon Islands, Brunei, Thailand, Hong Kong, Korea, China and Taiwan.  
P.O. Box 384
Ashburton, Victoria 3147
AUSTRALIA  
61-3-9886-9166
61-3-9886-9155 fax

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/international.asp#DAN%20Ameri ca  
DAN America (International Headquarters)  
United States and Canada, with regional IDAN responsibility for Central and South America, the Caribbean, Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia (except Fiji), and any other area not designated below.  
The Peter B Bennett Center
6 West Colony Place
Durham, NC 27705-5588
USA  
1-800-446-2671 Toll-Free
1-919-684-2948 General Inquiries
1-919-490-6630 Fax
1-919-493-3040 Medical Fax  
  http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/index.asp  
 http://www.daneurope.org/main.htm  

Shocked
IP Logged

www.clustermasx.com

Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:26pm »

Thanks heaps Ben I'll look into it.

Cheers  Cheesy
jacqs
IP Logged

ben_uk
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

100%O2

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 1:47am »

Just a couple of points to consider:-

Here in the UK our domiciliary O2 cylinders come with a “Bull nose” screw thread coupling (O ring seal).
Demand valve set ups usually come with a “Pin indexed” coupling (Bodoc seal) so we have to use a “Bull nose to pin index connector” (sometimes known as a “block”)

Demand rigs don’t work well when the pressure in the cylinder is getting low. If you can spend a little extra and get a “duel use” set up – Demand and free flow(free flow port usually a “Probe” coupling). This will give you a choice, which is nice and also allow you to drain ever drop of O2 from your cylinders.

Shocked

IP Logged

www.clustermasx.com

don

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 7:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

IP Logged
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 6:56am »

Hi Jacqs,

My wife got one (non rebreather as in prelious posts picture) from Wyong Hopsital. Try your local one, if you know anyone there it shouldn't be to hard get.

I couldn't find anyone on the central coast who sold them, so she went up to the hospital and asked.

Paul
IP Logged
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 6:47pm »

Thanks Paul,

I am now just waiting to try the O2 to see if it works before I buy anything to have at home. It has taken so long to organise it while in dreadful pain but now as luck would have it I've only had shadows this past few days. So as soon as I need it I'll give it a go and if successful then I'd get all the stuff I need. Thanks again,
Cheers,
Jacqs
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss