Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Full Moon »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Full Moon
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Full Moon  (Read 420 times)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Full Moon
« on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone else see their CH attacks turn up the heat during a Full Moon?  

Or do I turn into a Ware-Wimp when the moon is full?    

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
giffy76
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me Imitrex or give me death.

Re: Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:52am »

It's never occured to me, I'll have to pay attention next cycle, but I'm guessing you'r a ware-wimp. LOL
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:55am »

no, but my hair and nails seem to grow more...
 Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:05pm »

Smiley
well, it's not that far out there.

Moon has effect on oceanic tides and weather,
and on hormones.

why not on us chers too.

just wish there were a cure,
a vacciene....sopemthing
to short circuit the darn dance.

best wishes
 Undecided
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:08pm »

I used to be a were-wolf but I'm alright now-oooooooooo.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Ueli

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 1:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Apart from mystical reasons (like the 5000 year old superstition of astrological nonsense) there are two conceivable causes how the moon could influence things on earth:

A) Gravitational forces. They are causing the tides. Plants living in tidal waters are strongly influenced by the height of water that absorbs more or less of the needed sunlight. But do the gravitational forces influence things on land? I don't believe in this. The variations of the weight (as measured by spring loaded scales) is extremely small, only about 4 ppm (parts per million). (See below for details). I don't thinks the Kudzu vines grow much faster when the moon is high in the sky.
The tidal range in the open ocean is about 1 meter, a lot of water moving up and down. How is this consistent with small forces mentioned above? For two reasons: 1) The mass of all the ocean water is really huge, resulting in huge forces too. 2) A resonance phenomenon, a rhythmic, relatively small disturbance gives rise to a large oscillation.

B) Light. The full moon is quite bright (but its illumination is not sufficient to read the papers, try it out). But moonlight does never the less influence some living things. Burglars prefer moon light, while the common earthworm prefers complete darkness for his mating, it never comes out for this in bright moon light.
It is well know that light is crucial to synchronize our circadian clock. But since most of us spend a large time fraction under artificial lightning, the natural daylight cycle has lost its importance and the small additional light of the full moon is hardly noticed by a TV watcher (I bet, few of the readers can tell the moon phase we have at the moment).  
So I can't see how the moon could influence hormones (unless you are an outdoor night watchman).  
The moon influences the weather only in fairy tales.

Appendix about some statistics

From a recent study done here on data from police, insurance companies, meteorologists:
Accidents and violent behaviour are strongly correlated to the days of the week, but not at all to the moon phase. Weather data, like temperature, clouds, rain, wind speed and direction, show no correlation at all to the moon cycle.

Appendix for number crunchers

The gravitational law
F = G * m1 * m2 / r2
gives the force F between 2 bodies of mass m1 and m2, separated by the distance r. G is the gravitational constant.

Let
m1 = 1000 kg     a test mass of 1 ton (a small car, an elevator cabin with 10 people)
m2 = 7.349 * 1022 kg     mass of the moon
r = 3.633 * 108 m     distance earth - moon at perigee (closest approach, when tidal forces are largest)
G = 6.673 * 10-11     gravitational constant, measured in  N * m2 kg-2

Inserting these number into the formula gives
F = 0.0365 Newton
That is, tidal forces on a test mass of 1 ton is equivalent to the weight of 3.7 g (a penny or two), or a variation of 3.7 ppm (parts per million).

PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin          smokin          smokin          smokin

IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 2:06am »

LMMFAO....Ueli  Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 6:00am »

on Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:55am, vig wrote:
no, but my hair and nails seem to grow more...
 Grin

Grin

I haven't noticed anything. But I'm a chronic (PF at the moment though) so the pain was there no matter in what position the moon was.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 10:04pm »

I've never noticed a correlation.
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 10:27am »

on Jul 24th, 2005, 1:55am, Ueli wrote:

From a recent study done here on data from police, insurance companies, meteorologists:
Accidents and violent behaviour are strongly correlated to the days of the week, but not at all to the moon phase. Weather data, like temperature, clouds, rain, wind speed and direction, show no correlation at all to the moon cycle.  

The weather is also more strongly correlated to day of the week - more rain on weekends!! Particulate matter from Industry builds ups through the week, reaching a high point on friday/saturday.  These particulates can act as seed for initiating raindrop formation.  Around big industrial cities, there is more rain on the (dirtier) down-wind side, and more later in the week.  

Moonlight is unlikely to have an effect on modern man - fire and electric light at night is thousands of times more powerful than moonlight.  But the weekend effect is real for many people - change in stress, sleep, diet, alcohol and other factors.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2005, 10:31am by floridian » IP Logged
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 7:03am »

didn't notice any change.

But I howl a lot.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 7:19am »

OK, OK - I'd threaten to start a ware-wimp splinter group but I'd have to be the only member.  ohjez

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 7:25am »

on Jul 24th, 2005, 1:55am, Ueli wrote:
Apart from mystical reasons (like the 5000 year old superstition of astrological nonsense) there are two conceivable causes how the moon could influence things on earth:

A) Gravitational forces. They are causing the tides. Plants living in tidal waters are strongly influenced by the height of water that absorbs more or less of the needed sunlight. But do the gravitational forces influence things on land? I don't believe in this. The variations of the weight (as measured by spring loaded scales) is extremely small, only about 4 ppm (parts per million). (See below for details). I don't thinks the Kudzu vines grow much faster when the moon is high in the sky.
The tidal range in the open ocean is about 1 meter, a lot of water moving up and down. How is this consistent with small forces mentioned above? For two reasons: 1) The mass of all the ocean water is really huge, resulting in huge forces too. 2) A resonance phenomenon, a rhythmic, relatively small disturbance gives rise to a large oscillation.

B) Light. The full moon is quite bright (but its illumination is not sufficient to read the papers, try it out). But moonlight does never the less influence some living things. Burglars prefer moon light, while the common earthworm prefers complete darkness for his mating, it never comes out for this in bright moon light.
It is well know that light is crucial to synchronize our circadian clock. But since most of us spend a large time fraction under artificial lightning, the natural daylight cycle has lost its importance and the small additional light of the full moon is hardly noticed by a TV watcher (I bet, few of the readers can tell the moon phase we have at the moment).  
So I can't see how the moon could influence hormones (unless you are an outdoor night watchman).  
The moon influences the weather only in fairy tales.

Appendix about some statistics

Appendix for number crunchers

The gravitational law
F = G * m1 * m2 / r2
gives the force F between 2 bodies of mass m1 and m2, separated by the distance r. G is the gravitational constant.

Let
m1 = 1000 kg     a test mass of 1 ton (a small car, an elevator cabin with 10 people)
m2 = 7.349 * 1022 kg     mass of the moon
r = 3.633 * 108 m     distance earth - moon at perigee (closest approach, when tidal forces are largest)
G = 6.673 * 10-11     gravitational constant, measured in  N * m2 kg-2

Inserting these number into the formula gives
F = 0.0365 Newton
That is, tidal forces on a test mass of 1 ton is equivalent to the weight of 3.7 g (a penny or two), or a variation of 3.7 ppm (parts per million).

PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin          smokin          smokin          smokin

Ueli is in a good mood here   laugh laugh

Best reply i have seen here in ages

Svenn crackup
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 9:21pm »

Everyone seems to have misunderstood my post, this was the moonwiggle I was referring to.  Since I've gotten older every time I sneak a look when I undress in front of a mirror I get a real bad Head Ache.
Sorry for the confusion.  It will never happen again.  ohjez.  Anyone else have this problem?  

Tom
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005, 9:22pm by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 1:18am »

Tom, just to trow my penny in with the farthings.  Over the 14 years I've never skipped an astronomical Ch attack when it was full moon.  (not that I don't have attacks during other times)  

But then in my defence to Ueli's very unemotional and utterly down to earth logic (when he's apparently in a GOOD mood) I'm not a night watchman, but a woman.  I watch the skies at night, are aware of the cycles as I farm and cut my hair and nails accordingly.  My neighbours do ancient African rituals on these occations and I sometimes join in.  This is triats that was passed down from my ancestors here in Africa.  By the way because I do not live in a city but hell and gone in rural Africa, the moon and stars are very bright and clear.

To modern man (Ueli) it will make no logical sense that what we do in our primitive loincloths may make very good sense to us and have worked quite well for us over the past few hundred years.  This has to do with our closeness to the earth and all living things and the influence of the moon, definitely nothing to do with our  moonwiggle!

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 11:09am »

Whheww - I thought it was just me - maybe living remote and away from artifical light has something to do with it.  Our house is tucked away in several hundred acres of woods.  Thanks.

Tom  

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2005, 11:10am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 5:58pm »

Don't seem to be a correlation for my CH during a full moon...................however a waxing full moon is good for fishing Wink!
IP Logged
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 8:31pm »

Aha now I underdstand why I get these CH's, I'm not waxing at the correct phase of the moon Grin

Jacqs
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss