Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « REM sleep and wake up clusters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   REM sleep and wake up clusters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: REM sleep and wake up clusters  (Read 664 times)
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

REM sleep and wake up clusters
« on: Jul 24th, 2005, 12:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is REM sleep a trigger?  I always get the wake up migraines in the middle of my REM cycle.
Anybody know much about it?
Thank You,
Vi
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: REM sleep and wake up clusters
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 1:31pm »

From some of what I have read CH occurs during the transition between REM sleep to non-REM sleep.

As I frequently get attacks a few hours into sleep I can agree to a point.  In my opinion this theory falls apart due to daylight attacks and attacks that occur during rest periods that do not involve sleep.

Where REM to non-REM sleep may be a factor I believe it is only one of several factors associated with CH.  It appears that the medical community also recognizes CH and sleep disorders as seperate issues even though they are frequently mentioned together in the same research.

Tom    

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Supposedly around 80% of CH suffers have sleep apnea. When the O2 level drops in the blood the vessels enlarge to get moree blood to your brain triggering an attack. Floridian should have more info on this subject.........
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 4:01pm »

well, the only "official" trigger is nitro-glycerine but most clusterheads find that REM sleep is a biggie, too.  That's why taking benadryl OR gravol/dramamine before bed is a good idea.  Both prevent you from reaching REM so you can avoid those attacks.  You can only take it for a short period of time (7 days max in a row, I've been told) because REM deprivation sets in and it's not pretty.

Melatonin actually promotes REM sleep but, for some reason, maybe a different level of REM?  It helps prevent wakeup cluster as well.  

Violet, you mention that you're being woken up by a migraine though...kind of uncommon for a migraine to do that - it's more probable that it will hit you just after you normally wake up.  Not in the middle of the night.  Do you have migraine or cluster?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 5:21pm »

I have clusters, and it seems to me like the pain wakes me up.  I'll be sleeping and dreaming, and then the next thing I know there's this nagging pain tearing me out of my sleep!
Thank you everyone for your input.
IP Logged
millie the episodic
New Board Junior
USA 

God Bless all CH victims!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 8:00pm »

SmileyWould someone please explain REM and non REM sleep?
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 8:12pm »

REM sleep is associated with Rapid Eye Movement that begins while dreaming during sleep and is considered the most active period of the sleep cycle.  There are several stages of sleep and the following link will provide more information.  

http://www.sleepdisorderchannel.net/stages/

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 8:15pm »

"Nagging pain" ??  Huh

Usually, if I get woke up by a headache ... it's a MONSTER !!

Unsolved
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 8:23pm »

Floridian once explained to me why Melatonin causes such vivid dreams, yet seems to help with night hit clusters.  I love Floridian, but sometimes have trouble interpreting his answers (sorry, Flo).  

Regardless, Melatonin taken in doses of around 6-9mg before bed seems to really help with those nasties that wake you up.  Plus ... Melatonin seems to replace an ingredient that many clusterheads are short of - Seratonin - one of the factors (or lack of) that the experts seem to agree contribute to our problem.  I've found it a great help, while Benedryl and other sleep aids seem to help very little.

Good luck - Give it a try!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
millie the episodic
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 8:28pm »

I agree that 'nagging pain" and cluster headache don't go well together, especially when you are trying to describe the pain that us clusterheads have to go through. Shocked
Try another adjective.
IP Logged
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 9:51pm »

on Jul 24th, 2005, 3:30pm, maffumatt wrote:
Supposedly around 80% of CH suffers have sleep apnea. When the O2 level drops in the blood the vessels enlarge to get moree blood to your brain triggering an attack. Floridian should have more info on this subject.........

I have sleep apnea and have episodic clusters.  Besides that, I'm a party!!

IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 12:42am »

Being woken from sleep is one of the classic symptoms of Cluster Headaches.  I am episodic and the only time I get hit is at night, and I do have sleep apnea, I don't beleive it is a trigger but rather that it aggravates CH.  If you get hit alot at night, I'd say have a sleep study done and see if you do have a sleep related breathing disorder which may be contributing to the CH attacks.
IP Logged
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 4:27am »

I get hit sometimes one hour after sleeping and REM hasn't kicked. I believe the actual time is more of a factor than the dreaming.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 9:47am »

on Jul 24th, 2005, 8:23pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
while Benedryl and other sleep aids seem to help very little.

Kris

Just for clarification, Kris, Benadryl isn't a sleep aid, nor is Dramamine/Gravol.  Benadryl is an anti-histamine that just happens to cause sleep as a side effect.  The anti-histamine aspect also helps clusterheads in that it breaks down some of the congestion that is so common. Dramamine is an anti-nauseant that also has the same side effect of producing sleep.  Neither one will allow REM sleep, though, and that's the objective to combat night-time cluster attacks.  I agree with you that "sleep aids" don't help - they don't.  The reason they don't is that they promote REM sleep.

Benadryl and Dramamine really have helped quite a few clusterheads here, so it's probably not accurate to generalize them into the "sleep aids" category.

Sorry, Violet, I was confused by your first post where you said that you "get the wake up migraines" - that's why I asked if you were suffering from cluster.  I've never heard it described as nagging pain before though.  I wish the pain that I see radiating from my husband COULD be classified as "nagging".  In our house though, a better description would be "horrific, inhumane, stupid pain." Sad

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2005, 9:48am by Margi » IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 4:01pm »

I have a question to ask.. well I don't know if its a question but here goes..  

I usually only get my cycles 2 times a yr (June-Aug & Dec-Feb). But before now I went almost 3yrs PF. Until I started this June 1st, each cycle last almost 90days exactly.

Anysways since I have logged on here I started taking 9-12mg Melatonin & 50mg Benadryl at bedtime each night (about July 1st). It has not stopped the hits, but has really reduced them alot.

The question is should I be taking the Benadryl everynight ? Is it bad to use it daily ?

Its just that I have had a pretty easy go in the last few weeks, they are usually my worst. I don't want to change anything and give the BEAST an opening, but if I am hurting myself I want to know.

Thanks, PFDAN's to ALL !!!!

Charlie

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 4:34pm »

"The question is should I be taking the Benadryl everynight ? Is it bad to use it daily ?"

Call up the doc's office and find out. No appt. should be necessary and no charge either. I wouldn't ask a pharmacist as sometimes we are given meds in an untraditional way, so to speak. Usually the nurse relays the question and will be calling you back within the day.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 5:13pm »

I get hit 1 1/2 hours after falling asleep.
When not in a cycle I still wake up 1 1/2 hours after falling asleep.

I get hit during REM,
I get hit during the day.

I only have cluster episodically,
but I have apnea constantly.

Clusters only happen to the dumb and ugly,
that's why I have clusters!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 8:48pm »

According to the things I've read, Benedryl taken in doses of up to 75mg/night will do nothing to hurt you - even over long periods of time.  It's primary side effect is grogginess in the AM.

When I'm in cycle, I take 9mg Melatonin and 25mg Benedryl.  I might be a little groggy in the morning, but it really helps with the night hits.  Benedryl alone didn't do it for me.  If it works for you, be assured you aren't hurting yourself.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
millie the episodic
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 11:08pm »

I am a clusterhead and I am neither dumb nor ugly, but I will except CRAZY! Shocked
I have been at the neuro ALL DAY, with wires hanging out of my hair. My husband called me the bionic woman, because people were staring when we went out to smoke.
The doc seems to think that I am having mini epitiletic seizures, but I told her that they were the occassional stabs or shadows that wake me up or make me jerk myself awake.
She added 250mg Depakote in the mornings. She also was concerned about my thyroid levels being low. She say that I didn't even get to level two sleep.
How can I get an overnight study so that maybe they can meet the monster? Undecided

Millie
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 1:17pm »

on Jul 24th, 2005, 4:01pm, Margi wrote:
well, the only "official" trigger is nitro-glycerine but most clusterheads find that REM sleep is a biggie, too.  T

Melatonin actually promotes REM sleep but, for some reason, maybe a different level of REM?  It helps prevent wakeup cluster as well.  

"Official" trigger in whose book?  Wink  

From what I have read, melatonin does not change the structure of sleep - the same proportion of time is spent in REM, delta, etc.  Antihistamines and sleeping pills, on the other hand, do change the structure of sleep.  

Melatonin seems to improve postural tone in REM, which probably reduces apnea:  
Quote:

M increases the release of serotonin (5-HT), a neurotransmitter which enhances the postural tone by acting on the dorsal pRF: on the other hand, deficits in M levels may lower the activity of the serotoninergic raphe system, thus leading to a decrease or suppression of postural activity similar to that occurring either during REM sleep or during the cataplectic episodes typical of narcoleptic patients;  

Arch Ital Biol. 2002 Apr;140(2):129-58.  Pineal gland hormone and idiopathic scoliosis: possible effect of melatonin on sleep-related postural mechanisms.   Pompeiano O, Manzoni D, Miele F. Dipartimento di Fisiologia e Biochimica, Universita di Pisa, Via S. Zeno 31, 1-56127 Pisa, Italy. pompeiano@dfb.unipi.it

A theory on how REM 'induces' cluster and migraine headaches:  
Quote:
Schmerz. 2004 Aug;18(4):300-5.  

[Sleeping behaviour and headache attacks in cases of primary headache. Possible pathological mechanisms]

Straube A, Forderreuther S.  Neurologische Klinik der Universitat Munchen, Standort Grosshadern. astraube@nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de

Headache is connected with sleep quality, e.g. hypnic headache and chronic paroxysmal headache attacks occur preferentially during REM sleep; this is possibly also true for cluster headache and migraine. REM sleep is typically characterized by the occurrence of ponto-geniculo-occipital spikes (PGOs). These PGOs should be able to trigger cortical spreading depression (CSD), which, although often clinically silent, is assumed to be an essential element of a migraine attack and possibly also of other forms of headache. CSDs are considered a correlate of migraine aura. They could lead to the secondary activation of trigeminovascular afferences, which would then induce a headache. Interestingly, illnesses that are comorbid with migraine cause an increase in the amount of REM sleep; conversely, various drugs administered prophylactically for these illnesses reduce the quantity of REM sleep.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2005, 1:18pm by floridian » IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 2:36pm »

on Jul 27th, 2005, 1:17pm, floridian wrote:

"Official" trigger in whose book?  Wink

um...Doc Goadsby's book?  Isn't it the only thing that will trigger an attack out of cycle?

Thanks for posting that about melatonin/REM - very cool, Flo.  You're just a walking encycloapaedia, man!  We'd be lost without you here!  Smiley

And, Kris, Benadryl doesn't let you reach REM.  REM deprivation can be very serious over extended periods of time.  It also reduces congestion. Taking anything long term that causes an effect - be it sleep or decongestion - can cause your body to stop trying to do those things for itself.  Please be careful contradicting well known (and valid) precautions, ok?  
IP Logged

source unknown

Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 4:10pm »

It's known that a lack of serotonine causes the CH attacks in some way, the following text could explain why REM sleep may trigger CH attacks:

from

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/serotonin/sleep.htm

Dr. J. Allan Hobson, professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and director of the Laboratory of Neurophysiology at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center, has spent more than 40 years studying sleep and dreaming. He is author of "The Chemistry of Conscious States" (Little, Brown, 1994).

He describes how our brain chemistry cycles from the dominance of one chemical system to another during wakefulness, slow wave sleep and REM sleep (rapid eye movement sleep, during which most, but not all, dreams occur).

"In order to be awake and aware," he said, "the brain needs two chemicals: noradrenaline and serotonin."

During slow wave sleep (most of the sleep during the night), the levels of these chemicals fall by half. During REM sleep, the levels drop to nearly zero, and brain activity is dominated by neurons using another chemical: acetylcholine.
--------------------------------------------------------------

BTW:  The first REM session occurs c. 90 minutes after falling asleep and then in 90 minute intervals after that.

Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #22 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 1:26pm »

Interesting thread and great link Thomas. I reckon there is a possible link between CH, sleep, dreaming and neurogenesis  There appears to be no common consensus in respect of why people sleep; I believe it is so that we are able to dream.  There is even less agreement as to the true role of dreaming; although most people do agree that it's essential.  I have hypothesised that dreaming is an essential mechanism for 'neurogenesis' in the brain.

The basic hypothesis is that neurogenesis - the birth of new neurons in the brain - only occurs with the correct 'type' and the correct 'amount' of sleep; and perhaps more importantly, the correct type and amount of dreaming.  If neurogenesis does not occur at sufficiently robust levels then certain neurological disorders may become apparent, including cluster headache.

Dreaming appears to be regulated by a variety of different chemicals within the brain, including monoamines, neurotransmitters, beta-carbolines, cytokines (IL-1 and TNF), growth hormones etc., and many studies have shown that CH sufferers have an imbalance of some of these chemicals.  However, the crucial chemicals that affect dreaming may in fact be the endogenously produced psychoactive methylated tryptamines, including DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, pinoline and bufotenine.  These are believed to be produced by the epiphysis (pineal body), a fascinating little gland, which is directly linked to the hypothalamus (more particularly the suprachiasmatic nucleus) via the pineal nerve.  Perhaps CH sufferers actually have an 'abnormal' pineal gland, which is causing the irregularity of activity seen within the hypothalamus?

As we know, many traditional prescriptive medications are based on indole ring hallucinogens, but (arguably) none of these appear to be as effective as LSD, LSA or psilocybin/psilocin.  Perhaps these unadulterated alternative medications are more effective in mimicking the naturally occurring oneirogenic or somnogenic chemicals, and hence re-set the 'dream-clock' and enable normal neurogenesis to occur?

Early days yet - but I'll pull it all together one day Smiley

-Lee
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss