Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The mother of all pain »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   The mother of all pain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The mother of all pain  (Read 393 times)
unsolved1

Email

The mother of all pain
« on: Jul 24th, 2005, 9:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

They don't call these things 'suicide headaches' for nothing !!

Do you remember your worst headache ? I'd like to hear about it and how you got through it.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2005, 3:51pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

Re: The mother of all pain
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 9:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Lips Sealed

1997.  I had been married about a year,
and mis-diagnosed with migraines.  Was taking tylenol
with the codeine and it wasn't do ing much for me.

I had had a level 8 at 8am, a level 9 at noon...
and another level 9 at 5pm.

I was so tired all i wanted to do was sleep.

by 8pm i was in bed...normally i don't slelep until 10....

woke up at 9 and my eye was jsut about swollen shut.
I was biting a pillow to keep from screaming,
 and my husband still heard me from the den and came running in.

I just got up and paced.  Went to the living room,
 tried to watch some tv.  That wasnt working.  
Tried the tylenol...couldn't open the child proof lid so  
had to ask hubby to open the bottle for me.  
 Swigged them down like a good little girl...and kept pacing.

the pain was so bad, my stomach was not happy.
I had never gotten sick with pain before or since....
but that was not fun.  Head hurting and the eye not working  
and the mouth and stomach teaming up against me.... it was quite a battle.

that was the only time I ever looked at my hubby and asked him to let me go....
take me out with a bat, a gun it didn't matter....
just get it over with.

That was the night I was convinced I wouldn't survive  
and with the raging headache i was convinced I should
 write goodbye letters to my mom and my sister. Cry
ugh.  what a night.

He did ask several times, "Doyou wanna go to the E.R?"

Who in any state of mind "wants" to go.  i said no,  
and had to repeat that several times. Embarassed Tongue

He got so angry at being helpless that he swore.

"Then stop complaining.  It can't be that bad if you won't go the E.R." Angry

I muttered and that wasn't polite,  
but he wasn't helping me off my self so what good was he at that point?  
 Undecided so it was enough to send him pouting to the den...out of my face.... Kiss

I was quite rational....and yet totally insane. Huh
it raged for 2 hours. Shocked

then it just poof. disappeared.  
 didn't know where it went  just was thankful it was gone.  
I remember thinking to myself as I passed out ...
 "I am glad I won't ever feel that pain again...."    Grin
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 9:42pm »

interesting topic.....

had to be this cycle on a Sunday afternoon.  i had taken four trex nasals in the previous 20 hours so I was on a self imposed detox.  This one came hard and fast and within about 20 minutes, I was on the floor of the basement (coldest room in the house) crying like a baby that had just had his favorite toy burned in front of him.  I remember growling, walking around, my head in my hands PLEADING with God for the pain to just end.   This went on for about two hours - a definte Kip 10 and slowly, methodically, and rudely withered away over the next five hours.  And, just for fun, a nice sharp hot poker in my eye every three and a half minutes or so.  

IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 10:40am »

on Apr 28th, 2005, 10:16am, E-Double wrote:
Good morning all!!!

Thank you all for the well wishes!!

Yesterday was a bizarre day.......Started out typical...low level shadows but seemed to progressively increase throughout.

Reached about a 6-7 around 1pm which is something I can usually grit my teeth and work.......I left my house (was in between cases) and kinda knew something was going to happen but I had to work....

I got half way to my case and had to pull over.....1:30 called client and the wife (lil_jo) knocked it back with o2

Drive on.....2 bam again k-9..call wife...."go get some coffee and hang in there....do all of your tricks then go to client" ....gave my self a shot and huffed air.....knocked back and by the time I got to client a 10...eye was completely shut and I was a mess again....I had to walk in the house this way because I was already late and the parent of my student was worried.....She sent me back out to do what I had to do.......

Anyway another 3 hrs in car and I couldn't take it anymore.....I usually suck it up no complaints and do what I have to do for fear of giving in to the beast....I will win not IT......

Called doctor in jitters and called dear frien Rori (who I thank with all my heart)..I had never gone to the hospital while in full blown unbreakable attack and didn't know despite all of the stories here what I should do....

Get to hospital they took me in right away once they heard CLUSTER so I guess that was inmpressive....

I danced a while ......O2, trex, Daludid?....took 4 shots of that shit through out evening there.....made me numb, stoned, couldnt move but still felt the damn HA but was kinda a blob of jelly......then they gave me a Decadron push........

I don't know....either had breakthroughs  or full on HA 3 more times @ hospital prior to getting under control....Went home and the nausea began.....Reminded me of drinking way too much on an empty stomach.....Yacked like a champ and passed out....

It took a dear friend to teach me yesterday that it is ok to let someone else handle it for a few hours.....
I needed a break and we'll see what happens.....
Up until yesterday I thought it was not worth going to hospital.....I think now that I will never consider myself weaker for doing so......It took balls to get over there and to swallow my pride!!!

Thank you all, sorry for the incoherent babble (still a bit of brain mush) and I love ya!

Eric

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 9:33pm »

I don't think my story can compare, as I've only had clusters episodically for the past 9 years.  Of course, the first cycle went totally undiagnosed.

Second cycle, waiting for neuro consult, given Trex injects but scared of using a needle.  Also given Percodan (GP ignorance at the time).  Went from my usual sinus burning to a kip 9 within a few minutes.  Still scared of the needle thing.  Took 2 Percodan and proceeded to puke my guts out - sending me to a kip 10 within a few more minutes.  Finally, my husband took out the Trex Autoinject, quickly read the instructions, and shot me in the leg.    

What can I say but total relief within 3-4 minutes.  Never been afraid of those needles since.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 7:28am »

The first was my worst -  

On an airplane out of nowhere comes a pain that grew so severe I thought I was going to die.  Effected the entire upper right quandrant forehead, scalp, upper jaw/teeth, nose face, temple.  Believed my head was about to explode so when I survived it I didn't know what to think.  Ended up on this adventure, that first cycle lasted two years without remission.    

No slow initiation for me, full blown CH attack and chronic right out of the gates.  I've had many attacks of equal pain since but that first one and the confusion it caused has got to be my mother of all pain.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 9:09pm »

there are so many wonderful stories...
I don't know which one to tell!

(I hate being asked what's my favorite movie too.)
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 9:42pm »

Around five years ago. Doing a job out of town. Ran out of trex the second night on the job. Suffered a Kip9 that night in the hotel room without trex. Woke first thing in the A.M. and headed for the nearest Walgreens knowing I had 1 refill left.  

While waiting for the pharmacy to open, I started to get the familiar twinge. By the time they opened the doors, I was ramping up fast towards the KIP10 level. As I waited for my refill order, snot began to pour, the eye began to tear, and I was hopping around ready to scream.

The poor lady came back with an aspirin and glass of water with such sadness in her face because she could see the full blown KIP10 right in front of her eyes. She nervously told me I had NO refills left.  

I walked out the door like a lost puppydog. Went to the car and cried banging my head on the steering wheel for what seemed like hours. I'll never forget that day as it had to be the worst one of all.

The next day I got my refills. Boy was I relieved.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 9:54pm »

I think I'd have to say my worst was one prior to Dx.  I had just woken up from the anestesia after my hysterectomy and bladder resection, and my head was on fire...I was on the gurney in recovery and I began to thrash around and it was a damn miracle the nurse caught me from hitting the floor.  The rails went up, and every 15 minutes I was getting my ass shot with morphine.  Nothing...after 6 shots I was still screaming and crying and thrashing...I wasn't even dopey, just screaming at the top of my lungs and at risk for ripping my internal sutures where the bladder was reattached and the cuff from the hysterectomy.  They finally switched the injection to demerol, a double dose, and I don't recall much of anything after that till I woke up in my room.   After that I had a hell of a round of attacks for the next 4 days and they kept me an extra day for observation for potential bleeding.  After all that and still no DX...makes a person wonder.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss