Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Getting Hammered - Doc asked if Advil helped !! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Getting Hammered - Doc asked if Advil helped !!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Getting Hammered - Doc asked if Advil helped !!  (Read 475 times)
headbanger45
New Board Newbie
USA 

Busted head and rocking

Getting Hammered - Doc asked if Advil helped !!
« on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Now, I know I have a crappy dr. - Having major bangs since Saturday - 8-9's and called the dr for some drug help and he sets me up with Imitrex for the first time. I go to CVS and he set me up with 6 - Six !!! What is that 3, maybe 4 days. Six - I hope the bastard asks me to get him a beer - I'll look for a shot glass - that should be enough - I hate the medical vultures - I haven't found one that gives a shit about nothing but your f---ing - pay up front co-pay! You would think Dallas should have better educated doctors - this is nuro that thinks headaches are just headaches - He asked if Advil worked and suggested extra strength. I might end up in jail from beating his ass -----Anyone recommend a Dallas doctor that knows a CH from his ass---Thanks for listening - I feel better already !!
IP Logged
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

Re: Getting Hammered - Doc asked if Advil helped !
« Reply #1 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 9:20am »

I'm sorry to hear about this.  I was diagnosed in Dallas (around 1993) by a GP in Plano.  He hooked me up with Imitrex Nasal for an abortive and it works 70% of the time when I'm in cycle.

I don't have a doctor recommenedation other than you may want to go to your GP, making sure he knows you've been diagnosed with CH.

Bring a lot of the information from this site including the Oxygen information and the Verapmil information.  Best of luck and hopefully pain free days are ahead.
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:51am »

If this was your first apt. I don't think it was to out of line for the dr to ask about advil/tylanol working.  It is typical of almost ALL insurance companies to only give you 6 a  month.  That is why some people cut their pills in half or try the tip on the left <== called imitrix tip on how to split an injection 3x.  Otherwise  best thing to do is try oxygen and find a prevenatative that works for you.  Some popular ones are verapamil, lithium, topamax, elavil, zyprexa.  Different things work for different people.  I would say most require high doses.  look through the archives and you can find out how much medicine people take or have tried.  Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
scarmig
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:59am »

on Aug 2nd, 2005, 9:16am, headbanger45 wrote:
-----Anyone recommend a Dallas doctor that knows a CH from his ass---Thanks for listening - I feel better already !!  

The Houston Headache Clinic operates a branch in Dallas near the Harry Hines medical area.

They come into town every two weeks.  Dr. Mathew diagnosed me with CH in about 5 questions.  They are expensive ($500 for a one hour consult), so don't be surprised if your insurance grumbles at you.  But the grumbling is worth it for an accurate diagnosis.

The only complaint I have is that the docs there don't seem to be up with the "underground" treatments such as melatonin, kudzu, and the upcoming psylocibin studies.  But they are not reluctant to prescribe zomigs, imitrex, verapamil, cafergot, and o2 (all the scripts I've gotten from them currently).

Oh, while I can guarantee nothing, if my consult only takes a few minutes, they usually prorate the hour out.  Meaning they don't charge $500 for a 15 minute conversation.  I think the most they've hit my insurance for was half-an-hour.  Your mileage may vary.  Smiley

http://houstonheadacheclinic.com/
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:25am »

Quote:
He asked if Advil worked and suggested extra strength. I might end up in jail from beating his ass

Good for you!  Grin

But please remember beating rule #1........don't leave any marks.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:40am »

called the dr for some drug help and he sets me up with Imitrex for the first time. I go to CVS and he set me up with 6 - Six !!!  

Did he prescribe pills or injections?
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:16pm »

It's the insurance company, not the doc, limiting you.
I had a prescription for 27 shots, 3 months worth, and the pharmacy would only give me 6, per the HMO's instructions...  it's a racket.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
RobinHarber
New Board Newbie
USA 

so this is the first day of the rest of my life??

« Reply #7 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:30pm »

I can only get 4 shots per month, per my insurance.  So I get a script for every different kind I can- shots, pills (useless), nasal, zomig.  Still they all have limits so its never enough.
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:38pm »

I can recommend Dr. Ninan Mathews as well. He "gets" it. Saw him in Houston in 1997

The advil question makes me wanta say "Grrrrr!"

It's like when they ask you how you are feeling when you are a 10 and crying. If you could talk, you could always say "Great, feeling fine, just thought I would come in to say hi cause I haven't seen you for awhile!"  

Have them load you up on samples in the office, then fill the script. Fill them even when you aren't in cycle so that you can hoard them when you are. Good luck.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:11pm »

Sorry to hear about your dastardly doc.  Hope you find a good one soon!

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:57pm »

this is nuro that thinks headaches are just headaches - He asked if Advil worked and suggested extra strength.   

It's amazing that neuro's even treat HA's.  They are educated on the brain and the brain doesn't even feel pain!!!  I had a neuro ask me,  "what is pain? "     Roll Eyes   He isn't my neurologist anymore.    
I too have a good GP working with me on these.  I had to go through a gambit of horses__t to get here though.  I'm feelin ya.........
IP Logged

Susan
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 7:21pm »

It seems hard for a lot of these learn'ed medical folks to comprehend what we go through as a result of the repetitious intense pain and lack of sleep.  It also seems that they have a hard time believing what we describe to them is real.

Every one of em' would be greatly enlightened to see a few of us going through a series of attacks over a week or so.  I don't know how else they can ever really understand.

Best Wishes

Tom    

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:16pm, vig wrote:
It's the insurance company, not the doc, limiting you.
I had a prescription for 27 shots, 3 months worth, and the pharmacy would only give me 6, per the HMO's instructions...  it's a racket.

I went through that too Paul. The others were still available you just had to pay for them yourself Sad And like a fool I did, 4K bucks worth Sad Then I cried poor mouth to my doc and he called my health provider and they waived the limit for me Grin  

When things get tough, the Tufts get going Grin

Sean.....................................
IP Logged
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:50am »

on Aug 2nd, 2005, 7:21pm, burnt-toast wrote:
Every one of em' would be greatly enlightened to see a few of us going through a series of attacks over a week or so.  I don't know how else they can ever really understand.  

I've been asked to videotape before.  During a cycle,  I haven't the time nor the energy to set it up and add it to my 'to do list' for my thrashing ritual.  Guess I should...
IP Logged

Susan
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:54am »

Kick him in the balls & ask him if he wanys a few asprin...
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss