Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « "A Typical Cluster" Brings me to ER »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   "A Typical Cluster" Brings me to ER
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "A Typical Cluster" Brings me to ER  (Read 354 times)
BstnEagles
New Board Junior
USA 

"A Typical Cluster" Brings me to ER
« on: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey guys,

Long time no chat.  I have a quesiton I need help with.  An experience question.  About a week an a half ago I was driving to work.  I felt a cluster coming on. I am chronic. (six years no break, the longest I have gone headache free is eleven days).  I hadn't had one in probably six days so I knew that the pain would be intense (when I dont have one for a few days my body sort of forgets about the intensity of the pain so it always seems worse when it comes again you know?).  So about halfway through this headache my face begins to tingle and then the sensation speads to my hands an feet.  In addition, the back of my neck and the front of my chest also begin to experience this tingle.  It was itense, tingly, and almost numbing.  It was like intense pins and needles.  My right side was also somewhat weak and I had some very minor neurological confusion.  I called into work turned the car around and headed back into Boston to the MGH ER.  I was immediatley broughtout in where stroke and other serious complications were ruled out after a series of nervous systems tests.  No scans were taken.  I was also given 5mg percocet and an introveinous shot of something called reglan (an anti nauseau that is suppose to break headaches.)  I was discharged two hours later.

My questions are:

has anyone had these sensations?  Is it a reaction to pain?  Shock maybe?  I am also thinking that I may have also started to panic.  In any case I am thinking that maybe I should schedule an MRI to make sure although I think everything is ok.  I usually take imitrex or zomig in the nasal spray format but didnt have any that day,

Thanks.

Sorry so long

Ed
IP Logged
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Re: "A Typical Cluster" Brings me to ER
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:30pm »

DO you have a regular neuro?  I would err on the side of caution and make an appointment.  Doesn't sound like any anxiety attack I've ever had.  Maybe compromised circulatoin?  Pinched nerve?  I passed out from one of those years ago.  Still, I say see your doc.
Kim
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 6:20pm »

Smiley
Take courage in the fact they ruled out the stroke.

but you said they didn't do any scans?
How did they come up with the facts?

I have read a few articles that mention a migraine
can sometimes occur with similar symptoms....
that half the face goes weak and numb,
 but never read about it traveling down the neck....

We really are lucky with this disease,
no permanent brain damage,
and the pain eventually receedes.
I could not live life locke d in a wheel chair,
or tomented night and day with a level 8....

keep in touch with your doctor and keep
updating your headache journal....
something will have to make sense soon!
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:17pm »

It sounds to me like a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). A TIA is a mini-stroke. The onset of the CH could have raised your BP to the point where high BP triggered a TIA. The TIA symptoms disappear within an hour so when you were checked for stroke at the hospital they couldn't find anything wrong. If I were you I would see a cardiologist, who will probably schedule you for a carotid ultrasound to test for carotid stenosis. In the meantime, take a baby (81mg) aspirin once a day to reduce the risk of stroke.

See:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tia/tia.htm

and Google "transient ischemic attack".

Good luck,

BB
IP Logged
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:56am »

I too suffer complicated migraines as well as CH and had many similar attacks. They  suspected a TIA from complications of the migraines and I am on baby aspirin for life. I was paralyzed on my right side for five days (three years ago) and recovered. Migraines are dangerous if they are severe, complicated and often. They can lead to TIA's and stroke. Some docs pooh pooh this but a good neuro told me to take my migraines seriously and there have been quite a few studies to support this unfortunately. I am sure Floridian or some other astute member can provide links to some of these studies. Or just google migraines and go to various sites and learn the depressing news.  
Make sure you follow up with your neuro and stay under care.
IP Logged
cher1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:10pm »

hi there

i found that after using imitrex, my circulation is very poor, when i become slightly chilled both my forefingers go numb, if i go swimming with the kids and become cold, well, its like i have shards of glass embedded into my skin i just cant touch my arms, it takes hours on end and long hot baths to get me back to normal, I dont know about anyone else, but this is what has happened to me after using imitrex for a while.  I have been 3 years in remission now, no headaches, but still suffer the side effects of the drugs.

cher x
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss