Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 4:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question about Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question about Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question about Verapamil  (Read 447 times)
Pedro
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Question about Verapamil
« on: Aug 18th, 2005, 8:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there,

I'm currently in a CH cycle and taking Verapamil as a medicin to avoid it (sorry for my improper English..). It is helping to avoid like 60% of my attacks, but even if I don't have a attack it feels like it is constantly there. It is very hard to concentrate on anything and for example hard to read because I feel to tired. Sometimes an attack even gives a relief when it is gone. But the medicin makes me feel dead tired the whole day, better then an CH attack anyway. I was wondering if others have the same experience or is there a better medicin with less side effects.  
In the messages I also read that the medicins are so expensive, here in Holland everything is 100% covered by health insurance so I must be happy with that.

To all CH sufferers and supporters, hang in there and thnx for this board !!
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Question about Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 8:58am »

Your feeling that it's always there is what we call shadows. Some of us (me included) are able to get rid of the shadows by drinking strong coffee.

I don't take verapamil, so can't help you there.
Jose
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:57am »

Most folks need high doses to get good prevention but such a dose may reduce your blood pressure too much. That could make for the problem you report.

I'd ask your doctor if a change in dose might help.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:00am »

Since I started taking Lithium and Verapamil I do become drowsy alot. But my doc said it would be more from the Lithium. There aren't many medicines that won't have some kind of side effect and it actually work.
Best wishes,

BF
IP Logged
gMike
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

How many mg of VerapamRe: Question about Verapamil
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 2:33pm »

How many milligrams of Verapamil are you taking each day?  I was taking 480mg. of Verapamil and 225 mg of Indomethacin and had similar issues with being too tired to do anything.

I am down to 240mg of Verapamil and 150mg of Indomethacin each day and I feel much better.

Mike
IP Logged

I used to care, but things have changed!
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 3:14pm »

I was taking over 900mg and it made me feel tired and out of breath and lowered my bloodpressure and finally gave me an irregular heart beat because the dose was to high for my body to handle.  Try lithium.  I was on that for 2  years and loved it.  I had no problems.  Pluss it worked to reduce my ch in half and reduced the intensity level as well.  Good luck in finding something that works for you.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 4:43pm »

Hi Pedro,

Sometimes when you increase or start verapamil you may be more tired. For me the tiredness did fade after a few weeks. I would ask your doctor about it to be safe.

Be well and PF,
lionsound
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 4:53pm »

on Aug 18th, 2005, 4:43pm, lionsound wrote:
Hi Pedro,

Sometimes when you increase or start verapamil you may be more tired. For me the tiredness did fade after a few weeks. I would ask your doctor about it to be safe.

Be well and PF,
lionsound

What she said......

When I switched from extended release to regular, my night-time dose wouyld knock me out. A week or so later I was fine.
I'm on 560 daily
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 8:57pm »

I was taking 640mg Verap but still getting hit just as bad as before I was started on it. It didn't make me tired but it worried me about the side effects on the heart etc. So after over 18mths of taking it I decided to taper off to see what would happen.  
Nothing!! Nothing has changed so far after being off it for over a week. Still get shadows, still get hit.
No explaining these thing is there.  
I hope you start feeling better soon,
Cheers,
Jacqs
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
sdlauri
New Board Newbie
USA 

HA free this second

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:08pm »

Hi Pedro,

I have just been diagnosised and was put on Verapamil 120 ER - I was told by my doc that it could take up to a couple of months to really help.  
I have only taken 3 doses but my headaches have been cut by 1/3 - only one really bad headache per day - whew.  It makes my heart pound a little and a little tired more quickly but small price to pay.

Lauri
IP Logged

Thank God for Statdose
BigRedLizard
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 1:10am »

I have been taking 1080mg daily, until recently the edema got out of control and I got a staph infection in my left leg. So for now I'm off the Verapamil. After about 6 months, the shadows got less, but they never really went away. i drank a lot of Bawls (a "natural" powered energy drink) to help with it.
IP Logged

I wish I had a quality eraser.

Something belt fed, rotary barrels, 7.62 maybe, low recoil, good balance, won't overheat...
don

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 6:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I have just been diagnosised and was put on Verapamil 120 ER - I was told by my doc that it could take up to a couple of months to really help.    

Then get a new Doc.

Verap takes 7-10 days to reach theraputic levels and 120 will probably not be a theraputic dosage.

Get a new doc.
IP Logged
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

With Him, all things are possible. ><>

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 11:13pm »

When I started on verapamil, a smaller dose worked fine.  As time went on, though, I found I needed larger and larger doses.  I was up to 960 mg daily and still getting hit a lot.  I know the fatigue, constipation, swelling, bounding heart.

Recently, my neuro ramped me down to 480 mg/day, with Elavil (amitryptyline) which didn't do anything but multiply the side effects by 10.  I slept better, but almost got a bowel obstruction.

Now, I'm on 480 mg verapamil, 150 mg Indocin, 400 mg riboflavin (Vit. B2), and Benadryl for sleep.  Now I get hit only about once or twice a week, and feel MUCH less tired.

Good luck to you--I hope you find that magic mix that works for you!

Namaste,
--Scott
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

"When no one else knows how I feel,
You run to me, with outstretched hands,
and you hold me in your arms.
Again."
--Building 429
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 6:14pm »

If you have low blood pressure you will be more tired than others form taking Verapamil.

I take only 240mg slow release Verapamil with 400g Paracetamol, 0.1mg Belladonna alkoloids, 1mg Ergotamine tartrate and a cup of verryyy strong coffee and I'm sometimes too exhausted to reply to this site.  But then again I have a body mass of 52kg or 114 lbs and my BP is 80 over 60.  So I'm virtually dead!

I prefer this however to CH. Wink  This combo works for me to keep me painfree 80% of the time but for emergencies (Kip 8-10) I use Imitrex (Imigran injections as they are called here).

Baie sterkte vir jou en ek hoop jy vind dit wat vir jou werk!

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 8:16am »

Hey there  Smiley

I've been to the doctor today to up my dose of verapamil in the hope it will help with the 'shadows'.  Having a hard time with fatigue etc, being a single mum with a 3 yr old son and studying part time not so good... but so much better than having headaches every day.... fingers crossed  Tongue  My first time on... good to see how others cope - have had them myself for coming on 16 yrs now - mostly undiagnosed hell.
IP Logged
gMike
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 9:54am »

The fatigue should get better after a few days.  I had a similar experience with being very fatigued and it took 6 or 7 days to adjust.

Mike
IP Logged

I used to care, but things have changed!
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 10:24am »

Verapamil can make you tired and dizzy for the first couple of weeks until your body adjusts to the medicine.  They go away after a while.
Good Luck,
Vi
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss