Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Magnesium and/or Melatonin supplements »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Magnesium and/or Melatonin supplements
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Magnesium and/or Melatonin supplements  (Read 289 times)
nivski
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Magnesium and/or Melatonin supplements
« on: Aug 31st, 2005, 4:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I haven't yet read the primary source (article) but have been told about some research that showed some successful decrease in symptom, if not episode, severity, after subjects used supplements of 300-400 mg/day of magnesium. The same article also cited melatonin supplements but no dosage recommendations. Does anyone have any experience with either of these supplements?
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2005, 4:50am by nivski » IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

Re: Magnesium and/or Melatonin supplements
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 5:45am »

I have no experience with Magnesium...

But shortly after my cycle's started again on June 1st, I came to this site and was introduced to Melatonin...

It was about 2 weeks into my cycle when I started taking the Melatonin (9mg about 30 minutes before bed each night) along with Benadryl (50mg)...

It took about 4 days to start working, but it took away almost all of my night time hits, and the ones that I did get were less intense....

I was also using Depakote ER 500mg a day... but I do not think this effected my cycle, cause I noticed no difference when I started it and even when I stopped it.

But I had 2 nights during this last cycle that I forgot to take the Melatonin at night.. and I got very, very hard hits the same night. When I took the Melatonin regularly, I was sleeping through the night again...  

Its been about 10days since I got a hit, my cycle usually ends at the end of August.. I quit using all meds a little over 2 weeks ago.... I am still having a little trouble sleeping at night, but I am PF....  

Just my personal opinion, but I think the Melatonin helped reduce my cycle to Null... It has even ended about 2 weeks early, if all holds well....  

PFDAN's to ALL !!!
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 6:42am »

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=HomePage
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 7:30am »

For the past uear i had been taking 500mg magnesium daily and two weeks ago increased it to 750mg (suggested by my doc) in hopes of helping my HA's (CH and migraines). I am pregnant and my meds are very limited.

Does it work? Honestly I'm never really sure. My head has been somewhat better the past two weeks, but so has the weather, so it's hard to tell if it was the magnesium or that a bad patch has passed for me. More time will tell.  

I've also used melatonin and liked that a lot.  

Which ever you try you should be sure and ask your doctor first because you never know about med interactions and side effects at high doses.  

Be well and PF!
-lionsound
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 7:59am »

Hi Sue. Check your email, I just wrote you.

The magnesium success stories I've heard about involved very high doses of oral magnesium or IV magnesium.  
Melatonin helps many. Particularly if you get the middle of the night hits. There are a lot of threads about it here. Just scroll through the Medications board, you'll find them.

Call me if you ever want to talk.
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 12:20pm »

Magnesium is part of my ch control. In the beginning taking 350mg magnesium tablet actually stopped a bad ch attack - twice! When my magnesium dose ran out, I got horribly hit. Since then I have made sure that I never run out of them. I keep on eating them even that I'm PF right now.  

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 6:52pm »

Melatonin is a life-saver for me when it comes to those night "wake-up" calls.  9mg about 30 minutes before bed, though it takes a few nights to kick in.  Though I'm out of cycle, I still take it on occasion for "menopausal sleeplessness."

Magnesium at high doses helps many, but I wasn't one of them.  All it did was counteract the constipation effects of high-dose Verapamil.  To put it bluntly, I quite literally pooped my pants on a couple of occasions (go ahead and laugh guys).  Luckily, I was in the comfort of my own home both times.  *smile*

PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 8:07pm »

I had the magnesium IV while getting the DHE IV and I don't think it helped then. Between that and the DHE, my cycle did not break. Now I take 400 mg of Magnesium and also some B2 vitamin, docs orders, along with other stuff and I am doing much better. Has it been apart of it? Who knows. Have not used the melatonin.  

Best wishes,

Brandi
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss