Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « episodic ch and finding work »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   episodic ch and finding work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: episodic ch and finding work  (Read 562 times)
catherinelane
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

brain is out please leave a message after the tone

Email

episodic ch and finding work
« on: Sep 16th, 2005, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi there all would appreciate some oppinions on this little problem i have i was pf for over 2 years and had an emergency appendecectomy which triggered another cluster cycle which lasted a month i have seen a neuro who has given me a course of steroids and oxygen and imigran injections and thankfully am now only suffering the rare shaddow. now the question is do i go and find a job ?? and if i do do i declare my condition on my application??? which obviousley no one will employ me when they see that , or do i sign on for disability allowance which will also be a struggle because i could be pf for the next 10 years or the next week who knows, im getting a headache just stressing about the work or not situation. HELP!!!!
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: episodic ch and finding work
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 11:03am »

Catherine  
I prsonally wouldn't declare it although it is now recognised as a disability under UK legal precedents. There is info on a test case on OUCH UK where a guy was ruled as being unfavourably dismissed for having Clusters.
If you need help finding the info send me an IM!!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 1:18pm »

I wouldn't tell anyone until you got the job and established a good relationship with your boss.  Adminstrators when looking at applications would probably skip over you at seeing such a disorder.  Show them you can work hard and then tell them.  This is just my experience.  Other people might have had better success with telling them outright.  Its really all up to you.  Sorry I couldnt be much help lol.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
catherinelane
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 1:37pm »

i just dont want decieve anybody how can i sit there and say yes im hard working reliable and so on when i know at any moment i may not be those things,   its catch 22, i either am honest declare it and risk not getting a job at all or not declare it and risk being sacked in a position for lying if the condition flares up again, and you practically have to be dead to get disability allowance so what do i do ????
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 2:04pm »

Are you talking about disability living allowance or incapacity benefit?
Incapacity benefit is payable if you have worked for a set amount of time within the last three years.
DLA I don't think you would have much hope of getting as a episodic sufferer as its meant for people who have a permanent disability. There are temporary benefits you can get but you would need to talk to someone from the DHSS about that who knows more.
How many episodes have you had within the last 3 years or five years or since you have been diagnosed?  
I would concentrate on that when applying for jobs rather than saying it could come back at any time!
Also if you can say you have reasonable procedures in place such as O2 or imigran injections for example you can state quite reasonably that you have the condition under control.
Be positive! You have alot to offer and CH isn't the end of the world, I know it feels like it sometimes though!  
Its a case of fighting back.. you can do it! Smiley
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 2:28pm »

you're not disabled, you have episodic cluster headaches. with focus and determination you can manage CH, and manage with them without having to worry so much that some employer will feel defrauded by your omission. if it becomes a problem later, worry about it then. but you won't find many employers fretting over whether they're really certain they can commit to your position for the long term. a job is a job and you'll feel a helluva a lot better if you got out there and took control of your life, instead of waiting for your next CH cycle. kick yourself in the butt and get going and don't allow yourself to make excuses. live life like you don't have clusters when you're not in cycle.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 3:49pm »

Catherine,
I don't know what is the common procedure with these things; are you supposed to tell about illnesses etc. I'm a student (MA) and I haven't told anyone at my uni about it. My ch has been behaving, so I don't see any reason to tell about it now. I will, if another bout begins and it will affect my work. It made my BA studies harder and once I told my professors about it, they were supportive in many ways.

Best wishes & PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

catherinelane
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 9:02am »

mmmm all interesting stuff i have an interview for a job tommorow i wont say anything and work it out when i get another cycle and if i lose my job over it i will have to wait till the cycle finishes and get another job i suspose thats about all i can do ty all your input has been most helpfull to me XXXXXX
IP Logged
joey_the_grip
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:18am »

I have had to make career choices that allow me the flexibility I need to cope with my condition. I didn't tell employers about it until it became necessary.
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 7:55pm »

Shhhhhh. Keep it to yourself. I've switched jobs several times over the 26 years of CH's. Never had a problem. Luckily my cycles always started after I was there awhile. Once the cycle started, my employers have been very accomidating and let me do what I have to do. I don't think you'll ever get a job if you go telling them you can't work because of constant headaches.

Good luck on your interview.
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 6:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

get a job.............
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 6:55am »

I agree with Blue Meanie and Seasonal Boomer. If/when your cycle DOES roll around, treat it like you would if you were at work and had an ordinary tension headache. No one will be the wiser. Being candid is certainly laudable, but you can't eat "candid," and "candid" doesn't pay the bills. Good fortune to you.

-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 12:15pm »

Just a thought- this is a health issue. I didn't think an employer could fire you over a disability (which it is, the way I see it).  
In the different jobs I've had, I did the same thing- didn't tell until the cycle started. One boss I had was a bitch over it: got madder than hell when I was in the hospital and threatened to fire me because I didn't show up for work. Guess she didn't get the memo that there's no FREAKIN PHONE IN THE ER.  
The other bosses have been very understanding, gave them this website (as well as co-workers who were kind enough to look this site up). Once they could see that its not some BS I was making up, they took me and my problem a little more seriously.  
I'd say, don't tell until its necessary, but definitely give them this website, or print out info from here so that they can understand what you are going thru and how it can affect your daily life.
I'm in cycle now, taking vrap with minimal results, but am at work right now, and if things get really rough, its not a problem for me to leave.
Good luck to you  Smiley
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 3:25pm »

You will have ups and downs.
Just like everyone else in the world.

WE are certainly not disabled.
There are days that I have gotten hit upwards of 10x.
Part of life.

Work the hardest you can but do not consider yourself disabled especially being an episodic that will get repreive.

Some of us who are chronic work are butts off without complaint.

If you have to do it, no one will judge, that is your decision but my opinion is that you have to deal with this disorder and not let it rule your life!

Be well and PF wishes!!!!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
catherinelane
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 7:32am »

I GOT THE JOB................ still feel the guilt of being a liar though that cant be helped unfortunatley....
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #15 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 7:53am »

on Oct 5th, 2005, 7:32am, catherinelane wrote:
I GOT THE JOB.

sayyes

Congratulations!!!  

See? You got the job because (CH or no) you are capable of doing it!
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 8:28am »

on Oct 5th, 2005, 7:53am, lionsound wrote:

sayyes

Congratulations!!!  

See? You got the job because (CH or no) you are capable of doing it!

BINGO!! Congratulations!
IP Logged

Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 8:32am »

Great job!  No pun intended, of course................
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 5:22pm »

Good job, never let CH controll your life............
IP Logged
LadyElaine

Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 9:05am »

Thats great you got the job ! Way to go.  
You did not really lie unless they asked on you if you had cluster headaches. You just did not volunteer the information.
Some advice for when your cycle comes. I don't work now I am a stay at home grandma. When I did work and was in cycle. I explained what I had and told the boss that when I get hit I have to take a hour and deal with it, but I would make up the time. I worked hard when I was not in cycle and worked extra when I was. If I had to take a hour out of my day I gave up lunch and worked or stayed a hour late. If I was out of work a day I worked extra hard the next day. I guess that was my way of not letting clusters control my life. Plus the boss never said anything when I had to leave, he knew I would make up the time. That means a lot to a employer and it also means your not out of any money nor a job.
IP Logged
catherinelane
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 8:32am »

I JUST CAME INTO CYCLE AGAIN DAMN THIS THING.......just as things were going right too.....well at least i had a couple of weeks peace.....
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 10:51am »

Hang tough, Catherine. "This too shall pass." I hope it's a short, mild cycle... hug

-Frank
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 3:32am »

JENNIFERD, HOW DARE YOU BE IN THE ER WHEN YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jk,
Glad you got the job catherinelane.  Thats great.  I would just keep the O2 handy, keep your injections handy, and if you get hit, just go to the washroom and shoot up.  Granted, if you are in the restroom for 20 to 30 minutes, its not the most ideal, but its better than pounding your head on the desk right in front of everyone.  People would be calling priests and exorcists.
PF wishes.  Live to live, dont live to anticipate pain.
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

catherinelane
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 4:49pm »

can you immagine a priest comming into work to exersise my demons ...............hey maybee its a new cure??? he he
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 7:41am »

If they call the priests, it's bad enough, but it's certainly got to be a better ride than some of the trepanation skulls from 1-2 centuries ago!

PFDAN's,
-Swiss-Cheese Head  Grin
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss