Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 5:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « imigran injection side effects »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   imigran injection side effects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: imigran injection side effects  (Read 2223 times)
kelliev
New Board Newbie
New_Zealand 

imigran injection side effects
« on: Sep 17th, 2005, 9:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

does anyone here get yuk side effects from the imigran injection?? i am quite a small female and wonder if thats why it makes me feel so awful (still way better than the ha tho) i wonder if the bad side effects are dangerous long term ???
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: imigran injection side effects
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If you are having unwanted side effects, try taking a smaller dose. (2 - 3 mg dose instead of the full 6mg)

UNsolved
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 9:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have you givin Zomig a try? How bout o2 ?

Sean......................
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 2:21am »

One full injection does make me whoozie and slightly nauseous but try the "imitrex tip" on the left, it works well and does not have that affect.  Also I find that using the whole injection at a time brings on an attack more frequently.

Good luck!
Jas
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 7:44am »

Exactly the way to describe it......Yuck! Wink

I split the doses when necessary.

Take less med with the same abortive effect (most of the time) and less Yuck Grin
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
mattyf_69
New Board Newbie
England 

hope for best expect the worse & take what comes

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 12:51pm »

i was thinking the same thing i take the imigrin tablets and they make me feel like shit they take they beast away somtimes but i allways feel sick . have taken the nasal imigrin that didnt make me feel sick Huh
IP Logged

i love kit
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 1:10pm »

Hey matty, unless you just absolutely have to, I wouldn't bother with the Imigran (Imitrex) tablets.  They take too long to work and they do make you feel like crap for a long time afterwards.  If it's all you can get, some people here talk about cutting the tabs in half.  Something to check into.

The injectible form doesn't leave me feeling like that.  I usually split the shot in two so it goes farther.  If you can get it, get the vials and use the small diabetic syringes.  I use a .5cc 31 guage short needle syringe.  Hardly feel a thing when I take a shot.  Beats the hell out of the jab and slam of the stat dose injector system.

IP Logged
mattyf_69
New Board Newbie
England 

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 2:13pm »

hi gator  i wish i could have the injections my doctor will only priscibe tablet form and nasal spray imigran 20mg they will not give me any c02 i am currently on a waiting list to see a neurologist for them to confirm i have ch my doctor is crap dont seem  to understand my pain my eye is hanging on in there   just  Grin
IP Logged

i love kit
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 2:25pm »

Matty are you Cavegirls other half? Just noticed you are from the same place! I'm about an hour away from you just up the A1!!
If your doctor won't give you the imigran injections he is going against the BNF - British National Formulary which is the doctors "bible".. in it it states quite categorically that the only LICENSED form of treatment for CH is imigran injections not pills.. not nasal sprays.. INJECTIONS!!
I'd go back to him and ask him for them and if he says no then I'd tell him you are going to the PCT and they will make him give them to you.. they can't not since its the only licensed treatment!!
Before going heavy handed though try asking for Frovatriptan tablets, alot of us in the UK have been trying them as a preventative, ie taking them BEFORE getting hit, ideally an hour or so before a hit. They give up to 26 hours pain relief. As with the other triptans you can take up to 2 in 24 hours but you must leave at least an hour in between doses. The reason for this is they are vaso constrictors, they constrict not just the blood vessels in your noggin but throughout your body so they are not something to play silly buggers with!
Imigran is a bit of a dinosaur within the triptan family.. its the one with the shortest half life but the only one available in injectible form. Another really good one is Zolmitriptan or Zomig, thats a nasal spray but it has an incredibly long half life again so its worth considering (Its NOT the same as Imigran nasal so its worth considering)
I hope this all helps a bit,
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

pubgirl
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

The next person who calls it a migraine eats teeth

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 8:14pm »

I'm a Brit as well and I get horrid side effects from Imigran too. Not much choice and I don't think it will kill me (at least I hope not) but 02  is best- when it works that is which isn't always, even with the right equipment.

I have found that GP's are very stingy with Imigran injections because of the cost but are fine with Zomig nasals and pills and 02 once they understand the need because they don't hit their drug budgets so badly.
IP Logged

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together
mattyf_69
New Board Newbie
England 

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 3:27am »

thank u helen thanks for all your advise and kind words   thank u all would be so lost with out u Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

i love kit
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss