Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trex and MVP »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trex and MVP
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trex and MVP  (Read 360 times)
kk
New Board Newbie
USA 

Trex and MVP
« on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I’m in my fourth week of a cycle and have a question about the effects of Imitrex on suffers with moderate Mitral Valve Prolapse.

I’ve had these HA’s for 30 years and each episode is classic. Typically I get them in the fall with 1, sometimes 2 headaches a day. They usually come in the evening or right after I fall asleep. Imitrex always takes care of the problem.

This cycle is extremely bad. I’m getting 3 to 4 HA’s a day between 7 PM and 3 AM. I’m taking 1/3 stat dose and the HA usually goes away within 20 minutes. After I take the shot my heart begins to race really fast. 10 years ago I wouldn’t have thought twice about this but since I was diagnosed with MVP last year I’m a little concerned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Trex and MVP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:12pm »

Hi Ken,

Obviously, if you have a heart condition, you need to be extremely careful with Trex.  I'm assuming here that the doc prescribing the Trex is also familiar with your MVP.  

If not, you need to inform him/her right away.  I have hypertension (under control) and am still allowed Trex during cycles.  You might be also.  The racing heart would concern me a little.  I normally get a heavy feeling in my chest and abdomen, along with the feeling that my hair is on fire.  To me, that means relief in 5 minutes.  But my heart never races.

Please talk to your doc.  Also ... have you tried Oxygen therapy?  It must be prescribed the correct way to work (see the info to the left), but what could be more natural than air?!  It might be your answer to avoid Trex complications.  Keep us informed.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
kk
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:33pm »

I haven’t seen my neurologist in 3 years so he doesn’t know yet. I have an appointment tomorrow. I’ve tried O2 10 years ago but they sent me home with a compressor and tube delivery system that goes in your nose. Obviously, that didn’t work because of the delivery system. I’ll ask him tomorrow about the mask.

During a HA sometimes I feel a heart attack would be a blessing.

Thanks for your kind response.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:55pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:33pm, kk wrote:
During a HA sometimes I feel a heart attack would be a blessing.

Yup. That's CH. No idea if MVP and triptans are a no-no.....but take an antibiotic when you get your teeth cleaned. Tricky tickers and triptans can be a tad dicey.
See OPTIONS.

O2, used properly, should be a non-negotiable topic.

RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
madaline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 6:16pm »

Hi Ken, Just thought I would add my scenario: I also have MVP (diagnosed about 30 years ago), I take lots of Verapamil, and one of my abortives is Zomig nasal spray. I think the Zomig is like Imitrex; apparently it has no ill effects on my heart and I am assuming my neurologist knows about the MVP since it was on my intake sheet. But it is always a good idea to discuss any concerns with the doctor.  Good luck and PFDAN.  Madaline.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss