Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 8:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question about drinking w/ preventatives.. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question about drinking w/ preventatives..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question about drinking w/ preventatives..  (Read 346 times)
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

Question about drinking w/ preventatives..
« on: Oct 7th, 2005, 8:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Things have gone fairly well with my new meds. I was wondering if anyone who is on preventatives that are working, has been able to drink without having it trigger an attack? Any feedback would be great. I hope everyone is doing well.  

Thanks,

Brandi
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Question about drinking w/ preventatives..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 10:38pm »

Beer is good Wink

Alcohol is not a trigger for me then again nothing is.
Get hit regardless.

Try it and see.  
You will know with in minutes.

Good luck!

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 11:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Alcohol is definately a trigger for me.  I know i'll get hit so to me, it's not worth the pain.

UNsolved
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 7:11am »

For most folks, alcohol is a trigger when they are in an active cluster cycle, otherwise no problem.

I'm not aware of any contradictions for using preventive meds with alcohol.

Several years ago I found an interesting medical report from Europe which said that white wine was not a trigger for most people while red wine and distilled spirits were. No explanation of why but I assume there must be some complex chemical picture in these different forms of alcohol which affect us.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
allan_r
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 11:15am »

"Several years ago I found an interesting medical report from Europe which said that white wine was not a trigger for most people while red wine and distilled spirits were. No explanation of why but I assume there must be some complex chemical picture in these different forms of alcohol which affect us. "

I haven't had a drink in two years due to these H/As however, i did note in my drinking days that more often than not red wine and certain whiskies or scotches would bring on a horrendous headache- regardless of whether i was in cycle or not.  

As to drinking while in cycle on preventatives-- i am just too afraid to experiment.  Then again, as noted above- i had my fair share of driniking in life.

Allan R
IP Logged
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #5 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 1:44pm »

A word of warning, it truly depends on the prevents you are on as well, if you are on Topamax, read the warning as you are not supposed to mix alcohol, and my understanding with verap as well...it will increase the effects.Discuss with your pharmacist, if you want as well. In terms of attacks even on prevents for many alcohol will still trigger an attack...

Good luck...
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 1:51pm »

Sorry, cant really answer your question....in 31 years I have found nothing that triggers CH.

Although, I have been taking Lithium and Verapamil everyday for...shit, 14 years or so....and I like my beer...no probs so far Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 3:57pm »

Personally, I don't think prevents stop the cycle. I think they just help prevent the attacks. So, if alcohol is a trigger, I wouldn't do it. And yes, read your meds info, too.  
PF wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 7:01pm »

Thanks for the response guys. Most of the time beer is fine for me. Certains liquors I know will trigger one. I am just trying to figure out some stuff. I just had my 2 year anniversary of these, so now in October will be starting into the 3rd year. October is when things get going.  

In the past 2 years I never have relief until around summer time. Last year I started Topomax in the spring and things were fine until October and they got bad. This past year things were bad until July. I started Lithium and Verap. Things got better. And I was able to have a few drinks in August with no problems. Until last night I triggered one with a beer Angry

I remember the time when I was on the topomax too and I drank with no problems. The time frame was also in August.  

Am I in "remission" for a month? (If you can be) Or were the preventatives working in favor to drink? I just thought it was weird that it has been like this for the past 2 years.

Maybe I am lucky and have an open window for the month of August to drink with no CH! Any feedback?  

SORRY SO LONG!  brandi
IP Logged
kk
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 7:42am »

Enjoy it while you can. Three weeks ago I thought, “Hey, what the hell. I’m gonna get one anyway.” So I had a few Bourbon and cokes. 6 hours and 5 shots later the pain finally subsided. I swore off alcohol until these bastards go away. It’s not worth it for me. Never again!
IP Logged
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 8:49am »

I shouldnt but have had a few "mudslides" 5 % while wearing my 75ug/h Fentynal pain patch and thats only at bed time cause after just 2 cups lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala sleep w/o awaking hurting and last time I had more than 2 cups at DavCon05 I only stayed 2-3 hours then long drive home 6 blocks and long sleep and missed out big time with others :>( Terry who will not drink at Davcon06 except coffee or hot coco
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss