Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How do you decribe the pain? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How do you decribe the pain?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How do you decribe the pain?  (Read 2786 times)
Kim_for_Todd
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: How do you decribe the pain?
« Reply #25 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 8:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One way for people to have some understanding of the pain is to read this site. This thread in particular. It's been a Godsend for us in explaining to family and close friends.  

My sister has migraines and after reading Simon's collegue letter she was in tears. She then said she felt quilty complaining about a migraine.
IP Logged
Lissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 9:25am »

on Oct 10th, 2005, 12:30pm, Langa wrote:
I crawl on the floor, vomit on myself and bang my head on the wall until i get nosebleeds trying to get the imaginary icepick out of my brain, oh and let's not forget the runny nose you can't blow because you feel like your brains will come out of your ears,

OMG.  I got a cluster just reading this.   Grin Wink
IP Logged

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #27 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 6:35pm »

one of the best ones i can say is that its an intense orgasm of pain
otherwise i just shut up and let others tell me about their pain,and think well i wouldnt like that either!
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 8:08am »

How do I describe this ......to others.

Well I have tried nurmerous things, the letter, descriptions of the stabing in the eye, the pain that will never end, Jumping around, rocking, crying and so on.

One time I told a coworker that the day wasn't a good day and my headache was really bad even told my Dirctor of Nursing just in case I needed to go home.  One of the nurses I warned made a comment about which resident I recommend run the courts so trying to have a sense of humor I chose one. Undecided

Well needless to say to spite all that I stayed at work and got hit and she was there Hubby had to come and get me and she wouldn't leave my side.  She was crying too.  That day my hubby had to take me to the ER because the Trex 6mg didn't work and I was dying.

Next time I worked she was apologizing and admitted that she didn't think it was that bad.

Of course still trying to convince my fellow students but in time I am sure they to will understand.
Kim
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 7:42pm »

My beast has saved the pain from a million torture victims (bamboo under the finger nails, electric shock, testicle vise, filing taxes, etc.) and mixed in a bit of pain from walking on broken glass covered in rubbing alcohol, and just a touch of salt in a fresh papercut, fermented it for a few decades, then distilled it to get the most pure, festering pain possible, then concentrated it to a small little spot directly behind my eye, where it then grew tentacles overed in rusty razorblades, poisoned fangs, infected fish hooks, and oozed battery battery acid all over that side of my head just before the beast started stabbing a white hot ice pick into my eye over and over again until there's nothing left but a bloody, steaming, throbbing pulp to put back together and start all over again in a few hours.

PFDAN................................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #30 on: Oct 22nd, 2005, 2:40pm »

It reminds me of a Brain Freeze that doesnt go away after a few seconds.  From eye to my teeth!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #31 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 6:08am »

"Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space."

My tag line lists the utensils - Now the process.  

1). Light torch close to face and begin rotating egg
     beater

2). Forcefully insert egg beater through eye socket
     and increase rotation speed.

3). Insert lit torch slowly through nasal cavity until it  
     reaches close proximity to egg beater in  
     brain.  Quickly open gas cylinder to full. (Note: Do not
     forget to keep egg beater at full rotation just  
     because torch reaches maximum temp.)  

4). Adjust jaws of vise-grips until nearly closed.  
     Clamp to scalp, jaw, teeth, forehead, temple  
     (multiple devices are required to achieve
     optimum results).  (This choice is not yours to make
     so just play it by ear, Note: this may also require
     an additional device)

5). Insert pipe expander through invisible opening
     between egg beater in eye socket, and propane  
     torch in nasal cavity.  Expand to full and hold this  
     position until fear of pain enduced heart attack  
     peaks.

6). Now walk, run, bang head, etc., etc. (Note: take  
     your time, be creative here, this is the only thing you
     have some choice in so do it right).  

7). Best practices call for slow removal of devices in  
     reverse order of insertion.  (this choice is also not  
     yours to make so be prepared for some creativity  
     here). (some substitution of devices may take place  
     here just to keep things interesting).  Regardless  
     you'll know things are winding down so you won't  
     mind these last minute substitutions too much.      

Cool. Repeat as required.

SO NOW:  

"Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space."

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #32 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 7:30am »

You spend half a lifetime wondering just how bad can a migraine be from the people who complain about them - then the beast comes to live with you.

There's more to life than complaining and since it what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - then collectively we must have a fair bit going for us.  

And of course this website is one of those.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
hoosierdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Are we having fun yet?

« Reply #33 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 4:43pm »

Hello all,
       ..."it feels as if my head is giving birth to my brain and can't decide whether to use my right eye or right nostril as the birth canal."
   That's the funniest thing I've heard for days. Thanks for that. laugh

I don't let anyones opinion bother me. I suffer and go on and rarely attempt to explain the pain. But I would say everyones pain threashold is different and we have a tolerance that is hard to match. I had both my nipples pierced while totally sober, and the split second that the hollow needle was piercing my nipple was the closest I have ever came to a non CH related 10. But the Pain from the piercing ended as soon as the needle was through. For me I relate that same pain but piercing from my right eye to the base of my skull constently until the trex kicks in.  

So I would tell someone who wants to know what it feels like to go pierce their nipples and then thank God they are not CH Suffers.

C-Ya
Greg

IP Logged

..."it feels as if my head is giving birth to my brain and can't decide whether to use my right eye or right nostril as the birth canal."

Hoosier-Daddy?
;^)
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:07pm »

I just tell them that I would rather be fucked in the ass by John Holmes for three hours without any lube Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:08pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

rextangle

Email

« Reply #35 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:07pm, Jonny wrote:
I just tell them that I would rather be fucked in the ass by John Holmes for three hours without any lube Grin

That's what you said about a hangnail Jonny! laugh
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #36 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 6:10pm »

Do it with pictures or if they are lucky give them a real viewing

Then say hangnails are much worse
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 7:03pm »

Damnit Eric......that is NOT a Clustermasx. And you're one of the smart ones.  
I'm acrimonious.

Herd, Water, Cheap Sex.
RJ

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #38 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:03pm »

RJ,

It's in the mail......waiting patiently!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Lastdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

My II's are always open !!

Email

« Reply #39 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 7:14am »

Smiley Ther best one is when ya tell someone ya have CH, and they Oh Yeah I know what you mean I get bad Migraines!!  What a joke that is HUH??. One nite I went to the ER with a KIP 10, The nurse on duty was extremely sympathic, She gave me my shot but didn't say much at all. About 20 minutes when I was up and coherent she came back and told me that she has CHA also so she knew I needed to be left alone. She also told me that as a mother with CH , she'd "rather give birth to a hundred babies than to have 1 CH". I have also had the unfortunate experience of having a Kidney stone and I can tell you first hand that while the stone process is not something I look forward too, I'd much rather have that than another CH Cycle!! And in the 33 years of having CH the best was , during another nite at a different ER I had a woman DR who had the distinction of having all three Pains. She had three Boys all Natural , 4 bouts with Kidney stones , and lived with CHA  for 27 years. Know what she told me?? The Child Birth and the stone pain couldn't even come close to the pain she suffered while in a CH Cycle .Now we all know that most women will tell you that a man could never endure the pain of childbirth. A favorite argument of feminist Mothers. Now when I haer that I just smile to myself and say " yeah keep talking Lady cause you haven't got a clue " !!!  
 Wishing all of us PF D&N,
        Nico
IP Logged

Lastdaddy/Nico/Daddy
mabus
New Board Newbie
USA 

And the Beast shall be named Mabus - Nostradamus

« Reply #40 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 6:48pm »

on Oct 12th, 2005, 10:11pm, MJ wrote:

I descibe the pain when asked much as Rextangle says. I start getting into the description and then they say whats an ice cream headache, never had one of those.  

I frequently got ice cream aches when I was a kid, as did many of my friends.  I just assumed that everyone did.  But my neuro told me that not all people DO know that vaguely similar to CH feeling, as they aren't susceptable to "brain freeze'.  Apparently those people are never CH sufferers.

Did anyone out there that has clusters NOT get brain freeze when they were a kid eating ice cream?
IP Logged

.mm
owk
New Board Newbie
USA 

It'll be over soon!

« Reply #41 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 1:41pm »

Sorry mabus. I get CH attacks, episodic. I never got brain freeze.
IP Logged
Shaz
New Board Veteran
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #42 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 9:01am »

The pain description, I wont bother with because it is so similar to what the majority of you out there experience.  But I know just how frustrating it is to try to describe to other people.  As some of you have said unless somebody actually sees you going through an attack they have no idea.  Luckily all my family have at different times and they are all fantastic....

There was a quote on one of the replies saying that a doc compared it to a long hard labour.  I have had two very long hard labours.  Believe me, there is no comparison.... Give me more babies any day...........

I sit and read through so many of these posts and when I can contribute I do, but so few people are of aware of CH.  Nobody I know had ever even heard of them.  

THANK GOD FOR YOU LOT AND THIS SITE.  YOU HELP ME GET THROUGH IT.  I AM NOT ALONE ANYMORE XXX

Shaz  Kiss Kiss Kiss
IP Logged
MarcSeidl
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #43 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 11:43pm »

Wow.

My doc told me today that my headaches recently could be headaches.  But.  The pain I had is NOTHING compared to what many of you are describeing.  Yes, i had the Burning pain behind my eye, with the eyes bloodshot and running, and my nose too.  But I was able to fall alseep and even sit through one of my college lectures.  The pain was no were near the levels you are talking about.

My hats off to those of you with that horriable pain.
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #44 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 12:45am »

Send them to www.clusterbusters.com and have them scroll down to the video clip.
Once they have seen it, and apologize, and tell you they wish there was something they could do to help, tell them to scroll down a little farther to the "donate to research" tab.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #45 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 2:03pm »

mine start out making my left eye twitch and little needle like stabbing sensations, they keep getting worse until my left eye and temple area feel like it has a hot coal being pressed around inside. The pain gets so bad that I think I will pass out or sometimes I think I am dying, which doesn't seem like a bad alternative at the time.
IP Logged

If pain could have saved us, we long ago would have been cured.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss