Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « non medicating question? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   non medicating question?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: non medicating question?  (Read 441 times)
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

non medicating question?
« on: Oct 11th, 2005, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Regarding medications for clusters.

I read a site left on the welcome page, though very informative, it insinuates that "every cluster sufferer absolutely must be medicated."  

Question I have is, is everyone here in agreement with that statement????

Does every sufferer take medications?
 Yes or No or sometimes?

MJ
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005, 4:08pm by MJ » IP Logged

MJ
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: non medicating question?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 12:25pm »

on Oct 11th, 2005, 11:20am, MJ wrote:
Regarding medications for clusters.
I read a site left on the welcome page, though very informative, it states that "every cluster sufferer absolutely must be medicated."  
Question I have is, is everyone here in agreement with that statement????
Does every sufferer take medications?
 Yes or No or sometimes?

MJ

I'm not certain I've ever seen where that is written on the welcome page but a simple answer to your question is "no". The better question is whether treatments are available to help us deal with CH. To that the answer is "yes" and some of them include "medications", particularly various pharmaceuticals.  

Not everyone takes pharmaceutical drugs. But some/many do, quite effectively.
For some their only "treatment" is their oxygen tank, which can also be effective.  
Still others utilize "alternative treatments" which do not include pharmaceuticals.

All have their place and are worth learning more about.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 12:35pm »

Completely unmedicated here....can't take triptans, O2 never worked...afraid to try the alternate method...and by the time sterioids, verapamil and the like get to helping, my cycles are just about over with.

Jimmy
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 2:25pm »

Worst cycle I ever had, was while taking Verapamil and using Imitrex. Screw that... The mildest cycle I ever had, was using kudzu, last year. If the kudzu stops working, then screw it. I'll go "bare knuckles." I did it for seven years before I got diagnosed, except for eating my body-weight in Tylenol Sinus medication. Now that I know that it's not a brain tumor or anything like that, I'm not afraid of these headaches anymore. I dread them, but fuck it... I'm stronger than this condition, and I know the pain will pass.

My two pasetas' worth...
-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 2:58pm »

I'm with Scott here - where does it say that?

My husband has gone both routes.  We definitely feel that meds prolong cycles and spawn more attacks (Imitrex does for sure!).  He's had the longest cycle of his life this year (almost 10 months) and we're pretty sure it's the meds that prolonged things.  If he doesn't go chronic and does actually get a remission this time, I'm betting he will only use oxygen and ice next cycle.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 3:09pm »

damned if you do, damned if you don't
I had 2 years without insurance...
with no meds....
the condition progressed the fastest of any period

IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 3:56pm »

I went first three cycles with no meds - just ice packs, water, and a lot of grim determination to get through it.  Last cycle, I used Imitrex 50 mg tabs.  While not as great as other meds people talk about on these boards, the tabs did help shorten the hits, and sometimes stop them altogether.  I don't like taking meds of any kind.  I used the Kudzu with mixed results, and next cycle, I'm seriously thinking of trying the alternative methods rather than the trex.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 4:03pm »

My error it was the getting to know you page not the welcome page.
This was the link.

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 7:34pm »

Hi MJ.  Welcome.

The link you mentioned above is one that has been helpful to many here (myself included) when we were at our wit's end.

Personally, as an episodic, I've found Verapamil, Trex and Prednisone to be a magic elixer.  I also found that my last cycle lasted longer than usual.  Because of the meds?  That's the question.

I recommend you do as much reading and learning as possible.  That would include reading about the "alternative" mentioned above.  You can read about that at the following address:

http://www.clusterbusters.com

Aside from meds or alternative treatment, there are many who get some relief from exercise, heat/cold, oxygen therapy, etc.  It's all here.  Search the archives.

PF Wishes and Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 9:19pm »

I went a year and 1/2 with no meds, but only because the CH was very sporadic.    I would get hit a couple times, and then it would be a month before another.   The CH was not real bad.   The pain was only lasting 15 or 20 minutes.   It was tolerable.

The CH progressed over time, and before long, it was intolerable.   A full blown cycle, that seemed never ending convinced me that I would need the meds to keep the CH under control.

Currently I am taking Kudzu.   It's been working for me since Feb.   Guess I'll take it as long as it works.

Some clusterheads can't take meds, some have no luck with 02.    I can't see myself enduring the pain, when there's so many things out there that will help.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 10:39pm »

If people don't want to go the prescription route, there's always this page from the OUCH website:

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 12:14am »

Hi MJ

I don't think any of us like our drugs in particular because of the side effects, the duration of them working or the amounts we have to take.

But like in most things concerning CH it is different for everyone and it still stays your choice.

I for one will just go onto O2 if it was available to me.  I am now in a period where I ran out of meds and had to cope with the ch the old way.

We all used to do that for a number of years before we got diagnosed/meds.  Water, showers, ice packs, heavy breathing(this one we all still do), Charlie's method, etc.

My problem is just that when the pain gets out off hand, with the fear, insomnia, fatigue and depression setting in that people(myself included) want to give up on life.

Again not everyone get to that point but people are individuals and their personal lives with no support is a contributing factor.

There is where this board becomes a persons saving grace.  Here you can talk openly with other Chers and you WILL get advise and support.

I find this family my best medication because they always remind me that I'm not alone, that they understand fully about what I'm going through, that this will end and that we all always survive this.

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
chili_666
New Board Newbie
Germany 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 6:53am »

Same here:

I don´t like my medication - I hate the side effects and I have the feeling that they prolong the cycle and cause more attacks.

On the other hand:

Without medication I wouldn´t be here to talk about it. I just could not take it. The fear, the insomnia, the drain on my loved ones, depression, this whole being-out-of-control-of-your-life-thing.  

Sadly O˛ does nothing for me. No effect at all. Haven´t tried kudzu though, as I have only read about it a couple of days ago.

So I deal with the side effects, try to keep my body as healthy as can (by smoking and drinking buckets of coffee  Wink) and thats it.

Chili
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 10:36am »

The quote you are referring to shouldn't be taken that way.  

It states that all cluster headaches require "treatment".  Treatment and medication are quite different. I consider the Kudzu to be a "treatment" just as I consider O2 to be a treatment. What I agree with in this statement is the idea that with many other headaches you can normally function on some (abeit diminished) level while experiencing them, thus the conception that many have that we should just take some "extra-strength something or other" and get on with it. A CH can not be ignored and thus requires some kind of treatment, is what I read it to say. This could be a bag of peas on the neck and face, it could be running till you puke, or anything, but they require something to be done.

Or, metaphorically, "the beast will not be ignored".

Just my take....

Scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 11:33am »

Dont get me wrong I think the before mentioned site is awesome in the fact that so many treatment possibilities exist for so many with clusters.

I am like many where over the years so many treatments have been tried to no avail.  
Most either prolonged the agony, as some said, or made the pain much less bearable.  
Some meds created for me a drug induced fog that would not allow me to deal with the pain.  

I prefer the perfection of the purity of pain, know what it is and can then deal with it on a more clear and direct basis.  
(of course it usually takes about two weeks of severe and constant attacks to really deal with it.)

I tend to treat on the non-attack side for a clearer battle and faster recovery as I am hit so frequently in cycle rather than attempting to treat the pain itself.

You all are great.    MJ.
IP Logged

MJ
Maestro
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 10:59am »

Due to a bad heart condition I am on no meds.  Thankfully Oxygen works for me.  I keep it in my car as well as my home when I am in a cycle.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 3:05pm »

Maestro, I'm glad the O2 is working for you.  Have you checked into Zyprexa?  There are people here that say it gives fairly quick relief and supposedly it can be given to heart patients in lieu of triptans.  E-Double uses it.  Send him a PM.  I'm sure he will be happy to relate his experiences with it.

Do a search for Zyprexa or olanzapine in the links above.

If you haven't tried it, ask your doctor about it.

Edited to add:  Svenn is another member with a heart condition.  He uses Atacand as a preventative and has had fairly good results with it.  I'm tapering off neurontin now and will be trying the atacand next, myself.

« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005, 3:08pm by Gator » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss