Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « nerve damage? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   nerve damage?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: nerve damage?  (Read 510 times)
Dragonwynd
New Board Newbie
USA 

nerve damage?
« on: Oct 15th, 2005, 8:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey i am new here, but not new to CH's! I have been having them since I was 17 and I am now 44 going on 45. Mine have not started yet but with the days getting shorter they are just around the bend. My question is does anyone know about themselves or anyone else have nerve damage caused by CH's? The reason I ask is that my father had these and later on developed..(just going to spell it as it sounds) Tickdellaroo. In his face and the pain wasnt good either. If anyone knows anything I would like to know...Thanks for reading...........Dragonwynd
IP Logged

When you change the way you look at things ...The things you are looking at will change
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: nerve damage?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2005, 9:19am »

I believe you are referring to:
tic douloureux

... which is known by the more common name:
trigeminal neuralgia

There is no known relationship between trigeminal neuralgia and cluster headache.  The current thinking among the medical community is that both disorders have entirely separate causes.  The only known similarities are that both affect the trigeminal nerve and are excruciatingly painful.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if somebody were to discover that clusterheads are at greater risk to develop trigeminal neuralgia... it's just that there's no evidence indicating this to be so.

Here's a link or two about trigeminal neuralgia:

http://www.headaches.org/consumer/topicsheets/trigeminalneuralgia.html

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/trigeminal_neuralgia/trigeminal_neura lgia.htm

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 1:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The most common nerve damage associated with cluster headaches is a drooping eye lid on the side that gets hit - it is possible for the inflammation to affect the trigeminal nerve.  

I get twitching when the cluster nerves are irritated - technically this is a tic, but not Tic Douloureux.  I guess it is possible for a clusterhead to develop Tic Douloureux, but it does not seem to be common.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 8:13am »

From the research I have gathered - there is no permanent physical damage tied directly to CH.  Even the Horners Syndrone (drooping eyelid) is referenced as a tempory issue that occurs during periods of attacks.  

Those with long or chronic periods of attacks will obviously experience this condition for longer periods of time.  

Being chronic my only real physical concern is the effects of sleep deprivation which can cause all sorts of physical/mental problems.  I believe this should be a serious concern but I don't believe it is delt with very effectively (if at all) in most research I have found.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 6:31am »

It's kinda weird tho -- when we meet a clusterhead, we can usually "tell" which side hits them. The eye is different - droopy or red or something.  

I think my left eyelid is "permanently" drooped. At least from the inside.  

Don't know about CH and TN having anything to do with one another. I had a Trigeminal Riziotomy (microwaved the trigeminal nerve) back in 99 and it didn't stop the CH. Dr. Wayne Hurt in Houston has had a lot of success with this on Clusterheads, but it didn't work on me. All he treats is CH and TN so I'd say there is something in common there.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 8:13am »

I was reading the medical info on this site earlier this evening and it did mention TN....  

" Clinically, the concurrence of cluster headache and trigeminal neuralgia, the cluster-tic syndrome, in which both disorders are ameliorated by microvascular decompression of the sensory root of the trigeminal nerve, also points to a centrally mediated pain mechanism".

out of context it doesn't seem to make much sense - but I guess there is some connection???   have a look for yourself (link on left)  

Kate

IP Logged
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 8:04pm »

the droopy eye is coz its tired i think Embarassed its goes through a lot of pain Cry
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss