Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Coincidence or Connection? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Coincidence or Connection?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coincidence or Connection?  (Read 715 times)
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

Coincidence or Connection?
« on: Oct 18th, 2005, 3:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley
Hi,
I offer the following experience for consideration and wonder if anyone else has noticed anything similar. About 6 weeks ago, whilst in the middle of the longest Episode of CH that I have ever had, (started in March and still going strong in September), my GP prescribed me Flucloxacillin tabs for any infected big toe, (gardening accident). Within a week these were changed to Erithromycin tabs because they gave me a chronic and escalating headache, (not CH), and upset my already 'dodgy' stomach. From the first day of taking the Flucloxacillin my CH episode virtually stopped and did not reappear when this was changed to Erithromycin. I completed the course of Erithromycin more than a week ago and, so far, the CH  episode has not started again. The CH has not completely stopped but from the first day of taking the antibiotics I have had 2 very mild 'shadows, (Kip 1 or 2), and 1 Kip 3 or 4.
It may be worthwhile mentioning in this context that my normal CH episode pattern is 2 episodes each year, starting around March and October, each lasting for a couple of months or so. This being the case I would normally expect the CH to kick in again any time now, but it has not happened so far.
I have to admit that the most likely explanation is coincidence, but I wonder if anyone else has any similar or contrary experience  -  I cannot be the only CH sufferer that has taken similar antibiotics whist in cycle.
Nil illegitimum carborundum.
JoeKen.
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Coincidence or Connection?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 3:41am »

Hi Joe,
I don't know if there is anything in it or not but I'm on my last day or a week of antibiotics at the minute and they haven't made a blind bit of difference! This is my third course of antibiotics since I started having ch in September 2004 and not one course has helped me CH wise.  
I would hazard a guess your horribly long cycle is coming to a natural end and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! It's always worth mentioning stuff like this though as you never know what others experiences are - I could be the odd one out not you  Smiley
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 5:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Antibiotics taken while in cycle haven't affected my CH either but hey........who knows, maybe your system responds differently.
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 8:12pm »

on Oct 18th, 2005, 5:40am, Chillrmn1 wrote:
Antibiotics taken while in cycle haven't affected my CH either but hey........who knows, maybe your system responds differently.

Cant say one way or the other but when I first got hit about six years ago and both my Doc & myself knew nothing about CH and the HA's wouldn't go away, at the time there was a virus going around that was causing severe head aches so my Doc prescribed anti biotics in an attemp to kill what ever it was, the course of tablet lasted 10 days but within seven days my HA's had withered to just a mild nothing and by the tenth day they had gone completly, I therefore assuming that it was a virus I had.
How bloody wrong I was when five years later that damn virus came back to haunt me again, this time my Doc saw me going through a hit and picked straight up what it was, I have to admit that I did think of getting anti biotics again to see if they worked but things started to settle down so I didn't bother.

Who knows ? maybe we do react to meds differently and next time around I will suggest this to my Doc because she is receptive to my thoughts.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 11:34am »

My Dr put me on Indocin 25mg pills, before I could get any of the meds for CH... He told me if that didn't make the HA's go away.. that he agreed with me that I have CH... well it didn't stop the HA's, so I got my meds for CH...  

I guess its some kind of Antibotic, He told me to take them only for 3 days... if the HA's didn't stop, quit taking them...  

So I really do not know.... just my 2 cents...  

God Bless
Charlie

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 3:16pm »

on Oct 19th, 2005, 11:34am, jcmquix wrote:
My Dr put me on Indocin 25mg pills, before I could get any of the meds for CH... He told me if that didn't make the HA's go away.. that he agreed with me that I have CH... well it didn't stop the HA's, so I got my meds for CH...  

I guess its some kind of Antibotic, He told me to take them only for 3 days... if the HA's didn't stop, quit taking them...  

So I really do not know.... just my 2 cents...  

God Bless
Charlie

Indocin (Indomethacin) is an NSAID like ibuprofen or naproxen.

The med is normally prescribed up to 300mg to differentiate between Paroxysmal Hemicrania and Cluster Headache.  Indocin is almost 100% effective in the treatment of Paroxysmal Hemicrania.  The main drawback to Indocin is that it is rough on the stomach.  Typically an antacid (my doc told me to take OTC zantac75) is prescribed along with it.

Taking only 25mg for 3 days really isn't enough of a trial to determine whether it would work or not.

IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 3:25pm »

Indomethacin or Indocin is a wonderful drug and I wish everyone would try it because if it works for you then you WILL be pain free. Who gives a hoot what label gets put on your ha's if you can get rid of them eh?! I tried Indo very early on in my cycle and if wishing it would work could have made it so then the first dose would have done the trick. Sadly it had no benefit for me whatsoever and to say I was gutted is an understatement.

Yes you do need strong antacids with it but as far as I'm concerned I'd recommend everyone with multiple hits a day tries it.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 3:40pm »

Probably coincidence.

Regarding indocin.

I was on it for over a yr to treat ice-pick HA which I get along with clusters.

It kept the zaps away but not the clusters.

When I had to come off of it so that I could try lithium for clusters (can't mix), I was whacked with the most god awful rebound HA's that literally lasted days.

It was as debilitating.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 9:01pm »

During my first episode, I went to the doctor, he gazed up my nose, and made the pronouncement of sinus infection. I took antibiotics and the headaches stopped.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but immune activation is one component of the disease.  Having lots of nasty bacteria so close to the trigeminal nerve might be as bad for some people as MSG is for others.  

Antibiotics also have some powerful effects that are totally unrelated to stopping bacteria - they can be anti-inflammatory, or stimulate the growth of some cells just like growth hormone (that's why they are given to animals in their feed in doses too small to have an antibiotic effect - more chicken meat, quicker!).  

Antibiotics are not a sure fire treatment for clusters, but by all means, treat any infections that you have, whether in the sinuses or the toes.  Episodics seem to have a problem with blood flow around the sinuses, and an infection there can only make things worse.  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Sinus+Proble ms
http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Neti+Pot

IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 9:14am »

Well Thanks for the info Guys...  

God Bless & PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Lissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 12:37pm »

The last episode I had was triggered by my going off an anti-depressant known as Effexor.
IP Logged

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 5:18pm »

Smiley
Hi again,
Having started this thread going I thought that I would bring it to a close. The concensus of opinion seems to be in favour of coincidence, and I accept that that is the most likely 'explanation'. However, having finished taking the antibiotic 2 to 3 weeks ago, the CH has returned. It's like clockwork every day, starting between 4 and 5 pm. I hit it with Almotriptan and oxygen as soon as it is apparent that it's here to stay and an hour later I am back to normal. I can live with this level, but dread it escalating.
Thanks to all those who read the thread, and particularly to those who responded.
Nil illegitmum carborundum.
JoeKen.
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 9:07pm »

WinkSorry you cant stop it once it is started. Only the thread fairies can stop a thread. I have speculated over the years on things such and this. Just when you think you have something isolated and feel you know what the beast will do...Bam and back to speculating we go.
coincidence I think.
But what do I know. Tongue
Find what works for you and drive on.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 4:18am »

There's definitely some sinus connection - first heavy cold in the Autumn gets me every time.

I've noticed no impact with antibiotics and cluster headaches. Tried a few antibiotics as well, seeing as the doctors diagnosed me with Sinusitis for the first 6 years of atacks !!!

Interesting point - yesterday the GP who was helping get a new 02 cyclinder for the current cluster linked Sinustis to Clamydia (sp?) in that it's usually the same antibiotioc that works for both!

Know the feeling about the onset - hope it stays clear for you

IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 1:22pm »

Indo in the ass (Shut up Helen) work great for me as an abortive (50 mgs I think) ...then they stopped making it in that form, but thats cool......Now I have Zomig NS which works just as fast as Trex injects....without the rebounds and 7X's the half life Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 1:27pm »

on Oct 29th, 2005, 1:22pm, Jonny wrote:
Zomig NS which works just as fast as Trex injects....without the rebounds and 7X's the half life Grin

7X the half life, meaning what?  Unused Zomig NS can last in your medicine cabinet longer than Trex?

BMonee

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 1:38pm »

on Oct 29th, 2005, 1:27pm, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:

7X the half life, meaning what?  Unused Zomig NS can last in your medicine cabinet longer than Trex? NO

BMonee

It stays in your system 7x as long....half life is the time it takes one half an atom to deteriorate into a smaller atom.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2005, 1:38pm by E-Double » IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 2:20pm »

Coincidence. Antibiotics never had an effect on my clusters. I'm taking Penicillin VK 500mg X 4 day now, no effect.

UNsolved
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 2:36pm »

on Oct 29th, 2005, 1:38pm, E-Double wrote:

It stays in your system 7x as long....half life is the time it takes one half an atom to deteriorate into a smaller atom.

So typically Trex works for about 4 to 6 hours, Zomig NS lasts for 30 hours or longer?
Damn, 1 dose per day should keep the beast away!!
BMonee

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 3:18pm »

I'm clueless, sorry, wish I wasn't...
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 6:11pm »

I took indomethacin and within 3 days my ha stopped for 5 months then they started again.  So it can act quickly.  The medicine never worked again for me.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2005, 6:12pm by Karla » IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #21 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 3:13pm »

In reply to Karla,
I had similar experience with Verapamil. I went from chronic daily attacks to years without a cluster cycle (no maintenance meds either). The verapamil definately kicked some cluster headache butt. When following cycles did occur, the Verapmil seemed to be no help at all - even in very large doses. Yet the last cycle I had, it seemed to take care of things pretty well. I was given Prednisone taper initially also, and Maxalt as abortive. This combo seems to do it for me these days. Very odd how cluster attacks seem to move around what ever meds are used. In my case the verapamil was worth a try again. Rich
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss