Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Clusters, Bipolar and Hypothalmus »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Clusters, Bipolar and Hypothalmus
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clusters, Bipolar and Hypothalmus  (Read 1204 times)
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

Better living through oxygen!

Clusters, Bipolar and Hypothalmus
« on: Oct 24th, 2005, 6:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Lets see who jumps up for this one.  I have had CH for 30 years, currently no pain (see posting below).  I have also, recently, been diagnosed as Bipolar II, rapid cycling.  This is not a big problem.  I also have sleep "issues" but I am very good looking so it all balances out.  OK, maybe I just have a sense of humor.  At any rate the recent research on hypothalmus disorder and mood, serotonin, and cluster headache is intriguing to me.  I guess I wish I had an explanation for it all!  Is there anyone else out there who has been diagnosed with BP and/or aware of any connection between the two.  Thanks.
IP Logged

"If you can treat it over-the-counter it isn't a headache"
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: Clusters, Bipolar and Hypothalmus
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 6:07pm »

I think the shroom doctors are looking at treating bipolar also.  I'll let the fungi fiends elaborate as I don't know what I'm talking about.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
rextangle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 6:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello Spike,

Sorry you have to be here, but welcome.
I don't know anybody personally that has CH and also Bipolar. A few of the members here suffer from anxiety and depression. Feel free to ask questions, that's what we're here for.

Best of luck to you,
Rex
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 6:23pm »

Hi Good Looking Grin  I am not bipolar, but I do have sleep issues...fairly significant ones in my view.  My insomnia, when I'm going through a period with it, is about as regular as my CH when I'm in cycle...I can set a clock by it.  I have speculated for a long time that there is a hypothalamathingy connection to both problems.  Who knows? Huh

Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 6:57pm »

It's also being examined for OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and probably should be for Depression too.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 7:00pm »

on Oct 24th, 2005, 6:07pm, Bob P wrote:
I think the shroom doctors are looking at treating bipolar also.  I'll let my fun guy friends elaborate ....

Psilocybin is also being examined for OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and probably should be for Depression too.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 7:10pm »

Two personalities posting there... Paul my dear? laugh
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 7:19pm »

Also not Bipolar.  I'm also fairly certain that if CH wasn't ripping into me most nights, I wouldn't have a sleep disorder either.  But things being as they are, I don't sleep well.  I'm either fighting off an attack or  anticipating when the next one will arrive.  Ain't this nightmare grand?  

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 7:55pm »

Not bi-polar but hey I could be. TongueLOL I would think if we did a poll you would find a fair amount of depression of all types as well as a high amount of sleep disorders.
But what do I know Wink I have all of the above to some extent and I to believe this has some relation to CH.
 Huh
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 12:03pm »

Guilty as accused.  Not definitively as far as the bi-polar is concerned but it's a possibility.
My doc has treated me for depression and anxiety for years and recently suggested the poss. of bi-polar and sent me to a shrink who didn't think so.  However I agreed to try Depakote for my CH and as it is also used to treat bi-polar who really knows.  It has helped with the frequency of hits which has certainly helped with my "mood". Am still trying to get a handle on the insomnia.  Back on the melatonin til it quits working again.
Too bad "mental illness" has such a stigma attached.  Hell I think we're all crazy as bedbugs.
JMHO
Kim
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 12:18pm »

So far so good, only the mentally challenged here with a slight overindulgence in insanity, a plea of uncontrolled depression and a definite insomnia affinity.

But the one thing we all have, that stands like a pole above the water, in our not so sober habits and not so perfect health is our sense... not of direction... but of humour.

So Hi! Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 12:59pm »

I have CH - my oldest son, I belive has CH my younger son is Bi-polar If he ever develops CH we might not know because of all the Meds that he is on. Doc says that it is all genetics. The same gene is the cause for both.  

Gena
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 4:11pm »

on Oct 24th, 2005, 6:07pm, Bob P wrote:
I think the shroom doctors are looking at treating bipolar also.  I'll let the fungi fiends elaborate as I don't know what I'm talking about.

My advice: DO NOT use psychedelics if you have bipolar disorder.

Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe.

"Mushrooms or LSD may exacerbate symptoms of psychosis and they may trigger psychosis in people who were psychotic in the past".

Please read this WARNING page from clusterbusters.com very carefully:

http://www.clusterbusters.com/warning.htm

There are some experienced psychiatrists doing research on psilocybin in the treatmant of anxiety disorders, OCD and other psychiatric disorders (Franz Vollenweider, Charles Grob, Francisco Moreno).

If you have bipolar disorder, don't use psychedelics unless it is being administered by a psychiatrist in one of their research studies.

BB
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2005, 4:14pm by BikerBob » IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 8:54pm »

on Oct 24th, 2005, 6:03pm, Spike_Inmyeye wrote:
Lets see who jumps up for this one.  I have had CH for 30 years, currently no pain (see posting below)

Your clearly an idiot....why are you people posting to this?

LMMFAO Grin

on Oct 25th, 2005, 4:13pm, Spike_Inmyeye wrote:
Last night the police sprayed me with pepper spray and shot me with the taser.  My CH went away.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Worked quicker than the O2.

Hmmmmmmmm  Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2005, 8:59pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 9:05pm »

on Oct 25th, 2005, 8:54pm, Jonny wrote:

Your clearly an idiot....why are you people posting to this?

I agree, what an idiot!! Maybe skitzo or MPD  Wink Probably don't even have clusters !! Maybe meegraines !! LOL

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2005, 9:07pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 11:16pm »

on Oct 24th, 2005, 6:03pm, Spike_Inmyeye wrote:
Lets see who jumps up for this one.

Cheesus. Talk about Troll bait.  
NOBODY here is qualified to integrate BP and CH. Nobody.

Spike, if your intention was to start poorly, then lose ground.....you're doing fine.

WTF are you up to? Inquiring minds are wasting valuable brain cells.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

Many of the seasonal changes occurring in animals
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 1:34am »

Have you really lost your sense of humor?  Come on, laugh a little, even if it is at yourself and certainly at the headaches.  Life isn't that serious.  After 30 years I have found that the best revenge to the pain is to laugh.  So, yeah, the taser didn't work real well but when they clubbed me I felt better!  You might want to try it.

If you are interested in the relationship between CH and SAD/Bipolar read the following (Funct Neurol. 1998 Jul-Sep;13(3):263-72):

Many of the seasonal changes occurring in animals appear to be associated with photoperiodic modifications, and particularly with the duration of the phases of exposure to light and dark. The integration of these processes is made possible by the normal functioning of biological oscillators or synchronizers, presumably located at the hypothalamic level. Cluster headache (CH), seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and bipolar mood disorders are conditions bearing numerous analogies, particularly as regards the temporal pattern of disturbances, the nature of predisposing or precipitating factors, the peculiar relationship with sleep, the neuroendocrine findings, and the clinical response to current treatments. The secretion of melatonin, which is influenced by the light/dark cycle, displays a bimodal pattern, which is likely to be dictated by the activity of distinct synchronizers for light and dark. Changes in the secretory pattern of this neurohormone have also been documented in both CH and SAD. The possibility of normalizing the secretory rhythm of melatonin by means of phototherapy in SAD, and the therapeutic use of the hormone to prevent the recurrence of active phases in CH, represent further interesting similarities between these two disorders. Melatonin, acting as a unique neuroendocrine transductor of photic inputs, may therefore be viewed as a marker of dyschronic disease to be used in patients suffering from CH and affective illness, for both diagnostic purposes and to assess the response to pharmacological and non pharmacological treatments.
IP Logged

Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #17 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 2:55am »

not bipolar but MPD and as all others sleep issues, also OCD, and ADD.  Ok as everyone here knows I am scewered up. Also Manic Depressant, which helped when I was active duty, no fear was a whole new level for me back then. I was told by phyc in Navy that all my conditions seem to be related, of course then didnt know what HA's was just that they where bad. They went through scrapped sinisus(sp), pulled teef, Injected, inspected, and infected me all the time. They did at least try to help. But to be honest I cant really say for sure if they are related. well good luck on your quest.

Mike
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 7:38am »

Bi-polar is the BIGGEST problem area identified by the neurologists etc who are looking into Psilocybin and CH.

If you are Bipolar - mushrooms can make the condition a lot worse.

So CH drives you mad and the cure could make you even madder.  Tea Party and March hares anyone?
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Melissa

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 7:23am »

Well, episodic CH'er here with depression, anxiety/panic disorder and a huge addiction to chocolate at the moment. Undecided  Anyway, I believe since the hippopotamus is responsible for seritonin, regulation of mood, and is also a stem of our CH's, that it's all relative man. Wink  

I would also have to say, that curing one, doesn't mean it'll cure the other.  Besides, I'll never be "cured" of my depression or anxiety/panic anyway.  It may disappear for awhile, years even, but it can always come back...  Just like my clusters.  

As for Bipolar, well, my mom had it, but had migraines, not clusters.  Finding a common cause is like me winning the lottery. Undecided

IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 10:46am »

Sure, Go ahead and blame the "Hippopotamus"

but leave the chocolate out of it
IP Logged

MJ
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

« Reply #21 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 4:29am »

I think she was referring to the hypotenuse.  I have suffered from this condition for quite some time.  It causes me to wake up at night thinking of triangles and large animals that live in rivers.  Of note is that the Hippo is not found in the Antartic or the Artic so, obviously, it is not bipolar.  As far as the CH is concerned there has got to be a connection.  Too many similarities.
IP Logged

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 1:32pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2005, 4:29am, Spike_Inmyeye wrote:
 As far as the CH is concerned there has got to be a connection.  Too many similarities.

Well if you insist. Roll Eyes

We just didn't want to tell you because you are new here but we all do have some bi-polar displacement.

Everyone on my side of the equator live near the South Pole (no Santa) and all that live on the other side live near the North Pole (where Santa lives)

I hope this explains the connection.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 2:37pm »

Well I see that while I was out of town for a few days nobody lost their sense of humor.
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

« Reply #24 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 4:36pm »

I think I am getting it.  So, Santa up here, no Santa down there.  Penguins down there, no penguins up here.  Polar bears up here, no polar bears down there. Is that the bipolar difference?  So we celebrate "noel" then you must celebrate "leon."  I always have my headaches on the left but down there they would be on my right.  If I take my lithium orally up here then . . . nevermind!

I think the hypothalmus research is a big deal.  I remember 30 years ago when CH was caused by "stress" and/or was of hysterical origin.  It really wasn't taken seriously and there was no research.  Now that a specific organic characteristic has been identified it has caught the attention of the academics and, hopefullly, the pharmacutical companies.  Also it give me a reference point, much the same as a torn tendon explains why my knee hurts.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss