Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 3:53am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « smoking and the ch cycles »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   smoking and the ch cycles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: smoking and the ch cycles  (Read 474 times)
jeffmc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

smoking and the ch cycles
« on: Oct 25th, 2005, 5:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

well here we go again last night it beat me to death after going the spring and summer. my question to anyone is do you smoke or did you smoke then quit and not have any more ch's or does smoking have no effect on ch cycles last night was terrible and i dont know if i can go through another 4 or 5 months of this
IP Logged
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

Re: smoking and the ch cycles
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 5:10pm »

I have gone without smoking with no changes and started back smoking with no changes. I don't smoke now and still no difference.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 5:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Smoking has never had an effect on my clusters. I quit once for nearly a year and still had clusters everyday.  Undecided

PF Wishes
UNsolved
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 6:58pm »

No difference here either.  

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 8:46pm »

Quitting actually is what  morphed my CH to the point I finnaly got properly diagnosed in the long run.

I started again during the wait for the MRI looking for the brain tumor, before the words CH were uttered.  No change back to to pre-quit stage.

IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 7:07am »

no difference
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 9:19pm »

No difference here, didn't quit for the CH though. I quit for the trex. Sometime in the future I'm sure my heart will thank me for it.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
madprof
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 8:29pm »

I quit and it helped a lot. It didn't kill the beast in my case as I gather in many others. One difference is that I don't have shadows all the time. When I smoked I had them almost every day whether in cycle or not. Being shadow-free may not seem such a big deal, but daily shadows always felt like I was under surveillance by an assassin.

An upper respiratory infection is enough to bring put me in cycle if the stars are otherwise in alignment, so in my case at oxygen deficiency seems to play a role whether aggravated by tobacco or not. My llst of things that put on track a life once seriously detoured by CH: 1: diagnosis, 2: oxygen, 3: quitting smoking, and 4, no higher: cafergot then and imitrex now.  

I'm in my first cycle in ten years, had been hoping that passing forty would put an end to the twice-yearly cycles that began when I was 19. The last one went on for over a year, both eyes, back and forth, closest I ever came to being chronic. If one thing has made a huge difference it is this board, sure many of you have had the same relief at not feeling so alone in the daily battle. Anyway, thanks to all who keep this thing going.  

Finally, going way off-topic, anyone tried one of the cluster-busters' treatments? I'm so skeptical after so many disappointing miracle cures, but I'll try anything. Though this one scares me a little.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 10:18pm »

Prof....check your PM's.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
PPRanch
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 3:59am »

Strangely enough, smoking actually gives me some sense of relief (perhaps just psychological, perhaps "vascular-constricting" properties of nicotine).....on the other hand, I'm wondering about second-hand smoke irritating my nostrils....could POSSIBLY be a trigger ...jury still out on that
IP Logged
hoosierdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Are we having fun yet?

« Reply #10 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 4:57pm »

Jeffmc,
  Smoking makes no differance for me. I can't drink when I'm in cycle though. I tried Saturday to have a Captian and Coke and made it through the first ok but half way through the second I had to take a trex injection and swore I will never drink in cycle again.
  But, I fired up a Marlboro and paced around my garage until the trex kicked in. I have tried in the past and everytime I drink during cycle I get hit instantly.

C-Ya
Greg
IP Logged

..."it feels as if my head is giving birth to my brain and can't decide whether to use my right eye or right nostril as the birth canal."

Hoosier-Daddy?
;^)
drivin_blind
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:32am »

on Oct 26th, 2005, 7:07am, Sandy_C wrote:
no difference

THANK GOD. The thought of quitting gives me a headache! (plus the few times I did try, my co-workers described me as...what was that word...ah...a prick.)
IP Logged

The true measure of a hero is when a man lays down his life with the knowledge that those he saves....will never know.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #12 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:40am »

i quit 8 years ago, don't really know whether it had any effect. couldn't smoke during a hit anyway -- kind of heightened mine.

as far as quitting versus not quitting I'll always encourage someone to quit. I do feel better not being a smoker, physically, mentally, etc... (what would be etc...  in this case?...)

as for timing, doing it during a cycle you can take advantage of already having an excuse to be prick to begin with and just throw a little nicotine withdrawal on top of the shit you're putting up with already. Behind every fucked yup situation is an opportunity peaking out at ya! laugh

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss